Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TRANSCON on TRANSLANT Award

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2004, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
TRANSCON on TRANSLANT Award

I'm interested in getting an AAward to travel from JFK to Europe.

Would a stopover in LAX be permitted?

Also, I'm interested in possibly trying to go BA transatlantic to sample their premium service. Would JFK-LAX-YVR-LHR be an allowable routing?

Thanks,
FlyerBeek
Old Oct 13, 2004, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I'm pretty certain that will not be allowed. One of the consequences of the new "All Airline Award Chart" that AA introduced last year was a requirement tnat pax take the most direct routing to their destination. As such, backtracking across North America is not allowed.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 8:51 am

Sorry, it won't be allowed. The rule is in place specifically to prevent what you want to do.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 9:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
With an award, yoour routing will have to be pretty direct. Look at the good side - you don't get miles either way.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:55 am

Programs: AA-plat, SPG-gold
If you book a more direct route, AA will normally allow one stopover (outbound or return) outside North America.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
With the directness rule in place, would it even be possible to do a BA transatlantic flight (say from Toronto if I'm originating in NY) without having to claim an OneWorld award?
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:57 am
Original Poster

And is "direct" actually defined anywhere on AA?

Is there any leniency, or will I be forced to fly AA JFK-LHR since that is obviously the most direct routing in any case?

Thanks,
FlyerBeek
Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
You should be able to go JFK-YYZ-LHR-YYZ-JFK if you want to sample BA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.