Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Enroll in the Citibank® / AAdvantage® Debit card — and get 10,000 AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enroll in the Citibank® / AAdvantage® Debit card — and get 10,000 AA miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2007, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
When you write, "add money from my cc to my account," what exactly are you doing? Are you using the option Transfer->To Your Linked Accounts->Make a One-Time Transfer ? This is supposed to appear as a cash advance if the source is a credit card (which means you pay fees, plus earn no miles). So I figure you must be doing something else.

Also, however you're doing it, have you actually seen miles post from this? thanks.
I thought the same thing as I read this. First, it sounds like a cash advance, which means fees & also it means no miles if it is a cash advance.

Please let us know how you're doing this, if there are any fees and if you are getting miles.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Can I ask if anybody has had the 10,000 miles actually post yet?

I signed up for the debit card, bought something, and had a grand total of 9 miles post last month:

09/17/07 CBA DEBIT CARD PURCHASES 9 0 9

How long does it usually take for the 10,000 miles to post after the first posting of actual earned miles? How much longer should I wait before calling to inquire?

And, do I call the number on the back of the card? Or AAdv Cust Svc?
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
I just called Citi (signed up 7/16) and they were useless as expected. The guy said I had a week longer to go before I should call. I told them I would be out of town then, and he told me I should have signed up a week earlier.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Delta SkyMiles
When you write, "add money from my cc to my account," what exactly are you doing? Are you using the option Transfer->To Your Linked Accounts->Make a One-Time Transfer ? This is supposed to appear as a cash advance if the source is a credit card (which means you pay fees, plus earn no miles). So I figure you must be doing something else.

Also, however you're doing it, have you actually seen miles post from this? thanks.
My credit card is linked to my account. They are both citibank so I can do that. I'm supposed to get ff miles for it. I got them last time when I signed up. I just set up a transfer for the other day. No it will not incur fees, it didn't last time either. It's just added onto my bank account
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36

I signed up for the debit card, bought something, and had a grand total of 9 miles post last month:

How long does it usually take for the 10,000 miles to post after the first posting of actual earned miles? How much longer should I wait before calling to inquire?

From the original ad: "1 You can earn 10,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles by enrollment of a Citibank® / AAdvantage® Debit card during this promotional period. Limit one offer per account. AAdvantage® miles will appear as a bonus in your AAdvantage® program account within 2-3 checking account billing cycles after your enrollment in the Citibank® / AAdvantage® Debit card program is confirmed by American Airlines."

This month's statement will be 3 billing cycles for me so if I do not see miles, I will call as well. I printed out the original ad and the number on it, "If you still have questions", is 800 374 9700.

Last edited by RxCapt; Oct 8, 2007 at 9:48 pm Reason: Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36

I suspect we can drop dead waiting to get the miles.
I just sent another email complaining. I think it's a joke.
Btw, does anyone have a copy of this info from Feb? I signed up Feb 26, 07 If so can they pm me the code number or whatever it's called? Thanks
Old Oct 8, 2007, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA
Mine haven't posted either. I've had to send repeated nastygrams to get them to give bonuses and offers in the past, looks like it will have to happen again.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by veganmacrochick
My credit card is linked to my account. They are both citibank so I can do that. I'm supposed to get ff miles for it. I got them last time when I signed up. I just set up a transfer for the other day. No it will not incur fees, it didn't last time either. It's just added onto my bank account
I have a linked Citi Aadvantage Mastercard. I figure that's your set-up also. Citi said transferring online would be a cash advance (no miles). If I attempt it, the website shows me the available cash advance amount, which enforces what they told me.

If you're saying this worked, I may try a small test case.

Finally, I'm curious if it appeared as "Standard Purch" on your statement where you actually got miles. This is amazing. Thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:10 am

Even if you get the miles from promo, this account is too expensive to keep up---especially when many other places give you free checking accounts/debit card.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by best
Even if you get the miles from promo, this account is too expensive to keep up---especially when many other places give you free checking accounts/debit card.
Then switch it to a ThankYou Debit Card, no annual fee.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 12:22 pm

I have a linked Citi Aadvantage Mastercard. I figure that's your set-up also. Citi said transferring online would be a cash advance (no miles). If I attempt it, the website shows me the available cash advance amount, which enforces what they told me.

Finally, I'm curious if it appeared as "Standard Purch" on your statement where you actually got miles. This is amazing. Thanks.
I was told that it wouldn't show as a cash advance. But it wouldn't surprise me if they lied to me once again. I can't remember what date I picked to have the transfer occur. I hope it doesn't charge me anything. That would suck. If you do it before mine goes thru please do tell me what happens. I will do the same.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by best
I only signed up for the 10K miles. I hate debit cards and plan to cancel before 12 months is up and switch back to the ATM card. $25 for 10K miles is a pretty good deal.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by ddutch
Mine haven't posted either. I've had to send repeated nastygrams to get them to give bonuses and offers in the past, looks like it will have to happen again.
LOL I have been flipping out on several csr's and sending emails and all sorts of stuff and today I find:
1-I did get the first 10,000 miles
2-I found the original email stating when I'll get what miles

LOLOLOL
So, if anyone needs the promo code or the email or anything from Feb let me know.
Peace,
VMC
Old Oct 12, 2007, 12:08 am

Today I win the stupid award!

Ok, my stupidity runs deep. I actually trusted that lady and now have a 'cash advance' on my credit card for $350. do NOT do what I did!!! As soon as I saw it I came here to let you know. Now........ what do I do? I hate to think of the charges I'll get. Perhaps I should start by ringing Citibank and complaining? Sheesh! Party never stops here.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 2:54 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by veganmacrochick
Ok, my stupidity runs deep. I actually trusted that lady and now have a 'cash advance' on my credit card for $350. do NOT do what I did!!! As soon as I saw it I came here to let you know. Now........ what do I do? I hate to think of the charges I'll get. Perhaps I should start by ringing Citibank and complaining? Sheesh! Party never stops here.
IIRC, the one and only time the credit card charges would be treated as standard purchases (i.e. without any fee) is when used to fund the 1st opening deposit for the new accounts.

Since your CC has been hit with this cash advance, I would advice you to call the Citi Creditcard directly and see what they can do for you. Let them know you got bad advices from incompetent bank CSRs. The Creditcard people "might" feel sympathetic and reverse the fees. I doubt it though. I don't think you can dispute the transaction at all, giving you did authorize and used it to cover the balance for Checking billpay.

Not sure if you use the linked CC regularly. If so, stop using it NOW and be prepared for the finance charges soon to kick in when your current statement closes. Pay off everything immediately on the very next day. Overpay the balance will be even better so the interests on the finance charge & cash advance will be covered and not accumulate more fees. It will take two billing cycles to clear up the "fee mess" so write another mental note to yourself to examine the bill when the next statement closes.

If I were you, I wouldn't use that linked CC until everything is clear up. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.