Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

FAs Sleeping in First - Revenue Pax w/ Broken Seat Denied Seat Change? EZE-JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"...the collective bargaining agreement between AA and APFA has all of our answers. Here are relevant excerpts":

From Appendix ZZ, Letter I:
On domestic flights and on international flights of less than five (5) hours of scheduled flying time, if a passenger is either assigned or requests to move to a designated crew rest seat, the passenger's request will be accommodated.

On domestic flights and on international flights of five (5) hours or more but less than eight (8) hours scheduled flying time, if a passenger is either assigned or requests to move to a designated crew rest seat, prior to takeoff, the passenger's request will be accommodated. On such flights, after takeoff, a passenger who requests to move to a designated crew rest seat will be accommodated at the discretion of the Purser or Lead Flight Attendant.

On international flights of eight (8) hours or greater scheduled flying time, designated crew rest seat/bunks as set forth in Appendix I., Article 30.L. will be provided solely for the use of Flight Attendants.

From Appendix ZZ, Letter II:
The APFA agrees that the Company is not restricted from assigning any available seat according to its established Customer Service policies and procedures (including those established pursuant to paragraph 1. above). The APFA recognizes that a passenger should not be denied accommodation for a seat, nor should a Flight Attendant deny a request by a passenger to move into an open seat in order to retain a seat for Flight Attendant personal use for in-flight rest, except that, after takeoff, a passenger who requests to move to a designated crew rest seat will be accommodated at the discretion of the Purser or Lead Flight Attendant. Furthermore, the APFA agrees that Flight Attendants should not request Customer Service personnel to withhold seating from passengers beyond that which is provided by the Company's policies and procedures.

From Appendix ZZ, Letter VI:
In the event one (1) or more Bunks/Crew Rest Seats become unavailable for use due to a significant malfunction, the Company will provide substitute Crew Rest Seats as follows:

For flights eight (8) hours or more scheduled flying time but not exceeding twelve (12) hours scheduled flying time, one (1) regular Main Cabin passenger seat will be provided on a one-for-one basis for each Crew Rest Seat which is unusable.

For flights over twelve (12) hours scheduled flying time on 777 aircraft configured with bunks, one (1) regular Business Class passenger seat will be provided on a one-for-one basis for each Bunk which is unusable, if a Business Class passenger seat is available. Should a Business Class passenger seat be unavailable, a Main Cabin passenger seat will be made available.

For the purposes of this letter, “significant malfunction” will mean a lack of functionality. Examples of significant malfunctions will include: the crew rest seat has no recline or the seat cushion is missing or there is no oxygen access to a bunk/seat. Examples which do not constitute a significant malfunction include: a lack of a reading light or missing curtain or an inoperative footrest.

From Appendix ZZ, Letter XI:
During the interim period while the 767-300 aircraft is being modified to install the new crew rest seat accommodations, the Company will designate two (2) Main Cabin seats as crew rest seats in addition to the existing crew rest double.
-from Dr. HFH, post #162
Print Wikipost

FAs Sleeping in First - Revenue Pax w/ Broken Seat Denied Seat Change? EZE-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
I have been following this thread with some interest because I personally believe that it (FAs occupying empty seats in first class) is unprofessional. With the information that FWAA provided in Post #82, isn't it also clear that the first class cabin is not available for crew rest? If true, then a complaint is warranted so that corrective actions can be put into place.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:44 am

I have seen this multiple times on flights to Brazil, most on the 763 Biz class. They go and occupy multiple seats on row 6. One time they actually changed my seat after boarding (the FAs did, not Gate Agent) from row 6 to row 5. When I boarded the flight, they had the trays out on all row 6 seats and they ended up sleeping there after meal service.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by skunker
Aren't the FA's names displayed on their badges? Not that hard to read them and remember the name.
There has to be some formula that states the worse the flight attendant is, the more likely it is that the badge is hidden.

I had a surly flight attendant on a recent JFK-MAD flight and the entire time she had her badge tucked away so her name couldn't be seen.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by ChiFlyer
There has to be some formula that states the worse the flight attendant is, the more likely it is that the badge is hidden.

I had a surly flight attendant on a recent JFK-MAD flight and the entire time she had her badge tucked away so her name couldn't be seen.
+1

Or maybe she had it tucked away, so it wouldn't get in the way when she was providing stellar service?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Unbelievable response. Do they even bother reading the emails or researching? The customer service is a joke. Here's what they wrote:

Dear Mr. Edgerfly:

Thank you so much for your comments. We always appreciate hearing our customers' perspective about any issue pertaining to our business, and we are glad you took the time to share yours.

We are contractually committed to furnish designated crew rest seats on long flights. To do so, the seat numbers must be identified in our SABRE Computer Reservations System and withheld from sale, and these particular seats can only be occupied by a crew member during flight.

Additionally, your traveling companion's comfort is important to us, and we are sorry the seat he was assigned on your flight was not up to standard. Since our records indicate there were 9 first class seats available, we hope in the future, he will feel free to move to any available seat once the seat belt sign has been turned off in flight.

Mr. Edferfly, it is a privilege to have your continued business. We'll look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Relations

American Airlines
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Unbelievable response. Do they even bother reading the emails or researching?
They seem to be claiming they did research and the results of that were that they found 9 seats available in 1st, in contradiction to your claim to the contrary.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
haha, i DESPISE emails like that because they are an apology without directly addressing any of the salient points i'm sure you detailed in your email.

previously i've followed up pointing that a canned response is not acceptable and have succeeded in obtaining further detail.

plus since you were there in person along w your colleague that means there should have only been five other people in the cabin with you if 9 seats were open.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I can assure everyone there were not 9 seats available. The cabin was full with what others have said were non-revs. This may have been done by the GA without printing out BPs. I have no idea. The bottom line is the issue was not addressed
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
We are contractually committed to furnish designated crew rest seats on long flights. To do so, the seat numbers must be identified in our SABRE Computer Reservations System and withheld from sale, and these particular seats can only be occupied by a crew member during flight.
Originally Posted by VSLover
haha, i DESPISE emails like that because they are an apology without directly addressing any of the salient points i'm sure you detailed in your email.
I don't even rate it an apology. It's a total deception. What they said is technically, true, -- AA is contractually required to provide crew rest seats. And the specific seats are identified in the collective bargaining agreement with APFA. Note that AA did not identify which seats the contract specifies. As I said upthread, I'm willing to bet a fair amount that those seats are not Flagship Suites. That's the problem. I'd be half inclined to respond to AA's response.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Unbelievable response. Do they even bother reading the emails or researching? The customer service is a joke. Here's what they wrote:

Dear Mr. Edgerfly:

Thank you so much for your comments. We always appreciate hearing our customers' perspective about any issue pertaining to our business, and we are glad you took the time to share yours.

Additionally, your traveling companion's comfort is important to us, and we are sorry the seat he was assigned on your flight was not up to standard. Since our records indicate there were 9 first class seats available, we hope in the future, he will feel free to move to any available seat once the seat belt sign has been turned off in flight.

Mr. Edferfly, it is a privilege to have your continued business. We'll look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Relations

American Airlines
If it were me, I would escalate it. This is ... pasture pancakes!

AA
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP should escalate. The response strikes me as a case of the person answering the email trying to protect the unknown employees who behaved badly on the flight out of principle.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Definitely escalate this to VP Inflight. Totally gross response.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP should escalate. The response strikes me as a case of the person answering the email trying to protect the unknown employees who behaved badly on the flight out of principle.
I think it's more of an example of just poor response and lack of ability to do much more with the situation. NOT TO SAY I think the reply is acceptable in ANY way, but I don't think that this person is trying to protect anyone else in this extremely large and diverse organization.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: US,HH
I had a similar response to a similar situation. SJU-DFW the FA disappeared after clearing lunch. Afer an 1 1/2 + with no service I went forward and she was sleeping on the jumpseat with a blanket over her.

The response from AA:

Thank you for contacting us. Our goal for every employee is to provide friendly, courteous service. However, flight attendants have an especially crucial role in achieving that goal because they spend more time with you than any of our other employees.
Your correspondence indicates we did not do a very good job providing you with friendly service during your flight to Dallas/Fort Worth. We take these matters very seriously. By contacting us, you've given us the chance to improve -- thank you. We will do our best not to disappoint you again.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

How do I escalate this? What's Doug Parker's email?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.