Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some notes on Flying AS / Alaska as an AA Elite (archival)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
K I'll answer this to save some time, that front page of the consolidated thread may need some editing possibly.

AA code, AS operated flight - elite seating available by calling up the EXP Line (any coach fare)
AS code, AS operated flight - regular seating only, until OLCI (any other coach fare)
AS code, AS operated flight - elite seating available through alaskaair.com(Full Y only)

By the sounds of blout1, he may need to wait til OLCI to get better seats, AS does allow OLCI on int'l flights unlike AA so go do it at T-24
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
By the sounds of blout1, he may need to wait til OLCI to get better seats, AS does allow OLCI on int'l flights unlike AA so go do it at T-24
At T-24, AS releases all their non exit row "priority seats", essentially rows 6-13 or so (depending on the metal)... so OP should be able to find better options at that point.
Try for an exit row aisle at the airport. On AS it's better than their First.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:15 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by blout1
Recently booked an AS flight between LAX-YVR.

Seat options presented were horrible (middle seats, rear of plane), since AS website unaware of my EXP status. Lots of seats available in the "preferred" section of economy (row 6, etc), according to ExpertFlyer.

As an EXP, I know I'm entitled to row 6....but how can I get those assigned if tickets were not on AA codeshare?

Can EXP desk assist with AS seating, even though my itinerary has nothing to do with AA?

This thread has now been merged into the key thread on this topic. Please be sure to check out the wiki page for a summary. If you haven't already seen it, also be sure to check out the FAQ at the top of the forum. Enjoy!

/Moderator
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by blout1
Recently booked an AS flight between LAX-YVR.

Seat options presented were horrible (middle seats, rear of plane), since AS website unaware of my EXP status. Lots of seats available in the "preferred" section of economy (row 6, etc), according to ExpertFlyer.

As an EXP, I know I'm entitled to row 6....but how can I get those assigned if tickets were not on AA codeshare?

Can EXP desk assist with AS seating, even though my itinerary has nothing to do with AA?
The overall problem is AS & AA don't have elite reciprocity... except for eqm's... so there is no entitlement. Same is the case for AA, AS elites cannot access AA's premium seating either...
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
With respect to LAX-YVR:

Like Blout, I need to book this flight. I know it is operated as an AA codeshare on AS metal, however based on AA's website, booking the codeshare will cost me nearly double the cost of AS's direct website price.

Any way to book the AA codeshare at the AS price?

And perhaps more curiously...why the price differential for the exact same flight?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:57 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by trojanman
With respect to LAX-YVR:

Like Blout, I need to book this flight. I know it is operated as an AA codeshare on AS metal, however based on AA's website, booking the codeshare will cost me nearly double the cost of AS's direct website price.

Probably not, without waiting for it to come down. We just booked a trip from SJC-MFR/Medford. It's all on Alaska/Horizon. Outbound is AA codeshare. On the return, it was $175 for AS and $219 for AA codeshare on the same flights. Inasmuch as we get full EQMs, I saw no reason to spend the extra $44 for the codeshare as the advantages are minimal.

Cheers.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
With respect to LAX-YVR:

And perhaps more curiously...why the price differential for the exact same flight?
Trojanman, for LAX-YVR route, in order for the AA codeshare price to look reasonable, one has to pull it up on a round-trip basis or otherwise all you get is full Y fare on that route generally
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Trojanman, for LAX-YVR route, in order for the AA codeshare price to look reasonable, one has to pull it up on a round-trip basis or otherwise all you get is full Y fare on that route generally
I am looking at return flights.

AA codeshare: R/T = $557 a.i.
AS Direct: R/T = $333 a.i.

From what I can see, AS website sells a "hot deals" fare bucket, whereas AA only has access to the "bargain" fair bucket.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:37 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I am looking at return flights.

AA codeshare: R/T = $557 a.i.
AS Direct: R/T = $333 a.i.

From what I can see, AS website sells a "hot deals" fare bucket, whereas AA only has access to the "bargain" fair bucket.
It's not even just the AS versus AA websites. In my case both of the fares were on the AA.com site, with "All Carriers" selected, although the difference I saw was not as dramatic as yours (25% versus 67%).

Cheers.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
There are also instances where the AS fare will be beat by the AA one- SEA-LAS (with a connection at LAX), and SEA-LAX (with or without the connection at SFO/SJC) come to mind. (What I've been told happens is sometimes AS sells out of a fare bucket it guaranteed some seats to AA to, but AA still has a couple in that bucket. AA also sometimes doesn't add Friday/Sunday surcharges that AS does.)

I've been known to buy SEA-LAX as the AA codeshare- I sacrifice AS elite upgrades until I get to the gate, but it's usually an easy upgrade to nab at the gate, plus AS Y bulkhead/exit row for 2.5 hours isn't horrible.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
... plus AS Y bulkhead/exit row for 2.5 hours isn't horrible.
And a lot more legroom than AS First.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
... and AA SlAAveship F (757).

(Though actually, some 734s aren't all that comfy in Y bulkhead/exit.)
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I've been known to buy SEA-LAX as the AA codeshare- I sacrifice AS elite upgrades until I get to the gate, but it's usually an easy upgrade to nab at the gate, plus AS Y bulkhead/exit row for 2.5 hours isn't horrible.

My understanding is that, unlike AA, only certain fare buckets are upgradable with AS. DL has this rule, and enforces it rigorously (at least for non-status flyers). Does anyone know if AS enforces it? Put in other words, if I buy a "hot deal" fare and there are still empty F seats at the gate, will the GA sell one to me for the $50/$100 upgrade fare?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
My understanding is that, unlike AA, only certain fare buckets are upgradable with AS. DL has this rule, and enforces it rigorously (at least for non-status flyers). Does anyone know if AS enforces it? Put in other words, if I buy a "hot deal" fare and there are still empty F seats at the gate, will the GA sell one to me for the $50/$100 upgrade fare?
For elites, AS allows MVPs to upgrade at booking on certain fare buckets (see their web site), then they open up all fare buckets to elites 48-72 hours before departure. Within elite groups, I believe the upgrade waitlist is prioritized by fare bucket, not booking/upgrade request time as on AA. (AA, of course, requires currency to upgrade PLTs and GLDs instead.)

Dunno whether/how this applies to paid upgrades for non-elites.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
For elites, AS allows MVPs to upgrade at booking on certain fare buckets (see their web site), then they open up all fare buckets to elites 48-72 hours before departure. Within elite groups, I believe the upgrade waitlist is prioritized by fare bucket, not booking/upgrade request time as on AA. (AA, of course, requires currency to upgrade PLTs and GLDs instead.)

Dunno whether/how this applies to paid upgrades for non-elites.
But more specifically, if I book into a non-qualifying bucket and there are empty seats in F, will the GA sell me an upgrade? The answer *should* be "no", I understand. However, I wanted to find out how flexible AS GAs are with this rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.