Coach pax may now use First lavs - or not!

Old Feb 27, 07, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Coach pax may now use First lavs - or not!

Just saw a piece on the local ABC news that AA is going to begin letting coach pax use F lavs.....let the debate begin.

I went back 3 pages and didnt see anything on this, apologies if it has already been posted.
Old Feb 27, 07, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP, CO PLT, HH Diamond, MR Silver, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Why in the world would that be on ABC news?
Old Feb 27, 07, 10:34 pm

The local news in Dallas covers pretty much anything related to AA since it is the hometown airline and a major employer there. I couldn't find anything on WFAA, DMN, or Texas Cable News about it though. Maybe tomorrow.
Old Feb 27, 07, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
My thoughts

I would not have a problem with this rule change if it was ONLY on a flight that does not have a front coach lav... such as an MD, and only for the first several rows of coach pax or during bev service if the cart is blocking the aisle. If the airplane has a lav at the front of the coach cabin, I don't think this should be allowed.

Just my 2 cents...
Old Feb 27, 07, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.87MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.02MM)
This has never been about security. When two-class domestic 757s are sold as single-class service on routes such as BOS-MAN, anyone can use any lav. (This has been documented via AA internal materials linked to from earlier FT posts and is borne out by my personal experience on that route.) If having someone from Row 25 use the lav behind the cockpit was a security risk, it would still be one if the folks in the front cabin paid economy class fares.

I applaud anything that reduces the number of times people say "security" to justify something that has nothing to do with security. So often it's just a way to shut people up and avoid having to answer legitimate questions.
Old Feb 27, 07, 10:55 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps the OP will post a source before we start a death spiral debate on the merits of Y passengers using the F lavs.
Old Feb 27, 07, 11:03 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
with my EXP expiring in a day, more coach travel is in store for me. So this is good news for me and my thimble bladder.
Old Feb 27, 07, 11:04 pm

I think the personal viscousness, which some FAs use in their tone/words, to make the announcement - has caused a grave disservice to AAs customer service image.
Old Feb 27, 07, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNL View Post
Perhaps the OP will post a source before we start a death spiral debate on the merits of Y passengers using the F lavs.
The OP did so. The local news in the OP's hometown.
Old Feb 27, 07, 11:07 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjque View Post
The OP did so. The local news in the OP's hometown.
Link? Name of station? Actual info? None provided.
Old Feb 27, 07, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by ScreenGuy View Post
I would not have a problem with this rule change if it was ONLY on a flight that does not have a front coach lav... such as an MD, and only for the first several rows of coach pax or during bev service if the cart is blocking the aisle. If the airplane has a lav at the front of the coach cabin, I don't think this should be allowed.

Just my 2 cents...
Quite right

And the sensible approach.
Old Feb 27, 07, 11:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
Dallas ABC TV

http://www.wfaa.com/
Old Feb 27, 07, 11:24 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Lets also remember that most every flight there are people that use it anyway. So this is just a case of removing a stupid rule that was not well enforced anyway.

If it pans out that this report is accurate.
Old Feb 27, 07, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Quite right

And the sensible approach.
I was thinking about my comment and although it would make the most sense, it would never work in real life. I can picture the FA announcement:

"The FC lav is only for pax in rows 12 and forward. Pax travelling in rows 13 and back must use the lavs at the back of the plane. All pax are permitted to use the FC lav if the bev cart is blocking access to the rear lavs."

Like I said... it'll never work
Old Feb 27, 07, 11:25 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWA747SNN View Post
Dallas ABC TV

http://www.wfaa.com/
it'd be more helpful with a link to the actual story...if there is one.

Search this Thread