Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rebooked in full Y. Free elite upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:40 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Rebooked in full Y. Free elite upgrade?

Due to this morning's chaos, I am rebooked in full Y on flights on Monday.

I am in full Y (although my original fare basis is NOT Y).

On AA.com I can request upgrades with 500 milers for "0 per person"

But will this really work in practice, or will I be charged 500 milers at time of flight?

Admirals Club agent looked into the record and said that the system WOULD be set up to pull 500 milers.

Just wanted to see if anyone has experience with this.

Side note: We were something like 4th in line for takeoff this morning when the ground hold hit. Good times. Glad I was in my home city! Good luck to those stranded
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
I'd say there's a chance it will work without deducting stickers, but not guaranteed. Of course, you'll probably be competing with all the other folks who were rebooked in Y.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
I'd say there's a chance it will work without deducting stickers, but not guaranteed. Of course, you'll probably be competing with all the other folks who were rebooked in Y.
This would be my opinion as well.

However, the cancellations may make the chance of any upgrade clearing all the more challenging b/c of the # of pax in paid F that will need to be accommodated.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:31 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

I understand the chances of clearing are not good - I'm not worried about that. I have nothing to lose by getting on the waitlist.

The question is what happens IF I DO actually clear.

Anyone with experience in this situation?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
If you do actually clear, you likely will not have stickers deducted.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Go for it!

You only live once
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Back in my PLT days, I would say it was 50/50 whether or not I would have stickers deducted when rebooked into Y due to IRROPS. Since there are some Y fares that do require stickers to upgrade (such as YCA government fares) - there seems to be some behind-the-scenes mechanism to differentiate Y fares with respect to sticker upgrades.

I would plan on having the stickers available to be deducted (even when it says "0 per person" required), and then you can be pleasantly surprised if they aren't pulled.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Officially you will get charged the stickers. Not all "Y" fares are identical and the system can differentiate between a paid full Y fare and one that you got stuck in due to a rebooking. My wife (she was Gold at the time) and I were traveling out of BOS on DL and got rebooked to AA due to IROPs. At the ticket counter the agent said she needed to buy stickers, I said no she's on a Y fare, and somehow she got a BP. The stickers came from my account, but I called AAdvantage CS a couple of days later and got the stickers replaced as a "one time exception".

AA.com does specifically define "Full fare economy" as "Fares beginning with Y or B, excluding military/government fares".

Bottom line: be prepared to use stickers to get on the plane but you may be able to get them back.

There is some good news, however. The Y fare will help your upgrade priority and you will get 1.5x EQPs.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All I can say is that I'm glad the husband's SNA-ORD on Monday cleared yesterday!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:25 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

So I went ahead and requested the upgrades and then on the next page, it changed from showing 0 upgrades required, to 2 upgrades required (flight was less than 1000 miles).

Decided to just call and take my name off the list since I am low on stickers and didn't want to deal with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.