Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Enroll in the Citibank® / AAdvantage® Debit card — and get 10,000 AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enroll in the Citibank® / AAdvantage® Debit card — and get 10,000 AA miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2007, 8:20 am

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
Originally Posted by shoodawg
So did you call citi today or American Airlines Advantage Customer Service?

I called the number on the offer page - it was Citibank.
At the bottom of the form it said "Still have questions? Call 1-800-374-9700"
Old Oct 21, 2007, 2:27 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Now 2K

The link now goes to an offer for 2K miles for 'basic' and 4K for 'premium.' I don't know what those are but the miles seem paltry for the effort. I think you will end up spending quite a bit for these miles.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by thebat
The link now goes to an offer for 2K miles for 'basic' and 4K for 'premium.' I don't know what those are but the miles seem paltry for the effort. I think you will end up spending quite a bit for these miles.
2k miles definitely not worth the time and effort. I called the number provided in dalm's post above, and was told that there is a note on my account to credit the 10k AA miles.

Just as a reference, I signed up for the debit card back in Jul 07, 3 statements ago.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by rrgg
Originally Posted by lin821
It was still a 10K offer when I re-checked and posted the pointer on Friday, 10/18/07.

They must have updated the offer over the weekend to reduced 2K/4K bonuses. Maybe Citi was having too much problem with the original 10K offer? Just hope it wouldn't affect my 10K posting sometime in December.
If you've read any of the Citi checking/savings threads, then I hoped you learned to make a screenshot of what you saw, and with a valid expiration date. Maybe you had an old page in your browser cache.
I did. When I signed myself up in September, the deal was still 10K bonuses and expired on 9/30/07. I was giving jeelele the same advice to keep copies of EVERYTHING. Read my post#91 (also cited below for your convenience ):

Originally Posted by lin821
I jumped in this promo late in game....

As I did with all the promo, rebates and special offers, I print out everything and keep a hard copy. My 3rd statement will be in late December..
I believe the offer terms were updated and bonuses reduced sometimes in October. Right before I hinted jeelele the link (see post #99), I did verify the link in #3 on 10/18/07 and was seeing 10K offer on the top of the screen. I didn't think too much about the change of terms in October, giving I'd done the promo. However, when I re-visited the linked page on 10/20/07 after reading jeelele's reply, 10K was indeed gone. To me, that linked page was updated between 10/18/07 evening and 10/20/07 morning. Maybe it's the browser cache thing. I don't know.

I just can't emphasize enough to keep a hard copy of every promo, rebate and offer. That's for our own protection when things go wrong.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 5:50 am

I had a message exchange on the Citibank site with customer service about the 10,000 miles early on. This week, I emailed them about not getting the miles and referenced the earlier email. They replied that it had not been credited yet, but they would investigate and send me a letter with the resolution.

Trying to get from 85K FF miles to 100, (by eating)
Tony
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT; 1MM
3 billing cycles after annual fee hits

FWIW: I called them today to check on my mileage bonus. I enrolled in July, was hit with the $25 charge on 8/20 and was told today that the 10,000 bonus would show up after my 3rd billing cycle following the charge. So that means August + 3 cycles and we're into December/January. If I don't see anything by then, I am to call back and inquire again.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:51 pm

Hi, the same problem happened to me. Would you please send me one copy? I will keep fighting with them. Thanks a lot!
[email protected]

Originally Posted by jeelele
Thanks dalm, another user just sent one to me this afternoon. I have faxed it to them. I will update this thread when I hear from them.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
I called today and the Citibank supervisor said that it has always been 4,000 miles for the 5 years she has worked there.

I told her the offer was for 10,000 miles when I signed up.

She said there must have been a problem with the website. Never the less, she'll make sure that when I get the 4,000 miles in December (I signed up in September) she'll give me an additional 6,000.

Go figure.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
This is so irritating! I signed up for the card back in July, and since then have been feeding the account with just enough to keep it from overdrawing with the monthly fees ($25/month). I figured I would wait for the 10k miles to post and then cancel the account.

So it has been three billing cycles, and no bonus miles have posted.

I called Citibank and the woman (who sounded like she was on another planet from the echoey, crackly phone connection) said that she didn't see anything about 10k miles showing on my account, and that I should call AAdvantage. (Right, like AA will know anything about my Citi account!)

Have I fallen sucker and lost $60-70 to get NO miles?!?!?!

Is it even worth keeping this up? I mean, I'm not willing to keep putting money into an account to pay monthly fees just in case Citi eventually gets around to crediting me the 10k!
Old Oct 26, 2007, 6:45 pm

deleted

Last edited by shoodawg; Jul 18, 2009 at 7:30 pm
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I believe that fees are waived when you activate direct deposit.
Yes, but I'm not interested in switching over my direct deposit. I have a long-standing relationship with another bank. I just got this Citibank account long enough to get the 10k miles, then I'm out. I figured that I could feed it for a little while until the miles posted. The problem is it's getting to be longer and longer, and I hate just handing over money for no reason.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:32 pm

deleted

Last edited by shoodawg; Jul 18, 2009 at 7:30 pm
Old Oct 26, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.3MM, WN A+/CP, HH DIA, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
I believe that fees are waived when you activate direct deposit.
Minimum balance fees have been waived for me due to a promo under which I opened the checking acct (by opening an e-Savings account at the same time).

So, I'm only out the $25 annual fee, but the wait is annoying...
Old Oct 27, 2007, 4:26 am

deleted

Last edited by shoodawg; Jul 18, 2009 at 7:29 pm
Old Oct 27, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yes, but I'm not interested in switching over my direct deposit. I have a long-standing relationship with another bank. I just got this Citibank account long enough to get the 10k miles, then I'm out. I figured that I could feed it for a little while until the miles posted. The problem is it's getting to be longer and longer, and I hate just handing over money for no reason.
Citi makes it really easy to avoid the monthly fees on the EZ Checking package. Option 1 is direct deposit. The nice thing is that they count ACH pushes from other banks (e.g., ING, Emigrant Direct) as direct deposits. Option 2 is bill pay. Do 2 billpays per month, and no monthly fee. The billpays can be $1 payments (including, if you really want, checks sent in the mail to yourself, made out to yourself). Option 3 is a $1500 balance which you can keep in a savings account earning 4.5-5%. Quite competitive in the current rate environment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.