Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: DL, UA
Can the big W actually justify a daily nonstop?

Does make sense though. Too bad for me! Just out of curiosity, why would AA send a 737 MIA-TUL weekly? They do it every saturdays for unspecified maintenance. Perhaps some form of maintenance is headed at TUL? Insignificant to travel plans but interesting nonetheless.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by nw6338
Assuming you meant Tulsa when saying 'the big W' - why is Tulsa called the big W?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
AA plans to find out! Don't forget, it isn't just Walmart, but all of the associated sales offices, catering to Walmart, which are located nearby. Also a few other smaller companies nearby (Tyson and JB Hunt), as well as U-Arkansas.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Assuming you meant Tulsa when saying 'the big W' - why is Tulsa called the big W?
No, not Tulsa. Walmart (2.2M employees worldwide) is headquartered close to Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport in Bentonville. Read BOSman's post about industry in the region.

I believe they have contracted arrangements with AA, and I've seen their buyers in AA F out of PVG.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
TUL may be among the bigger markets without non-stop LAX service, and AA is long-established at TUL. Maybe as more 2-class RJs come along this will be justified. Working against it is the fact that WN has a lot more seats out of TUL than AA.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Dec 14, 2014 at 5:03 pm
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:22 am

Thanks for info on direct AA flights to Europe hubs

You have confirmed it will be hard but do able to and from a limited # of hubs in Europe from Chicago. Never thought about Helsinki but that is what travel is for. Wife already vetoed a thought to get to Helsinki, then Lenigrad, then wind down south to Istanbul... Also thanks for advising which airport in Istanbul is nearer to center. We may also look at using AA miles in and then on the return trip from Athens use United miles back to ORD though United seems also to have very limited direct Europe hubs unless you use much higher miles (70,000 v 57,500) on a business partner.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Why no nonstop LAX-TUL?

There is no reason you can't email them for consideration and share your frequency for this route and ask them to forward it to schedule planners.

It might end up being timed liked BDL or TPA but that would be the potential.

Based on the aa.com/morelax website, AA is managing LAX very carefully. So, if there was an issue I am seeing, it is that not enough people change their airline choice fast enough and AA can't keep the new route.

Rasheed
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Until XNA gets its own nonstops to Asia, yes.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Travel LAX-TUL bi monthly and was just wondering if anybody had an idea why AA no longer offers nonstop service LAX-TUL. With once a day service to XNA (even smaller than TUL) and twice daily service to OKC, I figured Tulsa would be in the mix
Remember, AA has sort of a temporary (until they get access to their new gates in TBIT, while they're absorbing US, etc) shortage of gates at LAX. So they might have to pick and choose non-stops from LAX more carefully for a while than in the past (and they may be able to do more in the future once their LAX gate situation and plane type mix situation stabilizes).
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's more complex than demand per se. Have to look at the fares people are willing to pay to fly NS vs. connection and the fact that if there is a TUL-LAX NS, the cuts demand for TUL-DFW and means smaller aircraft/lesser frequency.

With a single connection in the form of a micrhop over to DFW, one can fly TUL to virtually any AA destination in the world, not just LAX.

Lastly, add a LAX-TUL, that means some other frequency somewhere gets cut as there's an aircraft needed. Which one should that be?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Why not PWM-GPI? We can come up with infinite combinations that we would like to see, but, like every single airline, AA has limited capacity, and has to decide how best to deploy its assets within a defined strategy. There may be all sorts of reasons why LAX-TUL may make sense, but it has to make more sense (again, consistent with its overall strategy) than at least one other route that AA flies in order for AA to pursue it.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I have relatives that live in Tulsa, while it is a decent sized city I wouldn't say there is a lot of demand for a NS. What industry is left in Tulsa? Did you know that Tulsa used to be the oil capital of the world. Now not so much. I remember being a kid in 80's flying NS from SAN and LAX. My grandfather was in the oil business and used to fly to LA a lot. If you have ever been to Huntington Beach you would know why.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by gregillinois
You have confirmed it will be hard but do able to and from a limited # of hubs in Europe from Chicago. Never thought about Helsinki but that is what travel is for. Wife already vetoed a thought to get to Helsinki, then Lenigrad, then wind down south to Istanbul... Also thanks for advising which airport in Istanbul is nearer to center. We may also look at using AA miles in and then on the return trip from Athens use United miles back to ORD though United seems also to have very limited direct Europe hubs unless you use much higher miles (70,000 v 57,500) on a business partner.
There's also the AA service to MAN - not a o/w hub but you can get decent cash fares from there to IST on Turkish and ATH on Aegean (both Star Alliance) as well as easyJet.

Why the desire to avoid London, by the way?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
United flew this route for several years. They kept shuffling the times around and it never seemed to meet my needs.

Like other said, with a connection through Dallas only adding a extra 2-3 hours on a typical trip it is still not a long trip.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
There's also the AA service to MAN - not a o/w hub but you can get decent cash fares from there to IST on Turkish and ATH on Aegean (both Star Alliance) as well as easyJet.

Why the desire to avoid London, by the way?
It sounds to me like what he's really trying to avoid are the BA fuel surcharges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.