Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boss is retiring (8MM)...Would AA care?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
It's quite a bit more complicated than that.
If the couple guys he knows are the Chief or a Deputy Chief, then it's less complicated than you think.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
If the couple guys he knows are the Chief or a Deputy Chief, then it's less complicated than you think.
This whole thing is fantasy-land.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
This is the new American

"Boss retiring" = no more revenue flights

AA response = "buh bye & don't linger too long lest the door hit you in the *** as it swings close"
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:10 pm
Suspended

This whole thing is fantasy-land.
It's fine to be cynical. But it can be done, has been done if you know the right people, etc.

Whether OP has the connections he/she needs or his/her boss would be deemed worthy of such, is an entirely different story.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
It's fine to be cynical. But it can be done, has been done if you know the right people, etc.

Whether OP has the connections he/she needs or his/her boss would be deemed worthy of such, is an entirely different story.
Well, if the OP had connections, he/she wouldn't be seeking input on FT.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
To say the least! The whole notion is just so ridiculous.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ashill
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly

Why should AA be bothered about someone who will not be a high-value customer in future? It's not personal, it's business. But he will have his Lifetime PLT membership.

Because they can tweet about it and get some good cheap publicity. And talk to future high value customers about how great they've been for this now-past high value customer.

I'm not saying they will do much, just that that's the OP's best shot.
Exactly. Cheap and easy PR...anything to differentiate.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
To say the least! The whole notion is just so ridiculous.
Here would be 2 degrees of separation ways to explore it.

-- Does anyone in the company know senior execs at the airport authority, AA locally or the fire department that serves the airport (it could be the retiring exec or another senior exec has served on a local charitable board with any of these)?
-- Has the retiring exec or anyone senior in the company who would like to help been part of any local civic, charitable groups or have very, very good friends that are?
-- Is the company an active supporter of any groups where there is a common link?

These links are probably only worthwhile if the firm is a very large customer of AA, the firm or the person asking has made significant contributions over the years to some group or organization that a person in the controlling authority also supports.

I've been on at least three flights that got water salutes -- two were for the retiring captain, the other was somebody who I had no idea who he was, but he was was retiring (so they announced) and was not related to the airline. He was also not military. I asked the pilot who was at the door as I was getting off and he told me it was arranged by the airport authority and approved by the airline. He said no to the person being w the airline, no to being with the military and beyond that they just gave him the person's name to announce.

By the way, said person was not in first class, but there was a line-up of about a half dozen people on the jetbridge who I assume was waiting for him. It also took about 60 seconds and was done just before we pulled into the gate. As I recall it was at MCO.

Winning sports teams from what i've seen get water salutes. I also am aware of a couple other instances as I saw the photos. In these cases it was people related to service providers for airport authorities. Is it done often? Doubtful. Is it ridiculous? No. Is it a long shot? Sure, but if OP really, really wants to have it done, there are avenues to explore which may or may not be fruitful.

Good luck to the OP.^
Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Well I can give one example of an airline doing something special for people reaching a level in the FF program.

My mother flew UA for years most FC (full fare) paid by her business, she was in charge of pensions at a Major Corp. She came down with a terrible brain disease and (with my fathers request) UA provided a very nice plaque after she hit 3MM (actually just short) - this was 12+ years ago. On one of her last flts she was greeted by the pilot and station mgr who thanked her for her loyalty with UA and they presented her with the special plaque. My dad, still has the plaque. My mom has since passed away.

Airlines do special things, if requested. I have no idea if they would do something like this today. It was a very special thing for my mom, and I hope it continues. My mother was loyal to UA and (the former) UA thanked her back. It was a special thing for her.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 4:12 am

Here would be 2 degrees of separation ways to explore it.

-- Does anyone in the company know senior execs at the airport authority, AA locally or the fire department that serves the airport (it could be the retiring exec or another senior exec has served on a local charitable board with any of these)?
-- Has the retiring exec or anyone senior in the company who would like to help been part of any local civic, charitable groups or have very, very good friends that are?
-- Is the company an active supporter of any groups where there is a common link?

These links are probably only worthwhile if the firm is a very large customer of AA, the firm or the person asking has made significant contributions over the years to some group or organization that a person in the controlling authority also supports.

I've been on at least three flights that got water salutes -- two were for the retiring captain, the other was somebody who I had no idea who he was, but he was was retiring (so they announced) and was not related to the airline. He was also not military. I asked the pilot who was at the door as I was getting off and he told me it was arranged by the airport authority and approved by the airline. He said no to the person being w the airline, no to being with the military and beyond that they just gave him the person's name to announce.

By the way, said person was not in first class, but there was a line-up of about a half dozen people on the jetbridge who I assume was waiting for him. It also took about 60 seconds and was done just before we pulled into the gate. As I recall it was at MCO.

Winning sports teams from what i've seen get water salutes. I also am aware of a couple other instances as I saw the photos. In these cases it was people real related to service providers for airport authorities. Is it done often? Doubtful. Is it ridiculous? No. Is it a long shot? Sure, but if OP really, really wants to have it done, there are avenues to explore which may or may not be fruitful.

Good luck to the OP.^
Honor Flights also get water salutes. Accompanied my father on one and all the vets got a real kick out of it. It was greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242
Retirees can still be good customers. A token of appreciation might encourage him to stick with AA when he's out of pocket.
Retirees can still influence good customers too.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
On an airline like AS, VX, B6, maybe even WN, it might be possible to have something special done. On a homogenized mega-carrier like AA, DL, UA, forget it. They simply do not and will not care.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashill
Because they can tweet about it and get some good cheap publicity. And talk to future high value customers about how great they've been for this now-past high value customer.

I'm not saying they will do much, just that that's the OP's best shot.
The OP didnt say if the boss was a high value customer or not. I know some very well off people who fly to Asia 2x a month and almost always on non-refundable ElCheapos. Doubt that even 8M in EQMs will get them much attention
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
A water solute is probably out of the question, particularly since that would involve airport infrastructure and the cost (which I doubt AA is going to reimburse). However, and especially if the boss was a high value FF, something like a gift certificate to a spa at the airport or even a voucher towards future travel, quite possibly.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
A water solute
Water is a solvent. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.