Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some notes on Flying AS / Alaska as an AA Elite (archival)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: AAExPlat HHGold AVLifeMiles
A question. If I fly AS as an AA elite, and on an AA Codeshare, am I charged for bags or do normal AA rules apply?
Also (running the risk of being shouted at) from what I have read here I understand that upgrades are out of the question (miles or stickers) even if on an AA Codeshare. Correct?
Thanks
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by davidthomson
A question. If I fly AS as an AA elite, and on an AA Codeshare, am I charged for bags or do normal AA rules apply?
Also (running the risk of being shouted at) from what I have read here I understand that upgrades are out of the question (miles or stickers) even if on an AA Codeshare. Correct?
Thanks
This is addressed (in part) in #1 "It costs $50 on short flights and $100 on mid-cons ...". IIRC AA EXP, 500-mile upgrades (formerly stickers) and AAdvantage miles won't help here. Someone correct me if I'm wrong ...
Old Jul 15, 2008, 2:14 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by benzguy80
IIRC AA EXP, 500-mile upgrades (formerly stickers) and AAdvantage miles won't help here. Someone correct me if I'm wrong ...
No correction- you're spot on.

Cheers.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:32 pm

Programs: AAExPlat HHGold AVLifeMiles
Thanks
Thanks for the answer re the upgrades, but does anyone know anything about the bags as I have asked above?
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:04 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1.5 Million Miles, SPG Gold, hertz 5 star
I'm planning to fly ktn-sea-ord-lga on AA codeshare. ktn-sea in Y, sea-ord-lga on AA F. Since part of the itinerary is in F and it is connecting to a codeshare partner Would I still be liable for the extra bag fees? The rules on the AS website aren't specific.
At that point I will be an AA Executive Plt if that matters....
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:24 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the answer re the upgrades, but does anyone know anything about the bags as I have asked above?
If no one here seems to know, AS would probably have the answer to this question. AA might as well.

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 1.5 Million Miles, SPG Gold, hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by brp
If no one here seems to know, AS would probably have the answer to this question. AA might as well.

Cheers.
AA suggested that I check with AS. AS at first said no exemption and then agreed that the F portion of the itinerary could exempt me...
They suggested I check at the airport.

If anyone has experience with this pls advise. thnx
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Anyone have feedback on AS flights that aren't a code-share and what benefits still apply? I am stuck in a couple of middle seats for a trip, and was hoping my EXP would at least open up an exit row. When I called AS, they said they don't recognise AA elites.

I am considering calling the EXP desk but don't want to sound dumb. I suspect they won't be able to help on a non-codeshare.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by edlin303
Anyone have feedback on AS flights that aren't a code-share and what benefits still apply? I am stuck in a couple of middle seats for a trip, and was hoping my EXP would at least open up an exit row. When I called AS, they said they don't recognise AA elites.

I am considering calling the EXP desk but don't want to sound dumb. I suspect they won't be able to help on a non-codeshare.
i experienced a middle and window this weekend with AS. aa cant do anything. welcome to AS
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by chanp
i experienced a middle and window this weekend with AS. aa cant do anything. welcome to AS
Thanks. Guess I'll hope I get offered the $100 upgrade when I check in for the return. I'm glad my outbound was full Y. Although a free upgrade to 1st would have been nice for the price.

If there are any AA execs lurking here, hurry up and buy AS please!!!! I finally made EXP and now only have west coast work on the horizon. With no west coast flights from TUS, I'm stuck with AS, WN, and DL.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, NAT Exec Sel
I fly to ANC about twice a year and although that's the only time I fly AS, I would say that the OPs info is still correct. I hate that there aren't any power ports, and I really do not think the coach seats on their 767s are comfortable at all.

But, I was able to board early (last time I was gold and did it).
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:30 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by scraps
I fly to ANC about twice a year and although that's the only time I fly AS, I would say that the OPs info is still correct. I hate that there aren't any power ports, and I really do not think the coach seats on their 767s are comfortable at all.
Well I guess the coach seats on AS 767s are uncomfortable. Since AS doesn't have any 767s in their fleet, they're kind of like sitting in thin air!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:21 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, NAT Exec Sel
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
Well I guess the coach seats on AS 767s are uncomfortable. Since AS doesn't have any 767s in their fleet, they're kind of like sitting in thin air!
Ugh. I meant 737s.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl...duty_calls.png
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:00 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Not sure if it's a change in policy, but I've had no luck getting a seat assignment from DFW-SEA on Alaska this Friday. I've tried the EXP desk, tried calling Alaska, as well as Alasksair.com. Probably not an issue, since EXP desk says she can see over 20 seats blocked for airport assignment. So, I *should* get a decent seat, but not sure.

Since I fly from IAD earlier in the day, which doesn't have Alaska service, I don't have anything else but OLCI 24 hours out to try.

Edited to add: A third phone call to EXP desk got someone who knew a method to force a seat selection. AS wouldn't release the exit row to her, but did release a bulkhead aisle. I arrived 90 minutes early, but all paid upgrades were already taken.

Last edited by Pizzaman; Sep 23, 2008 at 5:03 pm
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by Pizzaman
Not sure if it's a change in policy, but I've had no luck getting a seat assignment from DFW-SEA on Alaska this Friday. I've tried the EXP desk, tried calling Alaska, as well as Alasksair.com. Probably not an issue, since EXP desk says she can see over 20 seats blocked for airport assignment. So, I *should* get a decent seat, but not sure.

Since I fly from IAD earlier in the day, which doesn't have Alaska service, I don't have anything else but OLCI 24 hours out to try.
As an Alaska MVP Gold as well as Explat, I'll offer it's really no surprise NOT to get seat assignments in advance (even for Alaska's top tier) nowadays.

Definitely do OLCI as quickly as possible 24 hours out - I've found myself stuck quite a few times in middle seats even as MVP Gold when I just "show up" at the airport.

Good Luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.