Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible for AA to give you EQM without Flying?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Two years ago I had an intra-Texas flight that was cancelled. There was severe weather and no other options for a return to Dallas on that same day. I decided to keep my rental car and just drive home. AA cancelled the flight, refunded the appropriate amount for the leg, and I received EQM and EQP for the leg as if I actually flew it. I am EXP and explained that I needed it for re-qualification.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Lookin4Points
Two years ago I had an intra-Texas flight that was cancelled. There was severe weather and no other options for a return to Dallas on that same day. I decided to keep my rental car and just drive home. AA cancelled the flight, refunded the appropriate amount for the leg, and I received EQM and EQP for the leg as if I actually flew it. I am EXP and explained that I needed it for re-qualification.
Two things come to mind:

That was then, this is now.

In your case, AA cancelled your flight. In this instance, the cancellation resulted in a shorter and actually more convenient trip (eliminating the redundant LAX-DFE-SMF segments).
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by inpd
So my original booking was 11/03 Smf lax pvg ret 11/08 pvg dfw lax Smf

The ret leg was changed to pvg lax Smf leaving me 1500 miles short.

I tried via aa.com but nothing on either date works. Only option is to return one day earlier or later which is undesirable
Yup, that's a problem. Best thing to do is complete the trip, then call or write AAdvantage customer service and ask for ORC at that time. Make sure they understand you did that routing specifically to get over the hump and you have everything thoroughly documented.

Not saying that will definitely work. One problem is if the original flights no longer exist in the schedule there is not straightforward way to give you credit for them.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: AADULtArer
What the hell type of extravagant lives do you guys have that you even think its in the realm of possibility to spend $40K on a credit card in 2.5 months?

I don't even spend $40K on my credit cards for the entire year.
The first (and only) time I read the Manufactured Spend forums my jaw needed a hydraulic jack to be returned to my head...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
So my original booking was 11/03 Smf lax pvg ret 11/08 pvg dfw lax Smf

The ret leg was changed to pvg lax Smf leaving me 1500 miles short.

I tried via aa.com but nothing on either date works. Only option is to return one day earlier or later which is undesirable
I don't understand why AA would not give ORC for the PVG-DFW-LAX-SMF being changed to PVG-LAX-SMF. I would imagine you will have pretty good luck getting Original Routing Credit for that. As soon as you finish traveling call and ask for ORC, explain to them that due to an involuntary routing change you ended up with fewer miles than your original routing would have given you. You may have to HUCA, but I think you have a good chance of getting them to give you the ORC.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
I don't understand why AA would not give ORC for the PVG-DFW-LAX-SMF being changed to PVG-LAX-SMF. I would imagine you will have pretty good luck getting Original Routing Credit for that. As soon as you finish traveling call and ask for ORC, explain to them that due to an involuntary routing change you ended up with fewer miles than your original routing would have given you. You may have to HUCA, but I think you have a good chance of getting them to give you the ORC.
I see your logic, but people disagree. Have you tried doing what you suggest?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
I haven't done this in the case of flight that was canceled before the day of departure. I have done this in the case of IRROPS causing me to skip a leg and just fly the direct (instead of LAX-DFW-NRT, flew LAX-NRT and got ORC).

I just don't know WHY they wouldn't allow you to receive ORC for this situation. I haven't seen anybody say why this situation is different either. There may very well be a reason/policy in place, I just don't know of it.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:10 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Any reason why not contacting AA and mention this to them. At least there will be a notation that due to this change, you will be xxx miles short of EXP, that will work in your favor. In the end, how many miles will you need for EXP, and that is not including those 2k miles you got in error that you mentioned on a previous thread. That's about 3.5k miles.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Originally Posted by makfan
... AA will usually be persuaded to give you ORC in these cases if you ask politely at the time of rebooking so they can note it in the flight record.
Originally Posted by Stripe
...Best thing to do is complete the trip, then call or write AAdvantage customer service and ask for ORC at that time.
Over the years here, I've seen both kinds of advice, which are conflicting (ask before travel versus ask after travel). Usually those who say "ask before travel" also state that it's really important to have the request noted in the PNR before travel, suggesting that without such a pre-existing notation, the ORC request will be denied.

Does anyone know non-anecdotally which is the "right" way to request ORC?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Eye of Storm
At the moment you notice there is a change that results in less mileage earned is the best moment to ask. I feel its best for it to be on record. Once the travel is completed, then mention the ORC and loss of mileage that will result possible failure for status qualification, and redeemable miles.

Years ago AA used to call travelers and offer the opportunity to change their flight to a more direct route for $49, I used to get those calls a lot, as I would travel ORD-DFW/LAX-SJU and they would change it ORD-SJU direct, I always responded no thanks, doing it for the miles. I have not heard much about this happening for the past couple of years.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by arollins
Years ago AA used to call travelers and offer the opportunity to change their flight to a more direct route for $49, I used to get those calls a lot, as I would travel ORD-DFW/LAX-SJU and they would change it ORD-SJU direct, I always responded no thanks, doing it for the miles. I have not heard much about this happening for the past couple of years.
Probably aren't many unsold seats to move you to.

I got one of those calls now and then, usually to switch an SFO-LAX-JFK to direct routing.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eye of Storm
Over the years here, I've seen both kinds of advice, which are conflicting (ask before travel versus ask after travel). Usually those who say "ask before travel" also state that it's really important to have the request noted in the PNR before travel, suggesting that without such a pre-existing notation, the ORC request will be denied.

Thanks for your advise. I emailed. Agent called, said she couldn't do anything now, couldn't guarantee anything either, but did make a note in my record. Was told to call back after traveling but absolutely no guarantee I would get ORC!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Re-routing in advance usually doesn't result in ORC. However AA will be flexible in that you could have requested an extra segment like LAX-DFW-SMF, instead of the LAX-SMF. You could have said I was planning to and would still like to meet with a friend or a family member during my connection at DFW and that is why I booked the itinerary through DFW in the first place. I try to meet up with a friend for a drink or dinner at DFW if I have a long connection, so this is true for me.

If AA re-routed you on the day of travel due to mechanical or other delays, getting an ORC is typically not a problem.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
I have only gotten ORC, and only 1 time. I had a flight from GRR-ORD-STL that was snowed out, and I was scheduled to be back in GRR before they could get me on a plane to STL. They begrudgingly gave me ORC for both legs I didn't fly and told me it was a 1 time thing.

I can't imagine with the time out you have that you will get approved for something like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.