Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CoPay for AA Miles Upgrade to Increase 3/1/07

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:26 am

[With that said, wouldn't it make more sense for these airlines to really cater to first/business class customers that pay these outrageous prices? Like I said I understand the FEBO and yes there has to be some sort of "order" on planes and the like. I just figured that while someone was purchasing their airfare, what harm would it do to take their specific entree order.]

Have to agree with Bishope2 here. Why would it be so difficult for AA to offer premium class passengers the OPTION of ordering 1 of 3 entrees online ahead of time? The customer satisfaction ratings would go through the roof and would well be worth whatever extra computer cost it would entail to create such a system. A little creative thinking by AA could go a long way. AA has got to figure out that it can't just raise fees arbitrarily without giving something back to their customers. Waiving fees for elite flyers would be one give-back (not likely, I know). More upgrade seats would be another (ditto). Meal selection would be the easiest.

Last edited by Roadrunner2; Jan 6, 2007 at 10:47 am Reason: clarification
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Bishope2
4). Seats should be the new style when they come out. I had emailed American a while back regarding the new seats. They returned my email saying that the Hawaiian bound 767-300's would keep the present seats. Once again, if I am paying this fee then these flights should have better seats.
is this true? the pdf on aa.com about the new biz class seats shows the HNL routes has being upgraded with new seats.

cheers.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Roadrunner2
Why would it be so difficult for AA to offer premium class passengers the OPTION of ordering 1 of 3 entrees online ahead of time?
perhaps when they check in would be a good time.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:58 pm

Hmm. Difficult one this.

On the one hand, every little increase adds up; there will come a point where the upgrade is simply too expensive.

On the other, if I can pick up a $600 PDX-LHR fare, and then add 25,000 miles and $300 to upgrade the outbound (overnight) legs -- SFO/LAX-JFK-LHR, then I feel I've still got reasonable value. Especially once the new seats come in on the 762s and 777s.

EDIT: I'm not sure what the cutoff would be, but I feel that $300 is pretty close to the tipping point. CO's $450 each way is too much.

Last edited by jamespvg; Jan 6, 2007 at 1:04 pm Reason: More thoughts...
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:52 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Hubby and I are going to Maui in Feb 2008. Due to the 330 day restriction we can’t make our reservation until 3/19 so we would have to pay $600 in co-pays to upgrade both of us for the round trip. Could I make the reservation now and upgrade with miles and then change the date later? I would have to pay the change fees, but that would be cheaper than the co-pay.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Now PLT!
As someone said earlier, the incresaed co-pay will just become a fact of life for those of us that choose to upgrade this way, the additional cost of paid business class from Europe to the US over coach is just too great. Just booked my honeymoon for May, coach ticket is £1200 for the 2 of us, even factoring in the cost of buying 30,000 or so miles for my fiance so we can upgrade both ways and the copay (although we'll only pay the $250 each, each way) the cost of a roundtrip in premium cabin is considerably less than the £11,000 that paying for it would cost. we'll save around £9,000 by doing it this way. True, we run the risk of it not clearing, but exit row is ok and i'd rather sit there than pay 10 times the cost for a restricted business class fare. With Maxjet charging £1000 each for a business class return (even if it doesn't fly on the right days for us or we'd have gone with them instead!) how can AA justify the massive cost of premium cabin travel?

Last edited by infrequentflier; Jan 8, 2007 at 12:59 pm Reason: spelling correction!
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by lennon
Hubby and I are going to Maui in Feb 2008. Due to the 330 day restriction we can’t make our reservation until 3/19 so we would have to pay $600 in co-pays to upgrade both of us for the round trip. Could I make the reservation now and upgrade with miles and then change the date later? I would have to pay the change fees, but that would be cheaper than the co-pay.
Wanted to do this when they first instituted the fee 2 years ago. No dice.

Ticket is only good for one year from date of purchase. Yes, you can change the date but co-pay will apply after that date.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by infrequentflier
With Maxjet charging £1000 each for a business class return [...] how can AA justify the massive cost of premium cabin travel?
Originally Posted by infrequentflier
[Maxjet] doesn't fly on the right days for us or we'd have gone with them instead!
Well, you're on the right lines...
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by brp
And often very much less. I'm travelling from the Bay Area to Lon for $337 several times this winter (taxes are extra, but that money doesn't go to AA, so it's irrelevant). Dirt cheap. Hawai'i? I have some tix on hold SFO-HNL for $234 each, RT. That's what trips2win is talking about, and what I'm talking about.

We can all whine away, but these are ridiculously cheap fares, and the airline has to make money somehow.

Cheers.
Agreed, though given the current state of fares, AA can't realistically expect many to pay the $300 to upgrade to Hawaii, when my family and I paid $379 each RT from JFK-Maui. Not gonna virtually double my fare just to sit in some marginally more comfortable seats, although that could have meant hobnobbing with an affable Kris Kristofferson on the LAX-OGG leg.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:33 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
It states the the upgrade fee is non-refundable--I would assume if aa cancels a flight, that you would get your fare + the upgrade fee back.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by nrr
It states the the upgrade fee is non-refundable--I would assume if aa cancels a flight, that you would get your fare + the upgrade fee back.
It would depend upon how AA handles the "cancellation" - which usually means rebooking. If they can find room on an alternative flight in F/J etc.. then a refund isn't an issue. If they rebook you and can't ug you, then yes, you'd get the $$ and miles back.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by murrayhill
Agreed, though given the current state of fares, AA can't realistically expect many to pay the $300 to upgrade to Hawaii, when my family and I paid $379 each RT from JFK-Maui. Not gonna virtually double my fare just to sit in some marginally more comfortable seats, although that could have meant hobnobbing with an affable Kris Kristofferson on the LAX-OGG leg.
Current state of fares? I wish my trips home were as cheap as $379. It's the same distance!

$300 + 30,000 miles for an upgrade to 10,000 miles of flying, including on one of AA's premium (and expensive) transcon routes? Sounds like a bloody bargain to me...
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:10 pm

Programs: Almost all status expired. Hilton Silver. UA 0.8 MM. AA 0.6 MM.
AA meals SFO-HNL in first were lousy (microwave quality). Champagne was available (but Domaine St Michael semi-sweet $10 bottle stuff). Plastic utensils.

The seats were fantastic though. SFO-HNL had old 763 seats. HNL-SFO had new 763 lieflat seats.

This trip was $244+ (277.70 all-in) and I sticker-upgraded for free as an EXP.

SFO-HNL was 4.75 hrs, and HNL-SFO was 4 hrs. I don't think I'd pay a huge copay for such short flights, especially if the food is lame.

Last edited by mitchell; Feb 19, 2007 at 3:16 pm
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Perhaps AA is considering upgrading meal service on DFW-Hawaii and ORD-Hawaii to be more like IFS?

After all, "Invest to Impress" is in full swing.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Perhaps AA is considering upgrading meal service on DFW-Hawaii and ORD-Hawaii to be more like IFS?

After all, "Invest to Impress" is in full swing.
I flew LAX-HNL on 2/16 and HNL-LAX yesterday (2/19). 763 both ways. The F food and service was surprisingly poor. No choice in salad dressing, and no little bottles of Italian oil and balsamic vinegar. Outbound the dressing was some sort of oil/vinegar thing that wasn't too bad, but the return was Caesar (which I avoid because the garlic makes me thirsty and have bad breath -- so why serve it on a plane?). Luckily, the FA asked me if I wanted it before dumping it on, so I was able to get it plain. Only two choices for the main course, both times chicken breast or mushy garlicy pasta. Dessert was pre-made ice cream "sundae" or a couple pieces of cheese and a few grapes. Not only was the cutlery plastic, but we were only given one knife and one fork. Salt and pepper were in packets. Tea was bagged Lipton only, and in a plastic mug! Old business seats with no individual adjustable reading light. We did get the new duvets (which, along with the pillows, were sealed in plastic for the outbound but simply reused on the return, raising concerns about catching colds from previous pax). On the outbound, pre-departure, the FA came by with orange juice and champagne. When I asked for water, she pointed to a bottle in the seat-back and told me to drink that. That did meet the most basic goal, but I miss the little touches like having water in an actual glass. I was not offered any additional bread after the initial piece.

I realize these are petty gripes, and I was always very nice to the FAs. But small things can mean a lot to the overall experience.

Last edited by anabolism; Feb 20, 2007 at 6:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.