FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Diversions and drinking in cabin - what to do in FC?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:18 pm
Exec_Plat

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
^ Some good comments.

There is a tricky issue when dealing with the public, as the point of contact for the company. Sure, you need to present a unified front, and toe the company line....but there comes a point in your relationship with the public that you may need to 'part ways' with the company line. I've had pilots just shovel the same old crap into the mic during extended mechanical/gate delays, and Ive had pilots declare that they are as frustrated as the pax. The latter garner more respect AND IMO more (longer) cooperation. Sure they have thrown some aspect of the company under the bus, but (a) they deserve it and (b) it is obvious to all.

The trick is knowing when/how to allow some honesty through....

As an FA your job (aside from safety) is to make people comfortable. Just do that, you cannot fix external influences. Be as honest as possible, understand that you have to toe the company line, but also recognize that once you loose people's respect, you cant be effective.

I dont always drink on planes, but being asked sure is nice. A diet coke or sierra mist will calm me down as well.