Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diversions and drinking in cabin - what to do in FC?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Things happen and there are idiots that seem not to understand and blame employees that can't do anything about it. As a FA the only thing you can do is try to make the situation as pleasant as possible. I was on a DL flight last Sunday out of ATL sitting in Y. Despite a near one hour delay due to mechanical issues the FAs came through the aisles several times with water. The Captain made regular progress announcements to the paxs. Everyone just took it in stride.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by CanWeTAAlk
I'd like your feedback. I've experienced too many diversions to remember for a gaziollion reasons but of course mainly weather. As we sit on the ground I continue w/the drink service and my FC peeps are happy...for the time being. Drink, drink, drink. The Captain makes 1, 2, 3 announcements. First we are going to be leaving in 30 minutes. Drinks (YOU, not him). In 30 minutes he says it'll be another 30 minutes. Now it turns into a relationship between you and I that's not so fun anymore. Another announcement, another disappointment. More drinks until my FC peeps are furious and will never fly my airline again. What's a FC girl to do?
I would slow down the drink refreshment process. Less eye contact initiation with FC peeps. Look busy in the galley. Look busy talking to the GA about the nature of the delay.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
I remember a 3-hour diversion to Shreveport, Louisiana, while I was on an OAK-DFW-ZRH itinerary, as being an unexpectedly positive experience. It was due to t-storms at DFW and caused me to miss the departing Zurich flight.

Our MD-80 sat on the ground for awhile, along with many other planes, all of which had to be refueled using Shreveport's one fuel truck. Guess who was last in line?

The FAs came around with a round of drinks (in both F and Y), and some thoughtful conversation about connections. This was maybe 10 years ago, and there wasn't much information about connections, but there was empathy. Basically, they let us know what information they had, made a human connection regarding the delays, and provided an occasional update on how soon the fuel truck might get to us.

The thing I remember in particular is having a brief conversation with one of the FAs--not sure about what, probably where they were stationed or where I was headed, and then about the weather in Dallas. That made a big difference as compared to if the FAs had simply waited on the jumpseats, talking amongst themselves.

I figure the FAs can't control pax reactions, but they can help set the conditions of possibility for a pleasant experience, and for making the best of a tough situation.

HOWEVER--if you can control the weather, please come to California, as we could use some rain.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
^ Some good comments.

There is a tricky issue when dealing with the public, as the point of contact for the company. Sure, you need to present a unified front, and toe the company line....but there comes a point in your relationship with the public that you may need to 'part ways' with the company line. I've had pilots just shovel the same old crap into the mic during extended mechanical/gate delays, and Ive had pilots declare that they are as frustrated as the pax. The latter garner more respect AND IMO more (longer) cooperation. Sure they have thrown some aspect of the company under the bus, but (a) they deserve it and (b) it is obvious to all.

The trick is knowing when/how to allow some honesty through....

As an FA your job (aside from safety) is to make people comfortable. Just do that, you cannot fix external influences. Be as honest as possible, understand that you have to toe the company line, but also recognize that once you loose people's respect, you cant be effective.

I dont always drink on planes, but being asked sure is nice. A diet coke or sierra mist will calm me down as well.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I'd be happy to just have the drinks! I've been on AA diversions in First and not been offered anything to drink while we waited.
because the flight crew is far too busy doing something or other.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
On weather delays I've gotten free wine even in coach a number of times. Maybe I just looked as though I needed a drink more than most.

Yes, the 757 and the 767 do share the same cockpit.

And SFO777's comment is the funniest I've read in a while. (116,000 BIS 2015 miles? Already? You need more than a PDB, my friend!)
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by CanWeTAAlk
What's a FC girl to do?
1. offer drinks/snacks as you did.
2. be visible, don't just hide on the jumpseat.
3. realize that you will not please everyone (your job is like ours that way). If someone's been over-served and turns into angry drunk, you've been trained on how to deal with that. Most of us are happy drunks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.