Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

FOR THE CURRENT, 2014, THREAD ON THIS TOPIC, PLEASE SEE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) 2014 on

updated 20 Jan 2014
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2011, 6:07 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Spock Seat
Since when does BKK-HKG-YYZ not allow a HKG stopover on CX?

The agent at the Platinum Desk is trying to charge me 32,500 miles extra for a 1st class seat from BKK-HKG as a stopover saying "rules were changed a long time ago".

Since when? Is she wrong? Anyone?

Man where is my EXP card again to talk with the brains at the EXP Desk...

Spock Seat.
See the first post of this thread. A free stopover is now only allowed at the North American gateway. The rule was changed in May 2009.

The AAgent is correct that you are no longer able to stopover in HKG; another one-way award ticket would need to be booked for BKK-HKG.
Old May 7, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by JY1024
See the first post of this thread. A free stopover is now only allowed at the North American gateway. The rule was changed in May 2009. The AAgent is correct that you are no longer able to stopover in HKG; another one-way award ticket would need to be booked for BKK-HKG.
Thanks. Yeah, I did check that and dumped my post/question. I changed my BKK-HKG to 15,000 miles in X. Kept the Z ticket to HKG-YYZ (with The Wing/Pier to boot). All the rest is in U. My case[-by-case basis] cost me 15,000 more miles filed under "flexible".

Glad I wasn't around in May 2009 when that change occurred, I would have went crazy in opposition. :-:

Spock Seat
Old May 8, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
BA Economy availability

I have booked an award BRU-LHR-ORD in J and F and for the date I want, BRU-LHR is not available at a time that would allow a direct onward connection. (nor is it available from any nearby city) Checking on BA for availability tells me the same story the AAgents tell me.
However for economy, BA shows availability but the AAgent says there is none. So far I had had a perfect record of BA and AA availability matching up. But this is the first time I ask for economy. Is there a similar issue with BA economy as there is with QF first, where the agents look for the incorrect bucket availability?
Old May 8, 2011, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Spock Seat
Thanks. Yeah, I did check that and dumped my post/question. I changed my BKK-HKG to 15,000 miles in X. Kept the Z ticket to HKG-YYZ (with The Wing/Pier to boot). All the rest is in U. My case[-by-case basis] cost me 15,000 more miles filed under "flexible".

Glad I wasn't around in May 2009 when that change occurred, I would have went crazy in opposition.
If you want to save a few miles, you can usually buy a oneway BKK-HKG for fairly cheap. Both EK & RJ have tag on services, typically sub $200.
Old May 8, 2011, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I have booked an award BRU-LHR-ORD in J and F and for the date I want, BRU-LHR is not available at a time that would allow a direct onward connection. (nor is it available from any nearby city) Checking on BA for availability tells me the same story the AAgents tell me.
However for economy, BA shows availability but the AAgent says there is none. So far I had had a perfect record of BA and AA availability matching up. But this is the first time I ask for economy. Is there a similar issue with BA economy as there is with QF first, where the agents look for the incorrect bucket availability?
Oddly, this is also the case for me. I just got off the phone with an EXP agent (very cut and dry) and said no availability for CX flights (in business) that I saw on BA partner award site. Just few days ago, everything was matched perfectly, but looks like there is either a temporary system communication problem OR AA is starting to do something similar to *NET blocking!
Old May 8, 2011, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Maybe you could start a new thread entitled: "Rumor: Public evidence of AA adopting policy similar to *NET blocking!"
Old May 8, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by brahms77
Oddly, this is also the case for me. I just got off the phone with an EXP agent (very cut and dry) and said no availability for CX flights (in business) that I saw on BA partner award site. Just few days ago, everything was matched perfectly, but looks like there is either a temporary system communication problem OR AA is starting to do something similar to *NET blocking!
You are forgetting the golden rule. When agent is clueless, or wrong, hang up and call back. Almost certain you just got a dud agent
Old May 9, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Just happened to me too for the last segment of a trip (LGW-MRS). So I did the "hang up and phone back" trick and it worked I got availability.... BUT... the first agent phoned me back about 2 hours later telling me that there was a problem with my reservation due to "cross-booking" whatever that is and that there was again no availability on the LGW-MRS flight..... Aaaargh! Now what?
I should add that BA is still showing availability for that flight....

Also I booked the two segment flight in First (ie First on the longhaul part and Club Europe on the short step). When I use my record locator to look at this reservation it is showing Business and economy respectively. When I speak on the phone though, the agents are talking about First and CE..... It's really confusing.

Last edited by flyphilrun; May 9, 2011 at 11:54 am
Old May 9, 2011, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by flyphilrun
Just happened to me too for the last segment of a trip (LGW-MRS). So I did the "hang up and phone back" trick and it worked I got availability.... BUT... the first agent phoned me back about 2 hours later telling me that there was a problem with my reservation due to "cross-booking" whatever that is and that there was again no availability on the LGW-MRS flight..... Aaaargh! Now what?
I should add that BA is still showing availability for that flight....

Also I booked the two segment flight in First (ie First on the longhaul part and Club Europe on the short step). When I use my record locator to look at this reservation it is showing Business and economy respectively. When I speak on the phone though, the agents are talking about First and CE..... It's really confusing.
I am not sure what happend in the first part of your post, but for the second part, it's just a simple issue of aa.com glitch. I also have F award with CX (mix of business since CX doesn't fly F on that route) and AA.com shows as economy and business (with seat assignments in correct cabin i.e. business and first)but in my e-ticket it says business and first.
Old May 9, 2011, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (0.45MM)
Changes

Just finish booking JFK-LAX(StopOver)-HKG with the AAgents, was told this award would cost 100k miles, then I used the hang up and call back trick and it magically turned into 67.5k miles.

My question is if I change the date of departure on the LAX-HKG leg after I started the trip will I be charged for a change fee?
Old May 9, 2011, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by gogogo888
My question is if I change the date of departure on the LAX-HKG leg after I started the trip will I be charged for a change fee?
Nope, just make sure you keep the same routing, i.e. stay on the CX nonstop.
Old May 9, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (0.45MM)
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Nope, just make sure you keep the same routing, i.e. stay on the CX nonstop.
Thanks, I'm flying out to HKG in F on 7/5, I'm hoping CX will release more F seats on 7/1-7/4 as it approaches the end of June.
Does CX practice this or will I be stuck to 7/5?
Old May 9, 2011, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by gogogo888
Thanks, I'm flying out to HKG in F on 7/5, I'm hoping CX will release more F seats on 7/1-7/4 as it approaches the end of June.
Does CX practice this or will I be stuck to 7/5?
Don't bank on it but yes CX tend to release inventory if available somewhere around 7-4 days from departure date. Also be prepared to re-route if need be. We wanted to do HKG-JFK and managed to re-route to HKG-YYZ-LGA on a more convenient date at short notice without charge.
Old May 9, 2011, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Don't bank on it but yes CX tend to release inventory if available somewhere around 7-4 days from departure date. Also be prepared to re-route if need be. We wanted to do HKG-JFK and managed to re-route to HKG-YYZ-LGA on a more convenient date at short notice without charge.
Which partner did you use for YYZ -> LGA? And how would you have flown HKG -> JFK? Did you mean HKG -> YVR -> JFK?
Old May 9, 2011, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Which partner did you use for YYZ -> LGA? And how would you have flown HKG -> JFK? Did you mean HKG -> YVR -> JFK?
Really? AA from YYZ-LGA. And CX has 4 x Daily JFK-HKG, it is their busiest long haul route

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.