Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

JFK, EWR, LGA co-terminals - No longer able to switch airports on an award ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK, EWR, LGA co-terminals - No longer able to switch airports on an award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, and about everything else

Returning with AA via JFK on an international award in F, availability on to SJU (final destination) is non-existent out of JKF, no problem out of LGA on US but was told that as of 7/18/14 this will require a separate award, US will no longer accept an airport change on same itinerary. Not even able to downgrade.

Suggest call back, escalate, or suck it up?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What is the full itinerary you are trying to book as a single award? Have you tried booking it at aa.com?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Is this using US miles or AA?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Using AA miles, one-way award, MIlesaver first, 11/9 departure out of Hanoi, 11/11 out of SFO, looking for a 11/12 departure out of JFK Route is:
HAN-KUL-PVG-LAX-SFO-JFK-SJU. No availability in any class out of JFK at this point.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you searched for an award seat from LAX to SJU?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Have you tried HUACA a few times? This would be a ridiculous change.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Checking LHR-SJU (seems like a simpler case than HAN) online aa.com Nov12, Milesaver F, one of the options offered is BA to JFK, then US LGA-PHL-SJU. It even notes "Different connection airports".

So the ground transfer and a JFK/LGA connection clearly is still allowed.

I'd HUACA, see if another agent can help, or at least figure out what rule you're actually bumping up against.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I plan to use AA miles for one-way award travel MUC-DCA or NUE-DCA in July 2015. While July 2015 travel cannot yet be booked, last week I checked a few dates in June 2015 to get a sense of possible options without using BA. In each case, flights were available on AB (via TXL or DUS) to JFK, followed by an LGA-DCA flight on US. Since I did not attempt to book these flights, I do not know if a booking would have gone through.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Keep in mind LGA & JFK are not co-terminals for US. That might be what is causing the issue.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Well, it took me three "hang-up and call backs" and about 4 hours on the phone before I finally booked (ticket "on request" anyways) exactly what I wanted. No explanation was given, nor asked for.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by justind
Well, it took me three "hang-up and call backs" and about 4 hours on the phone before I finally booked (ticket "on request" anyways) exactly what I wanted. No explanation was given, nor asked for.
^

Sounds about par for the course.

I'll bet this won't be the last time we hear of this issue. AA is forcing tons of domestic F awards onto US junk metal, and with it comes weird routings that don't match up. To/from my base of DCA it is real bad. Trying to get to JFK they force you onto the shuttle to LGA; almost zero AA/Eagle availability for JFK a lot of the time.

Last edited by arlflyer; Jul 22, 2014 at 12:56 pm
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I recall a thread a while back regarding airport change in NYC and for US the connection between the 2 airports was suppressed and so not valid
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I recall a thread a while back regarding airport change in NYC and for US the connection between the 2 airports was suppressed and so not valid
If using US miles, that may well be that case; I don't know. But I know that on the AA side, using AA miles and US (and other partner) metal, which is what the OP states their position to be, changing NY airports is OK. For example I have booked DCA-LGA (US), JFK-HKG (CX) with AA miles.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by arlflyer
If using US miles, that may well be that case; I don't know. But I know that on the AA side, using AA miles and US (and other partner) metal, which is what the OP states their position to be, changing NY airports is OK. For example I have booked DCA-LGA (US), JFK-HKG (CX) with AA miles.
Nothing to do with whose miles, simply that the MCT was Suppressed , so no valid connection could be made

Found the thread at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...onnection.html
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Although -not- applicable to international itins, I do believe we might be seeing another "to better align with US" type change here.

More info incoming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.