Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Piedmont767
Now I would have agreed with you, but YtravelF was in the know and right about PHL-TLV, so I am going to believe him.

As for gauging equipment, I wouldn't be surprised if the 767s go to PHL, only because the PHL 76' base is still open, in a sense; however I think I recall the ratio of business to main cabin seat on the 76' and the RASM (I think that is what it was, but I may be wrong) didn't make it favorable for CLT, but I don't know. The A330s, especially the -300, are perfect for MIA-South America; and the old routes operated by the A300.
Hmmmm, the 767's wont work for CLT, the A330's are perfect for MIA-South America, so where does that leave CLT- Transatlantic?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ccengct
I'm sure it won't -- but for some of us, that flight is our only option for eastbound to LHR in daytime on AA. When AA killed their own daytime eastbound out of JFK, they broke the permissible connections (the BA flights depart JFK too early). Nor can I get to ORD early enough to catch the daytime eastbound from there.
What about the red eye to ORD? Or JFK for that matter? Some of those get in very early
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by vhrum
What about the red eye to ORD? Or JFK for that matter? Some of those get in very early
Somebody looking to avoid overnight transatlantics may not be so keen on domestic red-eyes.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
Same here. Not everyone in New England can get to BOS in time for BA's daytime flight, so the daytime PHL flight is my favorite way of getting to the UK. Will be disappointed if it's dropped.
Originally Posted by vhrum
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Somebody looking to avoid overnight transatlantics may not be so keen on domestic red-eyes.
I guess the affected market is people who (a) do not live in proximity to BOS/JFK/ORD, (b) like to avoid overnight TATLs and (c) are close enough that viable service could have been provided to enable that.

IMO the question is whether this market is one that AA finds profitable. Or whether any of the other players find profitable. My completely uneducated guess is that there is an opportunity cost in providing these connecting options, which may have been smaller in the past (with lower pmUS costs), but given the now merged airline and operating costs, does not make sense any more.

Yeah it sucks for those affected, but I rather believe there are cold hard numbers backing up these decisions. Maybe a shortsighted view in terms of losing existing customers to UA/DL though.

Being on the left coast, these luxuries don't exist for me anyway
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by perseus11
IMO,the morning PHL-LHR flight wasn't started to Test PHL premium traffic or to sit on a slot. It was started to draw capacity from DL's new PHL-LHR flight.
AA's daylight flight does not really compete with DL's flight. If AA really wanted to flood the market to chase DL out, why go for a risky daylight flight.

AA
PHL-LHR: Dep 9:45am
LHR-PHL: Dep 8:20am

DL
PHL-LHR: Dep 6:23pm
LHR-PHL: Dep 10:35am
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nova08
Does this equipment RON at LHR? If that's the case, this flight should get canned.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Does this equipment RON at LHR? If that's the case, this flight should get canned.
Yes, I believe so, since it is the only LUS 752 (maybe even the only AA 752) operating to LHR. Arrives LHR around 10pm and departs 8:20am. As mentioned in a previous reply, we should expect changes to PHL-LHR and the likely cancellation of daylight service is one of them.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
AA's daylight flight does not really compete with DL's flight. If AA really wanted to flood the market to chase DL out, why go for a risky daylight flight.

AA

DL
PHL-LHR: Dep 6:23pm
LHR-PHL: Dep 10:35am
Because it could draw capacity away from DL business flyers who may prefer a daylight flight and send a "No Trespass" message. What other reason do you think AA would sacrifice a LHR slot pair and announce the flight 1 week ahead of the start of DL's PHL-LHR flight??

Last edited by perseus11; Sep 8, 2015 at 5:06 pm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by perseus11
Because it could draw capacity away from DL business flyers who may prefer a daylight flight and send a "No Trespass" message. What other reason do you think AA would sacrifice a LHR slot pair and announce the flight 1 week ahead of the start of DL's PHL-LHR flight??
FWIW, DL announced PHL-LHR on 11/24/14 to start on 4/8/15. AA quickly topped that announcement and announced a daylight PHL-LHR also on 11/24 to begin on 3/29. Coincidence...I think not.

So I agree it was definitely an AA response. I would think a normal LHR slot time would do that just fine. If the suggestion that the daylight flight won't last much longer then it appears that it did not attract many paxs period, let alone DL paxs that prefer a daylight option. Regardless, I am curious how it shakes out.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no inside knowledge about the AA 757 daytime PHL-LHR flight, but it clearly appeared to be a response to DL's startup with the divested PHL slot.

DL failed miserably on MIA-LHR (a huge local market compared to PHL-LHR) and I predict that DL won't stick around at PHL. During the MIA-LHR experiment in 2011, DL sold business class fares for $1,500 return all summer long (and from BOS, too).

This daytime flight was cheap capacity for the peak summer season, and if it ends this fall, that's consistent with my expectations. AA didn't need to add more evening capacity, as the two BA flights and the one US A333 is more than enough evening capacity to blunt DL's evening flight. The daytime flight gave local passengers even more options to avoid Delta.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by charmed
The new CLT-BTV non stop route just started a few weeks ago, and now I can't even get a coach seat on flights in Oct. Apparently its wildly popular, any chance they'd add another flight or change to a bigger plane?
Would be interesting to see some monthly numbers by carrier. US/AA might've taken some share from UA and DL.

I'd expect that things will get lighter when leaf season ends, say, end of October.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
AA DCA to ATL

Just read on another cite that AA will begin flying 5 non-stops from DCA-ATL-DCA effective 1/5/2016. Anyone know which cities will be losing service to make this happen? The new service will be flown on E-175.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by CLTRob
Just read on another cite that AA will begin flying 5 non-stops from DCA-ATL-DCA effective 1/5/2016. Anyone know which cities will be losing service to make this happen? The new service will be flown on E-175.
Some analysis in a thread over on airliners.net indicated reductions in the frequencies to some smaller cities (ROC, PWM spring to mind but don't hold me to it) to free up slots for this, but I don't believe anyone is losing service completely. Some of these reductions may also feed seasonal service increases to Florida for winter demand.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by CLTRob
I'll move this into the extant consolidated thread discussing new routes.

~Moderator
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:10 pm

DFW-PEK

I'm looking at the loads as I have an EVIP coming up for DFW-PEK...it seems this route is very light. I'd almost like to keep my last EVIP and use it for my DFW-HKG flight if it's possible to get a middle seat open next to me. Has anybody been flying this route and how open are the flights? In looking at flights this week, seems planes are only half full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.