DFW-BKK, which connection?

Old Oct 2, 14, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
DFW-BKK, which connection?

I am considering DFW-BKK next year and the main options are -

(1) DFW-NRT-BKK. Connections are good but I arrive BKK at 11PM.

(2) DFW-HKG-BKK. There is 14 hr overnight at HKG airport but I arrive at 11AM.

Which one would you do? All in coach, no SWUs, but I'll have lounges.
Old Oct 2, 14, 5:48 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, DL Plat, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
If you can get some sleep on the plane, then I would do the shorter layover.

If not, and you don't mind paying for a hotel room at HKG, then go for the longer one.

I personally would not stay 14 hours in the airport, lounge access or not.
Old Oct 2, 14, 6:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I would definitely do DFW-NRT-BKK. I've done that several times. It's actually not that bad. Usually by the time I get to my room at BKK after midnight, I'm so tired that I sleep through the night and have no jetlag at all the next day.
Old Oct 2, 14, 6:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2P
That doesn't sound right. Unless AA or CX are doing some major schedule changes or modifications to their codeshare agreement next year, there should be one or two same-day connections in HKG on AA codeshares operated by CX. (See AA8897 and AA8895, the latter of which is only a possible connection on Tu/Th/Su.) Also check RJ, which flies HKG-BKK late in the day and has much better AAdvantage earning than CX on non-codeshare flights.
Old Oct 2, 14, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nachosdelux View Post
I personally would not stay 14 hours in the airport, lounge access or not.
Thanks. Actually, HKG is a decent airport to sleep in as you can get a long and flat padded bench to sleep in. However, the point is well taken that a real hotel bed would be better. Real hotels would be cheaper in BKK, so might make sense to the night there.

Originally Posted by ben78 View Post
That doesn't sound right. Unless AA or CX are doing some major schedule changes or modifications to their codeshare agreement next year, there should be one or two same-day connections in HKG on AA codeshares operated by CX. (See AA8897 and AA8895, the latter of which is only a possible connection on Tu/Th/Su.) Also check RJ, which flies HKG-BKK late in the day and has much better AAdvantage earning than CX on non-codeshare flights.
Right. However, I simply noted my options and forgot to mention that I need to use AA metal up till either NRT or HKG. Moreover, as an AA elite in a long transpac in coach, I probably could get a better seat at AA than CX metal (even with AA #).
Old Oct 2, 14, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
Right. However, I simply noted my options and forgot to mention that I need to use AA metal up till either NRT or HKG. Moreover, as an AA elite in a long transpac in coach, I probably could get a better seat at AA than CX metal (even with AA #).
nachosdelux was referring to the fact that you shouldn't need the 14-hour layover in HKG because there are several onward connections you could get on sooner than you planned.
Old Oct 2, 14, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by LucWise View Post
Usually by the time I get to my room at BKK after midnight, I'm so tired that I sleep through the night and have no jetlag at all the next day.
This ^. Power through, get there, sleep, get up ready to go.
Old Oct 2, 14, 8:20 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX DM (Emerald), former Hyatt DM, and current Marriott Gold.
I would do DFW-HKG-BKK for sure. Your flight gets in around 18:05. Barring there isn't any delay, you could go on either the 20:00 flight, 21:50 flight, and 22:00 flight, depending on the day. On average, you have 3 options, and that's not including the days that RJ operates a HKG-BKK flight. Heck, you might even be able to do it on UL too.

Connecting in NRT, you have one chance. If you don't make it, you spend a night in Narita.

Last edited by 77W_12A; Oct 2, 14 at 8:27 am
Old Oct 2, 14, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gemini573 View Post
I would do DFW-HKG-BKK for sure. Your flight gets in around 18:05. Barring there isn't any delay, you could go on either the 20:00 flight, 21:50 flight, and 22:00 flight, depending on the day. On average, you have 3 options, and that's not including the days that RJ operates a HKG-BKK flight. Heck, you might even be able to do it on UL too.

Connecting in NRT, you have one chance. If you don't make it, you spend a night in Narita.
This 100%. Not only that, but the last thing I personally want to do after getting off a long flight is get on another long flight. Years ago, I did DFW-NRT-BKK in J, and even that was miserable. You'll be tired enough hopping off DFW-NRT, then the thought of another 6 hours in coach will drive you even crazier. I always prefer to do as much of the journey as I can during the first flight, then hop a short 1-2 hour connection over a 6-hour connecting flight.
Old Oct 2, 14, 9:42 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post
This 100%. Not only that, but the last thing I personally want to do after getting off a long flight is get on another long flight. Years ago, I did DFW-NRT-BKK in J, and even that was miserable. You'll be tired enough hopping off DFW-NRT, then the thought of another 6 hours in coach will drive you even crazier. I always prefer to do as much of the journey as I can during the first flight, then hop a short 1-2 hour connection over a 6-hour connecting flight.
But, if the NRT-BKK leg is anything like the NRT-SIN leg I have done then he could get a whole row of seats and sleep on the plane.

With that said, I would take the HKG connection. In theory the 773 MCE should be better than the 772.
Old Oct 2, 14, 10:14 am

Programs: AA, HH
I have done both of these this year. I would go with the DFW-NRT BKK. Take a shower in NRT and you are ready to go for the next flight. The DFW-HKG is just way too long in coach, even in MCE with an extra seat next to me it was a beating.
Old Oct 2, 14, 11:03 am

Programs: AA, UA
I recommend DFW-NRT-BKK. I don't overnighting at airports.
Old Oct 2, 14, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
I commute RT BKK-BOS-BKK roughly every other month. I only connect in HKG if I'm in F on CX using a mileage redemption. Otherwise, I have no interest in a 16 hour flight in Y. I get to NRT, take a shower (JL club admission based on PLT status), relax a bit, then it's roughly six hours to BKK. If I'm going to be in Y, I do much better with the longest flight only being roughly 12 hours. The extra time on the TPAC does make a difference to my body, apparently. I also like getting to BKK hotel at midnight or a little after. Travel is finished; and I'm nearly always tired enough that I sleep through the night.
Old Oct 2, 14, 1:53 pm

Programs: aa
My wife and I do dfw-bkk often, not as often as dr hfh though we have had to overnight in both tokyo and Hong Kong a few times because of a late arrival. I like the NRT route better. Take a shower, get a drink, and get to bkk! Ditto what others have said about jet leg. I usually don't notice anything after the first night. The trip back home is a totally different story

Our son would tell you to take the HKG flight because when we missed our connection there, they put us up in a super cool hotel that he loved.

Last time we flew to BKK, the curfew was started while we were on the flight from tokyo. They gave us a special pass when we got off the plane to show the military in case we were stopped. We made it to the hotel in record time. It was surreal to see the streets almost totally empty!
Old Oct 2, 14, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
nachosdelux was referring to the fact that you shouldn't need the 14-hour layover in HKG because there are several onward connections you could get on sooner than you planned.
I understand. I was looking at AA codeshares which forces the longer connection. Shorter connections especially CX do show up if I don't ask for the codeshare.

If I were doing HKG route, a shorter connection would be attractive even with fewer AA miles. However, I am looking at NRT seriously, mostly persuaded by the "12 hr v 17 hr in coach" argument.

Thanks to all for your most helpful input.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: