Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boss is retiring (8MM)...Would AA care?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
I don't know anything about how this would work at AA, but my guess is the only hope would be the media and/or social media (Twitter?) teams, not a reservations or AAdvantage phone agent. You would almost certainly get a congratulatory tweet if you tweeted @AmericanAir a photo of the retirement party with some AA mention, since corporate social media teams respond to pretty much everyone who says something unsubstantively positive, but that may be a little less substantive than you have in mind.
Wasn't there the story of the guy who tweeted about hitting 2 MM on his next flight and was greeted at the gate with some fanfare?

Has the boss flown his last company flight with AA? If not, you could maybe take a shot at something like that...
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Why should AA be bothered about someone who will not be a high-value customer in future? It's not personal, it's business. But he will have his Lifetime PLT membership.
Because they can tweet about it and get some good cheap publicity. And talk to future high value customers about how great they've been for this now-past high value customer.

I'm not saying they will do much, just that that's the OP's best shot.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by ashill
Because they can tweet about it and get some good cheap publicity. And talk to future high value customers about how great they've been for this now-past high value customer.
+1. Completely agree!

A great way to help retain current and attract new high spenders.

Cheers.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
For this level of milage, send Doug Parker an email and see what happens.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by JDiver
... I've flown on AA since the 1940s, ....
Oh, my, JD. You've been flying AA since long before I was born; and I've been starting to feel old over the past couple of years, myself!!

Originally Posted by cova
You might call AA Advantage desk and see if they would do something - like send a appreciate note or something like that. No harm in asking.
Call the Chairman's office, explain the situation. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could get a personalized letter thanking boss for his loyalty. In fact, I'd be surprised if you didn't. Senior execs often love to do this stuff.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Why should AA be bothered about someone who will not be a high-value customer in future? It's not personal, it's business. But he will have his Lifetime PLT membership.
Reputation, good will, marketing. Lots of companies do lots of things that don'r have hard ROI - sending disaster relief, flying military/family members, etc.

I doubt OP is looking for a valuable item, money, etc. A certificate/small memento/letter of thanks can go a long way at very little cost.

I would agree that social media/customer service would be the channel, but also wouldn't be surprised at the privacy roadblock.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by CPRich
A certificate/small memento/letter of thanks can go a long way at very little cost.
I wouldn't mind having one from Crandall. Now there's a guy in this industry I respect.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I was also thinking that a personalized letter might be achievable. But wouldn't the regional sales office be the place to make the request? (especially if the flyer's company has a corporate deal with AA).
Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
That what I was thinking. You are basically telling AA he isn't going to be a good customer any more and want them to award him for this.
At least if he could get to 10 MM he could get that flight seated next to the chief pilot.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mvoight
That what I was thinking. You are basically telling AA he isn't going to be a good customer any more and want them to award him for this.
Retirees can still be good customers. A token of appreciation might encourage him to stick with AA when he's out of pocket.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
His last official trip for the company will be next week: IND to New Zealand and back.
I imagine a washdown at IND is a pretty rare thing?
hmmm
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I wonder if he has luggage tags that say 8mm, I know when I passed 4mm I called and asked for new ones (my 3mm had snapped in half). At first they said no but finally relented and sent two to me. It would be easy enough to check, call his wife and have her look.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by airmotive
His last official trip for the company will be next week: IND to New Zealand and back.
I imagine a washdown at IND is a pretty rare thing?
hmmm
You're serious?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
You're serious?
I know a couple of the IND FD guys....
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by airmotive
I know a couple of the IND FD guys....
It's quite a bit more complicated than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.