Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

FOR THE CURRENT, 2014, THREAD ON THIS TOPIC, PLEASE SEE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) 2014 on

updated 20 Jan 2014
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 4:54 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by brahms77
A routing question from an AA newbie!

So, in August, I am hoping to redeem AA miles for either C or F award oneway for following:

CMB or SIN to YUL with Stopover in ICN.

Can I route:

1) CMB/SIN-HKG-ICN(stop)-NRT-US gateway-YUL?

or

2) CMB-SIN-NRT-ICN (stop) -HKG-JFK-YUL (if spaces available)

I think the first routing may as well work since I am not back-tracking... however, the second routing shows significant backtracking...so perhaps that's not doable.
Any stopovers except North American Gateway more than 24 hours is now regarded as 2 separate AAwards
Old May 9, 2010, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by brahms77
A routing question from an AA newbie!

So, in August, I am hoping to redeem AA miles for either C or F award oneway for following:

CMB or SIN to YUL with Stopover in ICN.

Can I route:

1) CMB/SIN-HKG-ICN(stop)-NRT-US gateway-YUL?

or

2) CMB-SIN-NRT-ICN (stop) -HKG-JFK-YUL (if spaces available)

I think the first routing may as well work since I am not back-tracking... however, the second routing shows significant backtracking...so perhaps that's not doable.
there's a lot of catching up to do here, rulewise. there is no such thing as "backtracking" any more. the routing restriction is based (usually) on maximum permitted mileage, aka MPM, or sometimes on specific cities.

the mileage "price" is determined by the "from" and "to" regions of travel. CMB, SIN, and HKG are Asia 2, NRT and ICN are Asia 1, YUL is North America.

with a stop at ICN or NRT, it would be two one-way awards--- one from Asia 2 to Asia 1, and one from Asia 1 to North America. a "stop" is anything over 24 hours. one may connect in Asia 1, for trips from Asia 2 to North America (but not stop over).
Old May 11, 2010, 2:31 pm

Hi, All

I am trying to get an award ticket for myself with follow routing.
Will AA allow my routing?

YYZ-LGA(Stopover for 1 week)-ORD-NRT-ICN(Final Destination)-NRT-ORD-YYZ

If not possible, Could you give me some advices?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 11, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by kkohany
Hi, All

I am trying to get an award ticket for myself with follow routing.
Will AA allow my routing?

YYZ-LGA(Stopover for 1 week)-ORD-NRT-ICN(Final Destination)-NRT-ORD-YYZ
Why not just do
YYZ-LGA (stopover 1 week) ... JFK-NRT-ICN (destination)-NRT-ORD-YYZ
?

what you have written would seem to include a stopover in the NA city that is not the gateway... It will need to be an all partner award anyway since AA does not fly to ICN.
Old May 11, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I have recently issued an award with a stop over in NYC with no problem. JFK was the airport used, but I'm not sure if that matters.

The routing looks fine for me. You should give it a shot.
Old May 11, 2010, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by virmaior
Why not just do
YYZ-LGA (stopover 1 week) ... JFK-NRT-ICN (destination)-NRT-ORD-YYZ
?

what you have written would seem to include a stopover in the NA city that is not the gateway... It will need to be an all partner award anyway since AA does not fly to ICN.

well, I know AA's first class service is very nice, however, I want to try out JAL's first class suite and I think choosing ORD is easiest way to get award ticket including it.
Old May 11, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by kkohany
well, I know AA's first class service is very nice, however, I want to try out JAL's first class suite and I think choosing ORD is easiest way to get award ticket including it.
They won't allow a stop at NYC for you itin. ORD would be your stop-over since thats the NA Gateway.
Old May 11, 2010, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by zakami
They won't allow a stop at NYC for you itin. ORD would be your stop-over since thats the NA Gateway.
I'm not sure why you wrote "the" NA gateway. There's a gateway on the way to NRT and a gateway coming back from NRT.

Edited to delete: "He can pick one for a stopover."

Last edited by rrgg; May 12, 2010 at 6:19 am
Old May 12, 2010, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
I'm not sure why you wrote "the" NA gateway. There's a gateway on the way to NRT and a gateway coming back from NRT. He can pick one for a stopover.
No, there are two awards since every all-airline award is one-way now. Each way would be allowed the NA gateway stopover.
That doesn't change even if two awards go into one "round trip" itinerary.
Old May 15, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Hi all!
I would appreciate some input here. I've never booked and AA award. I don't have sufficient miles into one account to book a 32.5k award, but i do have enough in my parent's and my account for the one-way (just 1 award). So i plan doing this:

Jun 21th: CCS-MIA
Jun 21th: MIA-LAS
Jun 28th: LAS-MIA
Jul 14th: MIA-CCS

My original plan was to book it via Multi City so AA grants me an Int Stopover and i don't have to use any extra miles for the MIA-LAS-MIA leg. Upon searching i see i don't have any availability for the Jun21th: MIA-LAS, Jun 28th: LAS-MIA. Well, maybe there is. But a 30k each way... I don't know why the system doesn't let me pick any type economy saaver aaward. (be it 12.5, 30k) . If these legs are supposed to be a free courtesy? Since i am doing an Int Stopover and don't take away miles. AND....

anyhow, i don't have enough miles to book it multi city like in a package. I can only book CCS-MIA MIA-CCS on those dates separate. Meaning paying a 17.5K One Way with one account and the another 17.5k with the other. So i "merge" those one ways and make it a round trip for a person. But, my doubt is with the MIA-LAS-MIA leg that i would like to have it. Any ideas?

I'm sorry if this seems confusing,
Maria
Old May 16, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by martin33
No, there are two awards since every all-airline award is one-way now. Each way would be allowed the NA gateway stopover.
That doesn't change even if two awards go into one "round trip" itinerary.
I would like to book this iten:
SFO-HKG(stop)-PVG(stop)-SFO.
I am thinking of using CX SFO-HKG-PVG and JAL for PVG-(NRT/KIX)-SFO.
Would it be better if I treat PVG as destination and can add a stop over in NRT or KIX:

SFO-HKG(stop)-PVG (Dest) - NRT(stop)-SFO

Thanks,
Old May 16, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by geclub1
I would like to book this iten:
SFO-HKG(stop)-PVG(stop)-SFO.
Would it be better if I treat PVG as destination and can add a stop over in NRT or KIX:

Thanks,
Unfortunately AA does not (no longer) allow free stopover outside of the North America gateway cities anymore. Your itinerary SFO - HKG (stop) - PVG (stop) - NRT (stop) - SFO will require 4 one-way ticket for all-partner award.

Have you looked at OneWorld award? You may save some miles there.
Old May 16, 2010, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1

if you need that many stopovers, a oneworld award likely makes more sense.
alternatively you could buy HKG-PVG and PVG-NRT and earn some miles on those shorter segments.

as pointed out, on an all-airline or all-AA award there are no stopovers (anything more than 24 hours) allowed outside North America. period.
Old May 16, 2010, 10:51 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
So can anyone help me, please
with my previous post.
Old May 17, 2010, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by mvtm
Hi all!
I would appreciate some input here. I've never booked and AA award. I don't have sufficient miles into one account to book a 32.5k award, but i do have enough in my parent's and my account for the one-way (just 1 award). So i plan doing this:

Jun 21th: CCS-MIA
Jun 21th: MIA-LAS
Jun 28th: LAS-MIA
Jul 14th: MIA-CCS

My original plan was to book it via Multi City so AA grants me an Int Stopover and i don't have to use any extra miles for the MIA-LAS-MIA leg. Upon searching i see i don't have any availability for the Jun21th: MIA-LAS, Jun 28th: LAS-MIA. Well, maybe there is. But a 30k each way... I don't know why the system doesn't let me pick any type economy saaver aaward. (be it 12.5, 30k) . If these legs are supposed to be a free courtesy? Since i am doing an Int Stopover and don't take away miles. AND....

anyhow, i don't have enough miles to book it multi city like in a package. I can only book CCS-MIA MIA-CCS on those dates separate. Meaning paying a 17.5K One Way with one account and the another 17.5k with the other. So i "merge" those one ways and make it a round trip for a person. But, my doubt is with the MIA-LAS-MIA leg that i would like to have it. Any ideas?

I'm sorry if this seems confusing,
Maria
Why "merge" the awards into one round-trip? It's perfectly fine to ticket as two one-ways (with stopovers at MIA, if T inventory is available LAS-MIA and MIA-LAS).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.