Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any AA flights for less than $60.00 R/T?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by acf573
You've obviously never flown RyanAir on one of their 1GBP fare specials!
What is that? GBP => Giga-Bonus Points ?! ;-)
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by steve32
What is that? GBP => Giga-Bonus Points ?! ;-)
GBP = Great Britain Pound
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
While it is pretty difficult to get any ticket under $60 all-in, it's pretty easy to get a 4-segment ticket for under $120 all-in. Go to a non-hub, and fly to a nearby non-hub where a competitor has nonstop service.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Originally Posted by acf573
You've obviously never flown RyanAir on one of their 1GBP fare specials!
I have paid a penny for flights on ValueJet and Ryan Air both. Taxes were a horse of a different color.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I'll be kind this time, because you pique my curiosity. Why is $60 the magical number?

I would attempt to familiarize myself with the various tools display fare sales (including Dream Maps), and post your research findings before asking the rest of the AA board this question.

And my answer is, no, not that I know of right now, if ever. $60 all in would be about $50+, and I've never seen that (except on mistake fares).
I picked $60 so that I would not exclude a $45.00 fare + tax somewhere, taxes will run the ticket price up as you get lower in price. But I know that you knew that. I would really love to find the proverbial $19.00 fare on AA. I am not holding my breath.
You know, you must just have it in for me. I can not possibly be smart enough for you. I have never heard of Dream Maps, I will now spend a bunch of time trying to find it. Now I too will some day hopefully, be knowledgeable enough that my questions will not be so stupid. But I am trying to learn and I have been averaging 4-6 hours an evening or more trying to find answers without asking. (my wife will attest this begrudgingly) FT should be proud of how MUCH information is on here.
I do LOVE FT!
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gemac
While it is pretty difficult to get any ticket under $60 all-in, it's pretty easy to get a 4-segment ticket for under $120 all-in. Go to a non-hub, and fly to a nearby non-hub where a competitor has nonstop service.
Now that is a WONDERFUL idea. Any suggested locations?
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by drbond
Hm mm...wait for another sale round or spend more time looking than I just did because AA really like the figure $103 right now...and with taxes that is a tiny bit over $120. But $103 fares are all over....LAS-DFW-DEN; STL-ORD-DTW; CLE-ORD-NYC; etc they really aren't that hard to find. Wait until Southwest has another sale...AA price matches, and there you are.

BUT...the easiest ultra-cheapie EXP is not from segments (unless you have some sort of segment friendly mistake fare) but ultra low long-haul. Like six $450 all in JFK-MIA-NRT round-trips = $2700 Doable in 12 days of flying.
Of course you can go lower if you can though some mistake fares in...or unforeseen routing.

Alternatively...longer domestic low balls. For example, I got a bunch of SEA-DFW-PHL roundtrips for $132 all in. 18 roundtrips = EXP for $2376 Doable in 18 days of flying. Less fun in my opinion than 6 NRT itins.

Now...generally you would want to diversify....visit a few destinations. But making EXP for under $3000 requires total flexibility and tons of time waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, seeing, and instantly grabbing the right fares when they appear.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by Spiff
Even those lovely $56 fares had over $20 in taxes added on.

Wouldn't work for most; but something to keep in mind is that bump vouchers waive taxes. I just pocketed receipts for 3 $52.10 booked from a bump voucher...charged $0 tax. However, unless your EXP, you would get charged another $10-$15 for ticketing by mail/airport, so would still put you over $60.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:04 am

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
I would really love to find the proverbial $19.00 fare on AA.
I haven't seen $19 fares since about 1990, and they were on SW. Of course that was also back when the fares were quoted all-in, so my total R/T was $38. These $29 fares are the first I've seen in a LONG time, and definitely the first I've seen on AA. Don't know that you'll find cheaper, but you never know of course!

I am not holding my breath.
I wouldn't either.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I picked $60 so that I would not exclude a $45.00 fare + tax somewhere, taxes will run the ticket price up as you get lower in price. But I know that you knew that. I would really love to find the proverbial $19.00 fare on AA. I am not holding my breath.
You know, you must just have it in for me. I can not possibly be smart enough for you. I have never heard of Dream Maps, I will now spend a bunch of time trying to find it. Now I too will some day hopefully, be knowledgeable enough that my questions will not be so stupid. But I am trying to learn and I have been averaging 4-6 hours an evening or more trying to find answers without asking. (my wife will attest this begrudgingly) FT should be proud of how MUCH information is on here.
I do LOVE FT!
Back up a minute. What is your objective? Are you looking to do a massive segment run? Seriously...no need to get pissed...just let us know the goal and people here can help. If it's a segment run you have in mind, you can definitely get down under $30 per elite-qualifying segment.

There are lots of $56 base fares that turn into $70-something all-in. I'm guessing there is a way to run at least one of those as a 4-segment trip, although I can't think of exactly which one off the top of my head. Maybe MCI-ORD-DFW-ORD-MCI or something like that. Or just crank through a bunch of MCI-DAL segments and until you've maxxed the 30k bonuses. Depends on whether you're after quick, easy miles or maximum segments for a given fare.

Tell us what you're up to...
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I live in St. Louis. I often find fares to Detroit and Omaha for under $100 all-in (not right now, but I would say about 25% of the times I check). Neither one is a non-stop, both connect through ORD. Sometimes, they will even let you connect through both DFW and ORD.

I use dreammaps to check. Something like this should be available near you. For example, AA just pulled $83 fares RSW-MCO (now it's $113). This is a connection through MIA. RSW is a nice one in that it is so close to MIA that people would just drive if they price flights a lot higher, but you gotta fly through MIA to get almost anywhere on AA.

Try setting dreammaps as your home page on your browser, with your home airport as the default rather than DFW, and $100 as the maxfare. You would be surprised what will pop up.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:27 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Does anyone know of any flight anywhere on the AA system that is less than $60.00 round trip all in?
What about this recent promo?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531479
Old Mar 3, 2006, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lin821
Nope. Over $70 all-in.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ppisklak
What is the way that you reccomend? Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I would like to know the alternative to <$60 short-hops.
I was wrong.. I was thinking bonus miles.
At $60 for 1000 miles (shortest roundtrip), it would take you $6000 to get EXP.

Long hops.
If you can fly 5000 RT miles for $200, that would be better than getting 1000 RT miles for $60. it would take only 20 500 mile roundtrips at a cost of $4000
Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:02 am

Programs: United Airlines Milaege Plus
Originally Posted by tom911
Come to New Zealand. I had a ticket yesterday from Queenstown to Wellington, via Christchurch, and the fare was $NZ67, with $NZ87 in taxes (about $US100 total). I can't recall ever paying more in taxes that for the cost of the revenue ticket itself.

Tom in a food court outide the Reading Cinema in Wellington NZ on wireless

Hi
Try booking flights in the UK....We book a trade ticket from LHR-PVG rtn and the fare was £156 and taxes £159
BMI fare from LHR-CDG are even worst £30 fare + £53 tax + £5 booking=£88 and this is on expedia.co.uk o/b 10/05/06, rtn 14/05/06

Lardie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.