Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

JFK, EWR, LGA co-terminals - No longer able to switch airports on an award ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK, EWR, LGA co-terminals - No longer able to switch airports on an award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For domestic connections between airports where the onward flight is on US, there is no valid connection between the 2 airports

AA does not have such issues, so there is no problem with connecting between airports where the onward flight is on AA

Is aa.com offering domestic - domestic connections where onward travel is on US from the other airport
AA is offering LGA-DCA flights on US after arrival at JFK on a flight from Europe (on AB, in my case). At one point I had such an award (NUE-TXL-JFK; LGA-DCA) booked for October 2014 travel, though I have now changed (on my own initiative) to a more convenient AA JFK-DCA flight which was not available for award travel at the time of initial booking. Last week I saw MUC-DUS-JFK; LGA-DCA award flights in June 2015 listed on the AA website, though I did not attempt a booking.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPG3392
AA is offering LGA-DCA flights on US after arrival at JFK on a flight from Europe (on AB, in my case). At one point I had such an award (NUE-TXL-JFK; LGA-DCA) booked for October 2014 travel, though I have now changed (on my own initiative) to a more convenient AA JFK-DCA flight which was not available for award travel at the time of initial booking. Last week I saw MUC-DUS-JFK; LGA-DCA award flights in June 2015 listed on the AA website, though I did not attempt a booking.
International - Domestic connections are not suppressed. TXL-NYC-DCA is ok . It is only Domestic-Domestic connections that show as suppressed
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:11 pm
Suspended

You mention "last week", this was "maintained" in AA's files on July 18th. Although there were reports of people having issues well before, but, still, things might have changed on July 18th.

Then there's the issue of AA.com's pricing engine possibly doing things that they aren't supposed to in some cases, compared to talking to an AAgent, etc.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, and about everything else
Originally Posted by JonNYC
You mention "last week", this was "maintained" in AA's files on July 18th. Although there were reports of people having issues well before, but, still, things might have changed on July 18th.

Then there's the issue of AA.com's pricing engine possibly doing things that they aren't supposed to in some cases, compared to talking to an AAgent, etc.
I believe you're correct. The "hang up and call again" policy still works on this, only now you're hoping to get someone that DOESN'T know the rules. I really hope this is temporary thing that will disappear once the merger is complete and isn't a first step toward implementing this policy.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by justind
I believe you're correct. The "hang up and call again" policy still works on this, only now you're hoping to get someone that DOESN'T know the rules. I really hope this is temporary thing that will disappear once the merger is complete and isn't a first step toward implementing this policy.
We can hope, but I do kinda wonder. It would certainly mitigate risk to not allow these routings, as ground transfers introduce a nontrivial chance of the pax not ending up at airport #2.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by justind
...I really hope this is temporary thing that will disappear once the merger is complete and isn't a first step toward implementing this policy.
I'd say it's certainly the latter, not the former, if I'm reading your question right. That is to say, this -is- the new policy.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:36 am

I can't see why it would be temporary and would seem to be AA aligning its MCTs with US , which already had it

It isn't just a policy but is a change to the MCTs that are in the reservation systems. If looking at MCT for NYC, AA also now has inter airport changes "suppressed" for domestic-domestic connections

I would be surprised if it took very long for agents to be au fait with the meaning of suppressed
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Perhaps it doesn't matter, but why would an airline choose to suppress these connections? What is the benefit to them? It wouldn't seem to cut costs or increase revenues. And by offering additional options to potential ticket buyers, it could increase revenues.

And whatever the reason might be, why would the reason apply only to domestic connections but not international ones?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:41 am

Perhaps it reduces complaints and dissatisfaction from people buying tickets not realising that there is a airport change invoved.

With domestic travel, there would seem to be little reason for needing to change airports ; not too hard to arrange to end up at whichever of LGA/EWR/JFK as needed whilst with international flights, a lot less opportunity to do so. AA has ( for example ) no flights to/from Europe from LGA but a lot of domestic services operate there
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:30 am
Suspended

Although -not- applicable to international itins, I do believe we might be seeing another "to better align with US" type change here.
...I don't see it as alignment with US
I can't see why it would be temporary and would seem to be AA aligning its MCTs with US...
Glad to see you changed your mind.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:06 am

Glad to see you changed your mind.
In 1st post I thought that the poster was trying to depart on US and US has had that rule at the time so just adhering to US's rules rather than an introduction of a new policy to prohibit connections to US acrposs airports

That AA has also changed its policy I do not disagree with but hadnt noticed it at the time
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by swag
Perhaps it doesn't matter, but why would an airline choose to suppress these connections? What is the benefit to them? It wouldn't seem to cut costs or increase revenues. And by offering additional options to potential ticket buyers, it could increase revenues.

And whatever the reason might be, why would the reason apply only to domestic connections but not international ones?
Surely it has to do have something to do with the 4 hour versus 24 hour times before it becomes a "stopover". And risk mitigation within that 4 hour window. They're likely to have a lot of broken connections if they allow that in under 4 hours. Those 4 hours can get eaten up real quick.

Look at DCA-IAD. DCA, sometimes take 30 min to get a checked bag. Then someone calls Red Top or waits in the taxi line, 15-30 minutes sometimes, then hits horrible traffic to IAD on 66 or the DTR, then you get to Dulles, try to recheck, go through security, good luck if you don't have TSA Pre, ride the stupid train, walk to the VERY END of B where AA flies, and your 4 hours are gone.

I think the simple answer is:

1) They think a lot of people can't do it in 4 hours
2) They don't want to deal with picking up the pieces when it breaks
3) They don't want to relax their 4 hour domestic connection rule
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United

Both of these things are quite possible. In any case, as of this morning [July 24th] the website still shows MUC/NUE/STR-TXL/DUS-JFK [AB}; LGA-DCA [US] flights as available for award travel in June 2015.

I can't book my own flight for another month or so, since I wish to travel in July 2015. If and when I end up trying to book flights with LGA-DCA as the last segment (it's not my first choice, but nothing better may be available), I'll report on the result.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:00 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Both of these things are quite possible. In any case, as of this morning [July 24th] the website still shows MUC/NUE/STR-TXL/DUS-JFK [AB}; LGA-DCA [US] flights as available for award travel in June 2015.

I can't book my own flight for another month or so, since I wish to travel in July 2015. If and when I end up trying to book flights with LGA-DCA as the last segment (it's not my first choice, but nothing better may be available), I'll report on the result.
Yes that is because you are on an international to domestic connection. That is still allowed.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HNL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Yes that is because you are on an international to domestic connection. That is still allowed.
Zactly. Why are people having such a hard time with this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.