Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW Moving passengers to lower level

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
I got "stuck" for another day in San Diego (I know, how rough), as all of the afternoon flights back to DFW were cancelled. Reservations did a great job reaccomodating quickly, and my hotel was kind enough to take some extra money from me and keep me for another night.

Now I'm just wondering if maybe I'll end up with a shorter commute to and from DFW once I get home -- sounds like the flooding in my neck of the woods may have picked up my house and moved it downriver a few miles!
Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA-exp, 4MM, MR-plat, Hertz-PC, WN-CP
A friend called me from SNA-DFW while sitting at SAT(five hours). They circled DFW before diverting to SAT. Sat at SAT for quite a while, dropping off SAT passengers and later letting out AUS passengers. No food and stinky lavs. They just landed after a really rough ride, FA's seated the whole way. They aren't complaining - glad to be home!
Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
What UGLY weather tonight!

I was lucky enough to not be traveling but I was up in Frisco and had to drive home west on 121 and it was flash flooding around the tollway and up around Castle Hills.

I'm happy to be safe at home - we were getting sideways rain and what sounded like hail for a while. I'll have to go out and check for damage once the car dries off a bit.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:10 pm

Not on AA but my friends were on US CLT-DFW.

They diverted to MSY.

US sent the plane and crew back to CLT and told the passengers they would be bussed to DFW!

My friends got a room and flights on WN tomorrow MSY-DFW as AA was fully booked all day long.

Don't know how they are going to get all the people out of DFW from diverted connections as all of tomorrow's flights are so full.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Complete mess. My flight to BOS was delayed and then eventually cancelled. I'm now at the Motel 8, confirmed sometime tomorrow, but who knows. Cosmic question: why is it that a rat-trap like the Motel 8 has free internet access, but every upscale hotel I've been to (with the notable exception of the Pen in HK) charges for this? Can anybody explain that to me?
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by Governator
Definitely some interesting diverts. For example:
AA 9743 MHK (Manhattan KS) - DFW
was diverted to STL. They are now farther away from DFW than when they started! But I'm sure anyone with a connection past DFW is happy since they can reconnect in STL.
I saw this one, too. It caught my eye since AA doesn't serve MHK. I'm guessing though that this was a charter flight, possibly having to do with Kansas State University. The only time I've ever flown on an AA 9xxx flight # was a few years ago during an irregular op when my TUL-DFW (MD80) flight was canceled and they brought in a SAAB to get those of us who were terminating in DFW home. Those poor souls who were connecting in DFW had to spend the night at TUL.

Cheers,
LBBZman

Last edited by lbbzman; Dec 29, 2006 at 11:18 pm Reason: clarification
Old Dec 30, 2006, 1:02 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by dmfriedman
I got "stuck" for another day in San Diego (I know, how rough), as all of the afternoon flights back to DFW were cancelled. Reservations did a great job reaccomodating quickly, and my hotel was kind enough to take some extra money from me and keep me for another night.

Now I'm just wondering if maybe I'll end up with a shorter commute to and from DFW once I get home -- sounds like the flooding in my neck of the woods may have picked up my house and moved it downriver a few miles!
I am also "stuck" in San Diego. I was orginally booked from SNA to DFW this afternoon and the AC called me and said the rest of the flights out of SNA to DFW were cancelled. The agent rebooked me out of SAN on flight 640 since it was not cancelled. I come to SAN and of course that flight gets cancelled. The earliest they could rebook me was on Sunday morning. They continually said there is absolutely nothing on Saturday. This sucks...
Old Dec 30, 2006, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by lbbzman
WFAA is reporting now that passengers are being moved from the upper level in terminal C to the lower level (as of 1705 CST). There have been severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings in the area.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Just curious, but where in the lower level do they evac to? Most of the lower level is not normally accessible to the public, especially airside. Is it the old trAAin stations?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 9:28 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Reminds me of being at MSP once during a Tornado Warning.

Was flying in from LAX on a 757-300 - On our approach once below the cloud layer it was pitch dark to the north, we made a turn to the south and came in for our landing. I saw two planes land after us and then that was it - I consider us very lucky we made it in.

As the aircraft slowed you could hear the tornado sirens outside. No announcement was made on the plane, but we taxi'd to the gate and deplaned as usual.

Once in the terminal they were making announcements for people to take shelter and stay away from the glass windows. It was interesting to observe as most people were just going about their business while others had a look of panic on their face. You could tell who lived in "Tornado Country" and who didn't. Myself, I just went to the lounge to wait the storm out.

They did make announcements in the lounge asking people to stay away from the windows, which went largely ignored.

The place was a complete CF after the storm, but thankfully I made it out. A lot of pax got stuck.

Good luck to those trying to get to / through DFW.

Last edited by SDF_Traveler; Dec 30, 2006 at 9:37 am
Old Dec 30, 2006, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by swag
Just curious, but where in the lower level do they evac to? Most of the lower level is not normally accessible to the public, especially airside. Is it the old trAAin stations?
They just annnounced to step back from the windows and the ppl moved in the back of the hall...

I made my connection DFW-LAX 5,5 hours delayed with departure at 10:40P instead of 5:05P but luckily my flight wasnt cancelled. We could have make it earlier but AA had to give out new boarding passes to standys so we needed another hour...

But they managed to get me my bag ^

Wish you all safe and happy new year (travel) !
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:15 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by chuck1
Not on AA but my friends were on US CLT-DFW.

They diverted to MSY.

US sent the plane and crew back to CLT and told the passengers they would be bussed to DFW!
Are you sure about that? That's a distance of 540 miles!
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
Are you sure about that? That's a distance of 540 miles!
Hey, next to me were 2 guys they got a free Hertz car and DROVE to north carolina !
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Once in the terminal they were making announcements for people to take shelter and stay away from the glass windows. It was interesting to observe as most people were just going about their business while others had a look of panic on their face. You could tell who lived in "Tornado Country" and who didn't. Myself, I just went to the lounge to wait the storm out.

They did make announcements in the lounge asking people to stay away from the windows, which went largely ignored.
LOL... I was in DEN last year during a similar storm and of course most of us wanted to stand at the glass windows in the RCC to look at the black WALL approaching from downtown!!!
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM, *A Plat
I flew LGW-DFW, landed around 15:30 on 12/29. Bumpy landing but not too bad. Clouds all the way up to 30,000 ft. Connection to IAH was delayed then canceled. I looked outside, saw all the cancellations on the screens, and realized I would not be getting home that night. So I called Avis, hopped into a car, and drove the way down to Houston. It took about 7 hours. The weather was easily the worst I have ever experienced directly, though at least it was not too windy. Lightning was striking all around for much of the way (does lightning really not strike cars due to the rubber wheels, I wondered worriedly), and the rain was relentless. I'm lucky I didn't run into one of the 15 tornadoes the storm spawned. But I am happier that I wasn't stuck in Dallas for a night and that I didn't have to fly anywhere near that storm.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
And I thought I had it bad when my evening of fun with the Mrs was rained out in Monterrey, MX and we had to eat at the restaurant next to our hotel, rather than in the Zona Rosa.

My regrets to all of you who got stuck across the country during those two days...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.