Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The other issue with CLT is that it must compete with JFK, MIA, PHL, and to some extent ORD and DFW for TATL flights. Of those markets, it is by far the weakest and likely most likely to see reductions. Back when US was independent, CLT was really only in competition with PHL.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by cmd320
The other issue with CLT is that it must compete with JFK, MIA, PHL, and to some extent ORD and DFW for TATL flights. Of those markets, it is by far the weakest and likely most likely to see reductions. Back when US was independent, CLT was really only in competition with PHL.
I know I haven't tried to argue that CLT should be a huge international hub, and I don't think anyone else has seriously tried to.

What I have repeatedly argued is simply this:

• CLT was in the pmUS system, and should continue to be in the new AA system, primarily a convenient domestic-connection hub. pmAA was desperately lacking a viable east-coast domestic hub, now has one, and it would be pure folly to de-hub it.
  • CLT was never pmUS' main TATL hub; PHL was. But I think a couple of the TATLs -- particularly LHR and FRA -- make sense to keep year-round, and some of the vacation destinations make sense to continue to run seasonally, for sake of convenience (to passengers connecting) and for sake of not further overloading the already-overloaded hubs at JFK and MIA.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I don't know, but my assumption has always been that LH serves CLT from MUC to enable the LH-faithful German executive suite-types to visit their operations in the SE USA without having to fly US. If they need to connect at CLT for a one-hour Dash8 or CRJ200 flight - they can put up with that. Maybe new AA can attract them, but given that they probably fly to outposts all over the world on their favorite airline - LH - my guess is that many of them might view AA as a downgrade. The NC and SC plant management and middle-managers might view US/AA as a perfectly fine substitute, especially since they don't live in Germany.
Are the only German companies with operations in the SE U.S. only located near MUC? That would seem odd. And as for the service commitments to the state of NC. Does that include international flying as well? Because if so, it seems they have already violated that by cutting the two CLT-Brazil flights.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Are the only German companies with operations in the SE U.S. only located near MUC? That would seem odd. And as for the service commitments to the state of NC. Does that include international flying as well? Because if so, it seems they have already violated that by cutting the two CLT-Brazil flights.
the German automotive business is mainly in the se and is based in bavaria.i.e BMW and Mercedes benz. Clt-muc is really there to support mainly BMW and Mercedes plants and facilities in South Carolina. Also Benz has facilities in alabama and vw has it's us plants in tennesee but is based in northern Germany.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-ExecPlat, DL-Diamond, Hilton-Diamond, Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by ubernostrum

What's extra amusing is seeing it from flyers of an airline based in the crude little backwater of Fort Worth, which by the metrics often bandied about by FTers ought to just about merit a weekly CRJ2 from a real city, but instead is home to a major global airline hub
That "crude little backwater" is the part of the 4th largest U.S. metro after NYC, LA and Chicago.
That little backwater metro is in the top 5 for corporate headquarters in the U.S.
That little backwater metro is approaching 8 million people.
That little backwater is one of the world's largest global logistics hubs.
And.....that little backwater, HAS MONEY.....lots of it.

In fact, check out the metro statistics for metro areas of American hubs DFW, Miami, Chicago and Philly. All four metros are in the top 10 nationally on population, gross domestic product, etc. Charlotte is really the only hub that is oversized, as the area demographics for the Charlotte metro put it in the low 20's and 30's on most metrics.

Last edited by Memo21; Apr 11, 2015 at 10:13 am
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:22 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Seems like this thread has a lot of side discussions, but in the spirit of the main topic, I would like to ask if anybody sees either of these routes happening anytime soon:

1) a return of NYC - IAH
2) ALB - DFW

Fire away
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cltfc
the German automotive business is mainly in the se and is based in bavaria.i.e BMW and Mercedes benz. Clt-muc is really there to support mainly BMW and Mercedes plants and facilities in South Carolina. Also Benz has facilities in alabama and vw has it's us plants in tennesee but is based in northern Germany.
The last time I checked, Mercedes Benz (Daimler) was not located in Bavaria, but in Stuttgart. Moreover, Stuttgart is closer to FRA than it is to MUC. And while VW's HQ in Wolfsburg may be closest to HAJ (and TXL would be the next closest airport) the city is still connected to FRA with the ICE trains. Just as Stuttgart is connected to FRA with the ICE trains. And just as the Rhein-Ruhr region is connected to FRA with the ICE trains. And BTW, the German automotive industry is not the only sector which has business ties in the southeastern U.S.

Last edited by Fanjet; Apr 11, 2015 at 6:11 pm
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfw
Seems like this thread has a lot of side discussions, but in the spirit of the main topic, I would like to ask if anybody sees either of these routes happening anytime soon:

1) a return of NYC - IAH
2) ALB - DFW

Fire away
#1... it could be a possibility when more international service is started at JFK.

#2... not likely at all. You're more likely to see ALB-ORD started IMO.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Cltfc
So whats your point? I made a mistake on the state but it is is still South Western Germany. Oh I get it it, the location of stuttgart bolsters your hypothesis that CLT-FRA will continue to be flown. I have never stated with 100% certainty that CLT-FRA would be cut . I have said that it is an at risk route that may not make the cut when AA rationalizes its Atlantic Flying. However,you have posted repeatedly that the route will remain.Since you are so sure, you must have some intimate knowledge of internal AA Load/Profitability per route. Charlotte gets beaten up on this site because of posters like you who think CLT is going to be the center of the universe at the new AA, when it is in fact the weakest of the eastern hubs. Lets reconnect in a year or so when the T/A pull down begins at CLT.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
#1... it could be a possibility when more international service is started at JFK.
"When"? More likely "if," I think.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
CLT will likely remain as a primarily domestic hub, with some strategic transatlantic routes with strong O&D. Similar to how RDU-LHR fits into the system.

PHL will keep a lot of the secondary European cities as no other hub is as well suited for connecting flows. The upgauge to A332s from 762s will need more connecting feed this summer vs summers past, but it should be manageable with a stronger economy and better flows. JFK will keep its flows for O&D, but connecting from LGA/JFK is not an ideal passenger experience. Also removing feeder flights from prime-time slots allow for more O&D international flights vs. feeder flights.

Where I do see cuts in the combined system is ORD, and to some extent DFW. ORD served as an European connecting hub, and due to historic rules regarding LHR Access, also ends up with quite a number of LHR flights. With the combined network, it makes much more sense to route passengers from Mid-west / South to PHL to their destination in Europe than via ORD to LHR and then to BA for a final hop. There may not be a need for 4 AA flights to LHR - it's not the banker/lawyer shuttle that JFK is.

In addition - with the 77W and higher density 772s, there will be more seats for the same flights. Those freed up slots can be used to have BA fly to secondary cities with a 787 (similar to Austin). I just hope that AA does take back some flying like perhaps 1 BOS-LHR rotation.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by ericcheung
CLT will likely remain as a primarily domestic hub, with some strategic transatlantic routes with strong O&D. Similar to how RDU-LHR fits into the system.

PHL will keep a lot of the secondary European cities as no other hub is as well suited for connecting flows. The upgauge to A332s from 762s will need more connecting feed this summer vs summers past, but it should be manageable with a stronger economy and better flows. JFK will keep its flows for O&D, but connecting from LGA/JFK is not an ideal passenger experience. Also removing feeder flights from prime-time slots allow for more O&D international flights vs. feeder flights.

Where I do see cuts in the combined system is ORD, and to some extent DFW. ORD served as an European connecting hub, and due to historic rules regarding LHR Access, also ends up with quite a number of LHR flights. With the combined network, it makes much more sense to route passengers from Mid-west / South to PHL to their destination in Europe than via ORD to LHR and then to BA for a final hop. There may not be a need for 4 AA flights to LHR - it's not the banker/lawyer shuttle that JFK is.

In addition - with the 77W and higher density 772s, there will be more seats for the same flights. Those freed up slots can be used to have BA fly to secondary cities with a 787 (similar to Austin). I just hope that AA does take back some flying like perhaps 1 BOS-LHR rotation.

Agreed on CLT but disagree on ORD as there just aren't that many routes to cut and all of the non ORD-LHR flights that are seasonal are on 767's or 757's which can easily be redeployed seasonally. Its all of those CLT-Europe seasonal flights on A330-200's that US has flown in winter to FLA and the Islands that will be redeployed to year round routes and I suspect they will go to Miami. I still believe CLT will be the Hub that will lose the bulk of its transatlantic flying. I also expect some 767's will be deployed to PHL and some A330's to Miami...
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
PHL will also lose some transatlantic service - they will not be able to sustain some of the thinner routes with a higher AA cost structure compared to a lower US cost structure.

I also see the PHL TLV flight to eventually move to JFK - I see absolutely no logic in AA having a hub in JFK and not serving TLV from there !!

Chicago has enough O&D traffic to sustain a 9am daily 767 LHR service 10 months of the year - that should tell you enough, and it has enough first class demand to eventually warrant putting a 77W in, post completion of 772 refurbishments
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Hollinger Clarke
PHL will also lose some transatlantic service - they will not be able to sustain some of the thinner routes with a higher AA cost structure compared to a lower US cost structure.

I also see the PHL TLV flight to eventually move to JFK - I see absolutely no logic in AA having a hub in JFK and not serving TLV from there !!

Chicago has enough O&D traffic to sustain a 9am daily 767 LHR service 10 months of the year - that should tell you enough, and it has enough first class demand to eventually warrant putting a 77W in, post completion of 772 refurbishments

All the Hubs will look different, as far as TLV is concerned I think we will see a MIA-TLV flight before we see JFK-TLV. Big local market and a lot less competition, at JFK AA has to compete with multiple EL Al flights as well as Delta.I do think there will be some ORD-LHR flying cuts as Eastern Traffic that was routed west can now be routed over Philly... its simply geography
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Hollinger Clarke

I don't see PHL losing any international flights. It is in a great position for connections to Trans-Atlantic flights. Plus it serves a big market with little competition. Most Europe bound traffic AA routed through ORD and JFK can now be routed via PHL. PHL should serve as the main Trans-Atlantic gateway; ORD and JFK should focus on O&D traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.