Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CoPay for AA Miles Upgrade to Increase 3/1/07

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Deltahater
No not yet... unless you count certain government/industry/consolidator fares.

the poster was pontificating that eliminating certain fare buckets from eVIP usage would be the next step
This is wrong -- there are currently several fare buckets where eVIPs cannot be used. According to page 15 of the EXP guide on AA.com, eVIPs cannot be used on I, O, and international Q fares.

Mike
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
From FAQ:
Q: Why are you requiring a co-pay when I used to be able to use just miles to upgrade to Hawaii?
A: The reality today is that the disparity between Discount and Premium Class fares is too great to be offset by miles alone. The addition of a co-pay allows members to continue to use their miles to upgrade to the next class of service even if they purchase discounted tickets.
Q: Why don't you just exclude certain Deep Discount fares from use with Upgrade Awards, and not charge a co-pay on the rest?
A: We don't want to reduce members' opportunities to upgrade by reducing the types of fares that are eligible. Unlike many of our competitors, we understand that customers want low fares and still want the opportunity to upgrade them. Furthermore, we think it's inherently unfair to expect customers to purchase a higher fare ticket with the hope of upgrading when there's no guarantee that the upgrade will be confirmed. At American Airlines, we won't collect the co-pay until the upgrade is confirmed.
That is complete and utter bull considering I was required to pay for a more expensive ticket in order to upgrade my flight to Hawaii.
And I'm still trying to get over how UA got a partnership with Singapore Airlines when AA has crap.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by aaupgrade
$800 HNL r/t plus 30000 miles and another $300 for guaranteed F -or-

$1330 YUP for guaranteed F -or-

$800 HNL r/t and free sticker upgrades as EXP for probable upgrade to F

Actually the decision is real easy for Plat and Gold elites: YUP

flyboyNYC;6879188
Actually, the decision is really easy... Y-up on Continental (or anyone else with better service). What's the use in earning miles/status on AA when you have to pay the same price for a full-Y ticket anyway.

The 800 is r/t, but isnt the 1330 quoted one way. This is a very misleading arguement. Let's at least make apples-to-apples comparisons. From Chicago it is more like $800 for coach versus $2600 for YUP. Clearly, HNL is a more costly flight than other domestic flights, so it is hard to argue that AA shouldn't either have a higher mileage amount required or a co-pay. The international increase is only $50 each way, I can't imagine this being much of a deterrent to those paying $250 already. I'd say there only mistake was not being more up front about the reasons.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:45 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by trips2win
The 800 is r/t, but isnt the 1330 quoted one way. This is a very misleading arguement. Let's at least make apples-to-apples comparisons. From Chicago it is more like $800 for coach versus $2600 for YUP. Clearly, HNL is a more costly flight than other domestic flights, so it is hard to argue that AA shouldn't either have a higher mileage amount required or a co-pay. The international increase is only $50 each way, I can't imagine this being much of a deterrent to those paying $250 already. I'd say there only mistake was not being more up front about the reasons.
It is not misleading as $1330, or more specifically $1332 is a r/t YUP fare including taxes and fees from BWI. I was rounding from fares I look at the last couple days. I should have been more specific. I live in DC and drive 45 minutes to go BWI-HNL for $1332. You can drive about the same distance and go MKE-HNL for $1555.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
It is not misleading as $1330, or more specifically $1332 is a r/t YUP fare including taxes and fees from BWI. I was rounding from fares I look at the last couple days. I should have been more specific. I live in DC and drive 45 minutes to go BWI-HNL for $1332. You can drive about the same distance and go MKE-HNL for $1555.
And the coach fare is <$400 (not $800) for the same flights. Try again.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by nako
This is wrong -- there are currently several fare buckets where eVIPs cannot be used. According to page 15 of the EXP guide on AA.com, eVIPs cannot be used on I, O, and international Q fares.

Mike
You are both correct. I, O and Q fares upgrade restrictions apply to both mileage and EVIP upgrades so these fare classes are not uniquely EVIP restricted. BTW, you can upgrade O fares in NA using stickers.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
I think this is really an attempt to "stick it" to the business traveler. Leisure travelers are more likely to want free tickets (e.g. 90,000 mile J to Europe) than upgrades. Business travelers will expense their coach ticket (most of us are required to buy the cheapest coach ticket when traveling) but are then stuck with 50,000 miles + $600 to upgrade. With this change, a free round-trip J ticket to Europe is 90,000 miles, whereas an upgraded coach ticket to Europe is equivalent to about 125,000 miles (using a fairly conservative conversion of $600 to miles) PLUS to base coach fare!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by trips2win
And the coach fare is <$400 (not $800) for the same flights. Try again.
Since when? Perhaps o/w, but not r/t. HNL r/t for under $400. Not. While the price has changed form the past couple days and is no longer $800, it is $666. Are you checking BWI-HNL, right? FWIW, YPWV depending on where you live.

So in my case, $1332, 1.5 EQP per mile flown, and 50% COS bonus miles vs. $966 ($666 + $300) + 30,000 miles and either 0.5 or 1.0 EQP per mile flown or take my chances with free sticker upgrades. I would probably do the later. But for the Plat and Gold using stickers from the east coast is prohibitive from a cost standpoint and they probably wouldn't clear anyway. Their choices are reduced to the first 2 options. Pick you poison. Prices will vary depending on your departure airport. As a general rule those departing from AA hubs will encounter the highest prices. One reason I don't fly UA out of IAD as that is their hub and their BC/FC pirces are always way too high.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Dec 20, 2006 at 1:05 pm
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
You are both correct. I, O and Q fares upgrade restrictions apply to both mileage and EVIP upgrades so these fare classes are not uniquely EVIP restricted. BTW, you can upgrade O fares in NA using stickers.
None of this has anything to do with the post I was responding to. My post was a response to an incorrect answer regarding whether there are fare codes that are precluded from eVIP usage, not the fare classes that are precluded from mileage or stickers.

Mike
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
...deleted, as I was inadvertently giving AA a really devious idea...
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have flown F to Hawaii on UA and AA. I didn't think either were all that great. I thought of them both as just a slight nudge up from regular domestic F. We enjoyed the seats, but got them at the lower mileage levels of the past (including the old P100JJJ award on AA - 50,000 miles per seat). Now, if we go back to Hawaii, we'll either do it on AA with bulkhead seats or UA in Economy Plus. Just not worth the miles or dollars to upgrade.

Regarding buying F seats to Hawaii: I seem to recall a UA FT'er posting that this is a potential "sweet spot" for United's Ameniti program. Specifically, that's one of those "2 for 1" programs where you are required to "buy up" the fare considerably to qualify for the program. On most routes, it doesn't make sense as 2 cheap tickets are the better deal. But for Hawaii, with revenue F sometimes available around $2,000, it ends up being a better deal than buying coach tickets and upgrading them with miles. Moreso now with the copay on top.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Those bAAst....!

I haven't missed a sticker upgrade to HNL, but I'm still pretty AAnnoyed.

"Co-pay? NO WAY!"
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
What really bugs me about this is that they haven't even posted anything about this. I if hadn't specifically gone to the mileage upgrade page I would have never seen it!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
For those of us in the UK the extra $50 on the co-pay for outbound flights has to be added to the recent rise in premium departure tax. So what was $290 is now $380 - an increase of around 30%.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:40 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Given the current quality/quantity of food/beverage service to HNL - I must say - they have a lot of nerve.

What a complete ripoff re: copay to HNL...

Shame, shame, shame on AA....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.