Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coach pax may now use First lavs - or not!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Dallas ABC affiliate is WFAA - if it was on WFAA, they have not posted the video clip or information on their web site.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
The report is accurate. I was on 888 from SNA to DFW on Sunday and they announced it.

I actually thought the traditional way was better. If you assume F is full of YUP; EXP and a few PLT it seems to me that we/they have earned what passes for a luxury on domestic FC. It wasn't strictly enforced which seemed to work out fine most of the time.

I, too, do not think this is terribly newsworthy one way or the other.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
This has never been about security. When two-class domestic 757s are sold as single-class service on routes such as BOS-MAN, anyone can use any lav. (This has been documented via AA internal materials linked to from earlier FT posts and is borne out by my personal experience on that route.) If having someone from Row 25 use the lav behind the cockpit was a security risk, it would still be one if the folks in the front cabin paid economy class fares.

I applaud anything that reduces the number of times people say "security" to justify something that has nothing to do with security. So often it's just a way to shut people up and avoid having to answer legitimate questions.

First: I'm surprised it reached the media so quickly when AA has just made the decision and hasn't informed all of the crewmembers yet. I heard about it from a friend who just attended a meeting at headquarters.

Second: Security is so fun to say and we won't stop using it regardless of silly rule changes.

The TSA directive was always for international flights. AA just made it all flights for consistency. All the people on the plane may have access to the forward lav on a one class MAN flight but they all can't stand up there and wait for it at the same time. The whole idea about not using the front because of security was so that people can't congregate and block everyone's (crewmembers and passengers) visual access to the cockpit door. Now I don't know about you, but as a passenger I don't want everyone on the plane hanging out right outside the cockpit door. Call me paranoid.

The rule about not crossing cabins will remain in effect on international flights.

FAs and pilots are kind of confused why it was only an international rule in the first place considering that the flights that were used by the terrorists were all domestic flights. Then again it is the TSA we're talking about where few things make sense.

Personally, I don't care for the change, especially on widebody flights.

I can understand allowing people to use the forward lav on a narrowbody flight if the person is handicapped, if the cart is in the aisle, if the line is very long, and if one of the lavs is broken. I see absolutely no need to disturb the atmosphere of the first class or business class cabin if you are on a widebody with multiple coach lavs. No need whatsoever. What would be the point of using your miles or paying more if everyone on the plane is going to tromp through your cabin and disturb you?

What I think will happen is AA will reevaluate when all of their First and Business class passengers start to complain. It should be especially fun when the celebs are riding up front and the coach fans come waltzing up to stare at them or just to all around annoy them.

Just remember, though, that the rule might actually not take effect on all domestic flights. It will depend if your captain decides that he/she doesn't care for it. I think this may actually happen more often than not. If that is the case than you can't do it. The captain has the final word when the door is shut. AA and the pilot's union will probably duke this one out and I can almost guarantee you AA will back down.

We'll see.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:53 pm

I fully support this, for handicapped or disabled only. Right now, the laws are terrible for those people. I often travel with my 86 year old grandmother in tow, who is not exactly agile. Yet, the FA's force her to walk to the back of the plane to use the toilet (a very long, strenous, and potentially dangerous walk when turbulence occurs). These rules must be relaxed to accomodate those in need (but should remain in place for those non-disabled folk who are just too lazy to walk to the back).
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ScreenGuy
I would not have a problem with this rule change if it was ONLY on a flight that does not have a front coach lav... such as an MD, and only for the first several rows of coach pax or during bev service if the cart is blocking the aisle. If the airplane has a lav at the front of the coach cabin, I don't think this should be allowed.

Just my 2 cents...
I completely agree with you. Particularly for coach passengers towards the front of the MD-80 because it's quite a walk to the rear lavs. But, yea I'd definitely say only for flights w/o a front coach lav.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Nick90274
it's quite a walk to the rear lavs.
Like maybe 70 feet?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Like maybe 70 feet?
I think 70 feet is about right, for an M-80. It's still a tight squeeze through the aisle, though, which makes it seem longer than it is.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:44 am

In the past, we have always been told that exceptions are allowed. It is very difficult to ascertain who does or does not have a health issue allowing them to utilize the f/c lav. I am thrilled that I will now be able to dispose of my honorary medical degree.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 5:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
The Rule...

I also thought the rule was a crazy rule, but then I learned why it was originally enacted. Evidently, a bunch of "persons of interest" did a "trial run" where they monopolized a bathroom to make an exchange of something. They also congregated in aisles discussing "something".

I remember reading an article about it six months ago from a journalist who was on the flight. He/she seemed very freaked out, as were the other passengers on the plane. They all though it was a trial run for a hijacking. To the best of my recollection, everyone involved in the trial run was taken into custody but nothing was found. Other flyers are also believed to be on flights involving trial runs.

The article suggested that the rule was enacted to help prevent further such behavior, as airlines couldn't discriminate against which passengers it was going to prevent from using a certain bathroom in another cabin (especially one close to the cockpit).

Zakk
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
What a silly change. Why make the point of announcing it? Why not jsut be silent on the lav issue altogether on domestic flights.

Why would AA do something to devalue the F cabin -- especially something that brings with it no cost savings.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by PresRDC
What a silly change. Why make the point of announcing it? Why not jsut be silent on the lav issue altogether on domestic flights.

Why would AA do something to devalue the F cabin -- especially something that brings with it no cost savings.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Agree 100%.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PresRDC

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
^
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Now it's on the front page of our local newspaper.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/16799722.htm

Seems to be true.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
First, they went overboard with the lav announcements and relating them to security. Now they've gone overboard the other way.

The F aisles are going to be clogged with Y pax lining up. Fun, fun, fun.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:47 am

Programs: AA PLT MM
Man, all I can say is that it must be a really slow news day in Dallas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.