Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond
24 Hours Out, First Is Seemingly Empty...

Just checked in online and I am still in coach. DCA-BOS.

AA can do what they want with their FC seats..they are a business. In addition, it is an hour flight, and I can sit on the wing for an hour.

But - really?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:03 pm

EXP upgrade success rate on BOS-LAX / LAX-BOS routes

Hi All,

Can anyone comment on the success rates for EXP to get upgraded on American's BOS to LAX and LAX to BOS non-stop routes? I typically fly Thurs/ Fri BOS to LAX in the afternoon (4:30) or evening (7:30) and Sun/ Mon (red-eye) LAX to BOS, but I have some flexibility.

So I thought I'd start booking flights in which I have a better chance of upgrade.

Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:12 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with existing "what are my upgrade changes" thread to keep the forum tidy. /Moderator

Originally Posted by daoanhvo
Hi All,

Can anyone comment on the success rates for EXP to get upgraded on American's BOS to LAX and LAX to BOS non-stop routes? I typically fly Thurs/ Fri BOS to LAX in the afternoon (4:30) or evening (7:30) and Sun/ Mon (red-eye) LAX to BOS, but I have some flexibility.

So I thought I'd start booking flights in which I have a better chance of upgrade.

Thanks!

With the tight inventory these days, I find upgrade availability to be all over the place. If there's a big conference in town, F inventory can often be taken months in advance. Peak travel periods just naturally have lots of people buying across all cabins. (I find myself flying the direct much less these days, as the times and upgrade liklihood aren't to my liking.) You may want to consider getting an ExpertFlyert subscription so that you can get some visibility into the flight loads when you book or for potential confirmed flight change within 24 hours of travel.

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 17, 2015 at 12:19 pm
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:57 pm

AA 153 (ORD/NRT) - SWU chances

I am EXP and looking at waitlisting a SWU on AA 153 between ORD and NRT for mid-week departure in Sept/Oct 2016 on the 788. Clearly, there will be confirmable upgrade space, but I’m just trying to maximize the likelihood of clearing the SWU.

EF shows only 1 J seat currently occupied (this is seat 1A, and it’s blocked for every flight I search – is that a crew rest seat?)
EF also shows that MCE is completely open except for 8J-L, 14J-L, and 18D-H, which are also blocked on every flight I searched.

In other words, the “usual” indicators are good that I’ll be near the to of the upgrade list. Is there anything unusual about the 788 or this route that would change that (e.g., does J get filled by paid customers more on this route than others)? Are SWUs on this route more likely to clear than on others?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Casper97
I am EXP and looking at waitlisting a SWU on AA 153 between ORD and NRT for mid-week departure in Sept/Oct 2016 on the 788. Clearly, there will be confirmable upgrade space, but I’m just trying to maximize the likelihood of clearing the SWU.

EF shows only 1 J seat currently occupied (this is seat 1A, and it’s blocked for every flight I search – is that a crew rest seat?)
EF also shows that MCE is completely open except for 8J-L, 14J-L, and 18D-H, which are also blocked on every flight I searched.

In other words, the “usual” indicators are good that I’ll be near the to of the upgrade list. Is there anything unusual about the 788 or this route that would change that (e.g., does J get filled by paid customers more on this route than others)? Are SWUs on this route more likely to clear than on others?
Sep/Oct 2016 is way, way off in the future, it's likely you're the first person booked on the flight and would undoubtedly be at the top of the waitlist. Flying mid-week definitely increases your chances as well.

Booking this far out it's anybody's guess as to how much paid J traffic you'd be competing with, as most of this wouldn't be purchased until a month or so before the trip.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Sep/Oct 2016 is way, way off in the future, it's likely you're the first person booked on the flight and would undoubtedly be at the top of the waitlist. Flying mid-week definitely increases your chances as well.

Booking this far out it's anybody's guess as to how much paid J traffic you'd be competing with, as most of this wouldn't be purchased until a month or so before the trip.
Yes, booking this far out the best you can say is that you'll be at the top of the list, and maybe not even that. I booked a JFK-MXP flight 6 months out with no MCE seats taken and only 1 or 2 J seats taken. I somehow ended up 5th on the airport list and no one cleared.

It's maddening that a J cabin can be completely empty and not a single seat is made available for upgrade.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
[QUOTE
Yes, booking this far out the best you can say is that you'll be at the top of the list, and maybe not even that. I booked a JFK-MXP flight 6 months out with no MCE seats taken and only 1 or 2 J seats taken. I somehow ended up 5th on the airport list and no one cleared.

It's maddening that a J cabin can be completely empty and not a single seat is made available for upgrade.[/QUOTE]

Is it just MXP or everywhere. I've been wait listed for that flight on christmas day for months. the seatmap had been at 2 seats taken for months with U open. Now just 5 days out still only 4 seats taken and still no upgrade. I wasn't worried till I saw your post on JFK - MXP.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Does anyone know the reasoning on why you can't do a comp upgrade from paid J to F on the 321T? Seems like a strange anomaly...
Old Dec 19, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by unhappyflyer
Is it just MXP or everywhere. I've been wait listed for that flight on christmas day for months. the seatmap had been at 2 seats taken for months with U open. Now just 5 days out still only 4 seats taken and still no upgrade. I wasn't worried till I saw your post on JFK - MXP.
I wouldn't worry if J is mostly empty this close to departure. My point was that an empty J cabin months before departure is of little use in predicting an eventual upgrade. Nor apparently is an empty MCE cabin a guarantee you'll be at the top of the wait list.

My guess is your upgrade will clear on Monday.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 3:55 am

Programs: AA EP
No j to f com upgrades have been the policy for as long as I can remember....probably something to do with wanting to protect the F transcon product.

Originally Posted by uscjeff
Does anyone know the reasoning on why you can't do a comp upgrade from paid J to F on the 321T? Seems like a strange anomaly...
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:48 am

Anybody have any history/success with an upgrade on GRU-LAX since they have changed it over to the 788? It's looking like much more of an uphill battle than I thought it would be.

I'm flying 1/24/16 with a second person. But looking at random days in January the J cabin looks to be sold extremely well.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Good news -- just got off LAX-PVG on AA 182 on 12/19. The weeks/days leading up to it the cabin was showing J0 and then J1 24 hours before. It was a full flight, but I cleared along with the only other person on the upgrade list (surprised there weren't more people). The seats on the 788 are narrower than the 77W but it's still business nevertheless!

It seemed like the majority of people were foreign Chinese students (presumably doing an bachelor's/master's/PhD in LA) which explains why the flights were full across both cabins as it is their winter break.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Good news -- just got off LAX-PVG on AA 182 on 12/19. The weeks/days leading up to it the cabin was showing J0 and then J1 24 hours before. It was a full flight, but I cleared along with the only other person on the upgrade list (surprised there weren't more people). The seats on the 788 are narrower than the 77W but it's still business nevertheless!

It seemed like the majority of people were foreign Chinese students (presumably doing an bachelor's/master's/PhD in LA) which explains why the flights were full across both cabins as it is their winter break.
Congrats! So you cleared at the gate? I'm keeping an eye still on the bizarre situation that is PVG>LAX (AA182) on Jan 5. Still showing 12 unassigned J seats and tons in coach on AA's site, but expertflyer still showing it zeroed out:

J0 R0 D0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 G0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 T0

Also had a look at the admiral's club with a friendly employee there and she said it was showing as "all seats sold" but agreed it was bizarre.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Stripe
I wouldn't worry if J is mostly empty this close to departure. My point was that an empty J cabin months before departure is of little use in predicting an eventual upgrade. Nor apparently is an empty MCE cabin a guarantee you'll be at the top of the wait list.

My guess is your upgrade will clear on Monday.
I am in a similar situation here, booked on Xmas day to FRA and wait listed with SWUs. According to EF ZERO seats in business are taken (except crew rest blocked) and all business buckets are 7. I'm beginning to get paranoid and wonder if they ever close down a premium cabin without paid fares for a particular flight to save $$$...
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lt1GM
I am in a similar situation here, booked on Xmas day to FRA and wait listed with SWUs. According to EF ZERO seats in business are taken (except crew rest blocked) and all business buckets are 7. I'm beginning to get paranoid and wonder if they ever close down a premium cabin without paid fares for a particular flight to save $$$...
The good news is that the FA's are primarily there for your safety, and even with an empty business cabin they'd still need the FA's to cover the total passenger load.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.