Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This archive contains older posts from the original Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (consolidated) thread. The current, active thread can be read here.

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Sticker / 500-mile Electronic Upgrades Protocols / Questions (2009-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
For which airline?
US is definitely by check in time
I do not believe AA has changed their policy.
Please correct me if I am wrong
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:40 am
Suspended

It is not based on check-in time on AA, it is date of request within elite tier-- *not* check-in time.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by skitch23
it still goes off of your status for automatic upgrades. but the list for airport controlled upgrades goes off check in time. the earlier you check in at T-24h, the higher up on the list you will be.
For AA, this has not been the case for several years.

AA used to process upgrades w/in 24 hrs based on check in time. Not anymore. You retain your request time - but the list updates continually. Here's an example:

Pax A: PLT requests on 7/1, checks in at T-24
Pax B: EXP requests on 9/1, checks in at T-23
Pax C: EXP requests on 8/1, checks in at T-3

At T-24, Pax A would be first on the list

At T-23, Pax B would be first, Pax A would be second

At T-4, app shows upgrade list: #1, Pax B, #2, Pax A

At T-3, app shows upgrade list: #1, Pax C, #2, Pax B, #3 Pax A

Last edited by bdemaria; Nov 3, 2014 at 7:17 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by pindento
Has check-in time recently become a factor in domestic upgrade list?

I'm on a weekly commuter between DFW and IAH lately, and it's difficult to care too much about upgrade on such a short flight. But, the fact that I'm buying more than a month out and keep landing in the double-digits on the upgrade list has to make me wonder if there's been a change.

The only thing I'm left with presuming is a change to the upgrade list process that includes check-in time since I normally check in morning of.
As AA and US have not yet consolidated operations, the proper forum for this question is the pre-merger forum, where this lengthy thread exists. The wiki has the details regarding your question.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 3, 2014 at 8:00 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pindento
Has check-in time recently become a factor in domestic upgrade list?

I'm on a weekly commuter between DFW and IAH lately, and it's difficult to care too much about upgrade on such a short flight. But, the fact that I'm buying more than a month out and keep landing in the double-digits on the upgrade list has to make me wonder if there's been a change.

The only thing I'm left with presuming is a change to the upgrade list process that includes check-in time since I normally check in morning of.
Through passengers will have priority over originating passengers. Since you are originating from a major hub, it's very possible people connecting at dfw are jumping over you.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
earning stickers

Is there a time limit on accumulating 10K miles for 4 stickers? I flew 19200 miles in July, 2014, earned 4 with a balance of 9200. When do I need to fly 800 miles for the next 4 stickers.? I seem to recall some time limit.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sholmes149
Is there a time limit on accumulating 10K miles for 4 stickers? I flew 19200 miles in July, 2014, earned 4 with a balance of 9200. When do I need to fly 800 miles for the next 4 stickers.? I seem to recall some time limit.
The "miles toward upgrades" count goes back to 0 on March 1st every year. So you need to fly the 800 miles on or before February 28th (edit: or the 29th on a leap year...) to get the 4 stickers.

Last edited by upinsmoke; Nov 4, 2014 at 6:54 am Reason: Edit: Leap year edit
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by ChuckMango
Check in for flight at t-24 and checked for seat upgrade. However was short two stickers and got this message: "Please see our Airport Agent. We were unable to complete all of your 500-mile upgrade requests due to insufficient upgrades for one or more passengers. "
I just got the same message. In these circumstances, AA.com used to prompt you to purchase the stickers as part of the check-in process. Has there been an intentional change to that flow? Or is this a bug?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAExec GGL
500 miler upgrade not allowed

I spoke with a AA rep today to request a 500 mile upgrade but was told that it wouldn't be possible as it was ticketed by US even though I have AA flight no and AA metal. No mention of that anywhere on website... what gives? am I missing something?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, Marriott Silver, Choice Privileges Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by lugano101
I spoke with a AA rep today to request a 500 mile upgrade but was told that it wouldn't be possible as it was ticketed by US even though I have AA flight no and AA metal. No mention of that anywhere on website... what gives? am I missing something?
The rep is correct if it's a US ticketed flight...however, what route/flight number are you on??
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: BAExec GGL
Originally Posted by Nevafazeme
The rep is correct if it's a US ticketed flight...however, what route/flight number are you on??
AA2383 ORD - SNA
AA1076 SNA - ORD

Cheers! :-)
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Nevafazeme
The rep is correct if it's a US ticketed flight...
How do you mean? 500 mile upgrades can be requested irrespective of who issues the ticketsit's the marketing and operating carriers that matter.

--------------------

As we have a thread already in existence discussing 500 mile upgrade protocols, I'll merge this in.

~Moderator
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by lugano101
AA2383 ORD - SNA
AA1076 SNA - ORD

Cheers! :-)
Are you sure you're ticketed on AA2383 and AA1076 and not US2383 and US1076? (Note that there have been reports of AA.com sometimes showing the AA number on the reservation, even when booked as a codeshare.)

As microwave mentioned, Nevafazeme is incorrect, it does not matter who ticketed the flight, you have to look at the marketing carrier, if it's booked as a US codeshare (US flight number), you won't be able to upgrade.

If you're absolutely sure you booked it under the AA flight number, I would try calling again.

Last edited by Djokison; Nov 18, 2014 at 7:51 am
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:55 pm

Upgrades stymied by "pending" 500 mile upgrade stickers

I'm bumping this 7 year old thread because I haven't seen this issue of pending stickers addressed elsewhere, but I could be wrong.

I had 8 stickers in my account. My mileage run reservations were:
PNR1:
12/10
LAX > JFK: u/g requested
JFK > BOS: no u/g requested
BOS > LAX: u/g requested

PNR2
12/11
LAX > BOS: no u/g requested
BOS > LAX: u/g requested

I checked in online and was added to the standby list for LAX > JFK. Then I went to the airport and used the kiosk to reprint my boarding pass. The kiosk said I only had 3 stickers and had to buy more to get on the standby u/g list, so I canceled and went to the AC, where I verified that I had 8 stickers in my account.

I didn't get the LAX > JFK upgrade but I was on the list. By the time I got to BOS the u/g list for BOS > LAX was available on the app, and I wasn't on it. I went to the AC and confirmed that I had dropped off the list, and they said I only had 2 stickers + 6 "pending." The AAgent tried adding me to the list but the system said I needed to buy 4 more stickers.

After a lot of back and forth and head scratching and multiple AC AAgent pow-wows, they seemed to figure it out. Going on the u/g list resulted in stickers being deducted from my account on a pending basis. Since I had multiple reservations close together and not enough stickers to cover them all, the system kicked me off the list. I had no idea this could happen, so maybe this will benefit someone at some point.

Didn't end up mattering--all my flights were packed except the BOS > LAX flight in question, which was empty. 1/2 the plane had an empty row, so I was better off in Y!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
We've moved your post to its own thread, rather than bump up a seven year old thread.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.