Check-in at Monterrey, NL / MTY

Old Oct 26, 2007, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Check-in at Monterrey, NL / MTY

I was reviewing AA.com and it recommends check-in 3 hours prior to departure at all Mexico airports. Is this really necessary at MTY? How about if I'm not checking bags? Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2007, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Platinum
I have houses and MTY and in Fort Lauderdale, so I am VERY familiar with the drill. No way you need to be there three hours in advance.

There is a premium check in line (business class, I think it says) that I always use because I'm EXP. I see you're gold, but you could probably use that line anyway and not get lambasted.

I usually try to get there about 90 minutes before the flight. I have been there about 60 before and not had a problem (not checking bags if 60 minutes).

Security is a breeze (no laptops out, shoe removal) and if you set off the detector, they just "wand" you right there. None of that TSA nonsense of "male assist on line 1, female assist on line 2" nonsense.

No AC, but there's an AMEX Centurion lounge you can get into if you have an American Express Gold or higher.

If your flight leaves midday, be sure to allow time to get to the airport as traffic can be heavy (morning, mid-afternoon and late afternoon/evening).

Business or pleasure? There are lots of things to do there - hiking in the national park or high end shopping in Colonia del Valle. I'm afraid Starbucks has taken over, however...

Enjoy!
Old Oct 26, 2007, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by El Miameo
I have houses and MTY and in Fort Lauderdale, so I am VERY familiar with the drill. No way you need to be there three hours in advance.

There is a premium check in line (business class, I think it says) that I always use because I'm EXP. I see you're gold, but you could probably use that line anyway and not get lambasted.

I usually try to get there about 90 minutes before the flight. I have been there about 60 before and not had a problem (not checking bags if 60 minutes).

Security is a breeze (no laptops out, shoe removal) and if you set off the detector, they just "wand" you right there. None of that TSA nonsense of "male assist on line 1, female assist on line 2" nonsense.

No AC, but there's an AMEX Centurion lounge you can get into if you have an American Express Gold or higher.

If your flight leaves midday, be sure to allow time to get to the airport as traffic can be heavy (morning, mid-afternoon and late afternoon/evening).

Business or pleasure? There are lots of things to do there - hiking in the national park or high end shopping in Colonia del Valle. I'm afraid Starbucks has taken over, however...

Enjoy!
Thanks for the great feedback!!! I wonder if that lounge takes Priority Pass. I'll bet at the InterContinental and my flight departs at 0930. How much time should I allow to get to the airport? I'll assume arrival at MTY by 0800 is sufficient. Unfortunately, I won't have much time to long around and will probably be stuck at the hotel for most of my conference. Do I preclear at MTY or clear customs at DFW?
Old Oct 26, 2007, 6:56 pm

The Intercontinental is nice. I'd leave about 715-730 to arrive by 800-815 and I think that's fine. This is Mexico, so you know, 15 minutes one way or the other isn't "late."

Customs is in Dallas (no preclear in MTY), and the new customs area in DFW is HUGE if you haven't been there yet. Brand spanking new and clean as a whistle.

Not sure on priority pass at Centurion lounge. Might find something if you Google it?

I'm actually going to MTY myself on Monday-Thursday since I'll be in Dallas for a meeting.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Thanks for the great feedback!!! I wonder if that lounge takes Priority Pass. I'll bet at the InterContinental and my flight departs at 0930. How much time should I allow to get to the airport? I'll assume arrival at MTY by 0800 is sufficient. Unfortunately, I won't have much time to long around and will probably be stuck at the hotel for most of my conference. Do I preclear at MTY or clear customs at DFW?
I would leave at 7:30 probably. Allow up to an hour to get there. Tell your taxi driver to take the toll road if you want to be safer to avoid a traffic jam - just be prepared to pay the toll (it's like $3 or something).

Getting to the airport an hour before your flight is plenty at MTY, but the traffic can be ugly. MTY remains the only flight I have missed in the past 5 years - and it was because of traffic, though that was before the toll road opened.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by El Miameo
The Intercontinental is nice. I'd leave about 715-730 to arrive by 800-815 and I think that's fine. This is Mexico, so you know, 15 minutes one way or the other isn't "late."

Customs is in Dallas (no preclear in MTY), and the new customs area in DFW is HUGE if you haven't been there yet. Brand spanking new and clean as a whistle.

Not sure on priority pass at Centurion lounge. Might find something if you Google it?

I'm actually going to MTY myself on Monday-Thursday since I'll be in Dallas for a meeting.
Great, thanks! Any restaurant recommendations near the hotel?
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:27 pm

There's a one called Casa de Mais (or something like that) in the barrio antigua. It's awesome. I found it hard to go wrong for food in Monterrey, though.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:46 pm

So, if you were to ask at the hotel, they would probably send the tourists to one of these, which are mostly good.

El Rey del Cabrito (traditional regional spit roasted goat)
Las Pampas (Argentine)
San Carlos or El Tio (both Mexican Traditional)

HOWEVER, near the hotel I would recommend La Valentina. There's one in Valle and one in Barrio Antiguo, so make sure they take you to the one that's in Valle. It's a Mexican traditional, which means mostly meat (they bring it tableside so you can choose) and it's moderately priced. There's an Italian restaurant (Italianis) nextdoor so if you get there and decide you'd rather opt for Italian, you have a choice.

On the high end side, the Hotel Quinta Real has a very nice restuarant that is on par with restuarant prices in the US for fine dining (about 200 for two with wine and dessert). Not sure if the conference budget will cover that.

If you want to go to the oldest part of the city, it will be less than $10 cab from your hotel and go to Ianelli, an Italian restaurant in Barrio Antiguo. It's very quaint and also reasonably priced.

After that, definitley head to Havana, a bar that's also not too far away. The restaurant can call you a cab if you need to cab it from Valentina. It's kind of upscale (business casual), but will be a great place for a group after meetings all day.

Okay, better get back on topic - AA in MTY or the webmaster will delete us.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:04 pm

Programs: Mediocre AA Stew
You will love the MTY ground staff too.... they are great.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by s80dude
You will love the MTY ground staff too.... they are great.
Indeed they are. Though MTY was much more fun to fly out of before the unofficial AA "not really an Admirals club" closed about two years ago. RIP.

I like flying CO out of there as at least there is AM lounge access if you have status.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 8:14 am

Programs: Mediocre AA Stew
Back when we used to have long layovers, Sergio, the AA mechanic in MTY, and Jose, the station agent, would come downtown to our hotel and take us to a bar/restaurant where the waitresses dressed as nuns. That was always a good time.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by s80dude
Back when we used to have long layovers, Sergio, the AA mechanic in MTY, and Jose, the station agent, would come downtown to our hotel and take us to a bar/restaurant where the waitresses dressed as nuns. That was always a good time.
I happened in on that place one time by accident... really enjoyed it. Isn't it called something like "El Monastero?"
Old Oct 27, 2007, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
I happened in on that place one time by accident... really enjoyed it. Isn't it called something like "El Monastero?"
"Las Monjitas"... always gives me a chuckle.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:33 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
TWA Guy - I'm also due to go to a conference in MTY soon - beginning of December. When are you there?
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
TWA Guy - I'm also due to go to a conference in MTY soon - beginning of December. When are you there?
Dec. 2-5, and yourself?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.