Wiki Posts
Search

8 or 16 VIPOW's for a newly minted EXP?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2003, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA/UA/BA
8 or 16 VIPOW's for a newly minted EXP?

I just called the AAdvantage desk in Dublin and they said that they'll send my EXP package in February for the new membership year, with 8 VIPOW's. That's not right though, is it? I qualified in December 2002.

I thought they send 8 when you qualify, then 8 more in February/March, at the beginning of the new membership year?

That's what I understood from previous discussion on FlyerTalk and also from searching in the AA forum.

Have I totally misunderstood something then?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 14, 2003, 3:52 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
For members who qualify in December, AA has applied this inconsistently. Some years, one does receive 8 VIPs, some not.

However, this year, new EXPs in the US who have qualified in December have already reported receiving the 8 VIPs and they have every expectation of receiving another 8 in February.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 6:24 am

Definitely some confusion here. I qualified for EXP first time on Dec 9th and as of yesterday, still had not received my welcome kit and VIPOWs so called the EXP desk and was told that people who qualified "towards the end of the year" would not receive any welcome or VIPOWs until late Feb. When I questioned this, and explained that I needed the VIPOWs for a trip in early Feb, she consulted somebody else and confirmed her answer and told me I would have to use miles for the trip in Feb.
Not happy at that answer, so I called again and the next agent also gave me that answer. When I read to her the text on AA.com that says "You will receive eight one-way upgrade certificates upon initial qualification for Executive Platinum membership" she consulted somebody else and then came back and said that yes, I should receive the VIPOWs 4-6 weeks after initial qualification, and I should expect them any day in the mail.
I did not push the issue by asking if I would get another set in Feb!
Has anybody who qualified first time for EXP in December, received their welcome and VIPOWs?
Old Jan 14, 2003, 6:43 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
For what it is worth, I made EXP for the first time around the start of November (I don't remember exactly when). I was also flipping out because of a need for all eight VIPOWS already made for late December...and for some reason I didn't want to drop 200K unless I absolutely needed to.

When I called AA, I also got inconsistent answers on this subject. The story does have a happy ending, because I did receive all of my 2002 'stuff' at then end of November.

Good luck...
Old Jan 14, 2003, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NDFan:
Has anybody who qualified first time for EXP in December, received their welcome and VIPOWs?</font>
One new EXP, who reported that he met the qualifications for the first time on December 24, received the welcome kit last week.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 6:54 am
Suspended

Friend of mine (and new, as-yet-to-post member here on FT)-- with my constant harassment-- qualified on Dec 25 or 26 2003. He Received e-mail assurance that he would get his 8 VIPOws for 2003 and 2002 and 2003 and did in fact receive 2002 EXP package, including 8 VIPows, yesterday.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA/UA/BA
Well, I've had 3 different answers on this subject today too. I'm currently on the phone to the EXP desk in Dallas.....

...and they said...

"They go out at the end of January automatically, every year. It's been that way since the beginning of Executive Platinum".

Of course, then I fired-up my FT knowledge and mentioned that several other EXP's who qualified in the latter part of 2002 (Nov/Dec) received their kits complete with VIPOW's already.

The agent sounded surprised and has gone elsewhere to check. I'm on hold again....!

..Okay, after checking with AAdvantage Customer Service, I'm told that "the VIPOW's go out with the card and luggage tags, 4-6 weeks after qualifying".

Right, so tell me something I didn't know?

I'm banging my head on the wall now with this one...can anyone please help?

PS-Like the 'live' posting?
Old Jan 14, 2003, 7:40 am

I'm in the boat where they told me I would not get them until Feb when I qualified in the beginning of Nov. I wrote the following e-mail and got the following response.
Hello,
I'm writing concerning my recent qualification of Executive Platinum.
From my understanding from your web site I "will receive eight one-way
upgrade certificates upon initial qualification for Executive Platinum
membership and once a year thereafter, as long as you maintain your
Executive Platinum status." I have yet to receive these. The only
thing I received was an EXP card. Is there no welcome kit like the one
I received when I qualified for Platinum that included a welcome letter,
bag tags and a Platinum guide book? My understanding is that I will receive a kit that usually arrives 4-6
weeks after qualifying. It has been 2 months. Thank you very
much in advance for the info concerning my e-mail.
ericvi

Response:
Hello ericvi,

Thank you for visiting the American Airlines Web site and for your
recent e-mail to AAdvantage Customer Service. I appreciate the
opportunity to assist you.

I apologize for any inconvenience. You should receive your credentials
by mid February 2003.

Again, thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond. I look
forward to assisting you again in the future.

Regards,
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines

Not much help.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 7:55 am
Community Director Emerita

I am a freshly minted Executive Platinum. It's possible I'm even the person of whom bollar speaks! My qualifying flight was on December 20; it posted to the AA website on December 24. I received my black box with luggage tags, card, and vipows last Friday. They were sent by FedEx. The vipows expire Dec 2003. I certainly expect to receive another set when all Executive Platinums receive them this year.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 8:07 am

Programs: AA, Hilton, Thrifty, National, Marriott
I also am relatively new to EXP (Dec 29 flight, posted Jan 2) and would love it if I got the 8+8 that seems to be expected. Question: Do the VIPOW's always have a Dec expiration date, or are they based on Program year (Feb 28 expiration)? I'm just curious if I will end up with 16 VIPOW's with a Dec 2003 exp. or some other combination.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 8:51 am

This is my first post here. I am the "friend" that Jon speaks of and I actually qualified as a new Exec Plat on Dec. 22nd. I got my VIPOW's and my welcome kit yesterday for 2002.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 9:14 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MrNY:
This is my first post here. I am the "friend" that Jon speaks of and I actually qualified as a new Exec Plat on Dec. 22nd. I got my VIPOW's and my welcome kit yesterday for 2002.</font>
Welcome to FT, MrNY, and welcome to EXP!

If you still have the e-mail from AAdvantage confirming the "8 VIPows every year one is EXP" thing, maybe you could post it (minus the name of the aagent who signed it.) Only if you still have it, of course. Again, welcome!
Old Jan 14, 2003, 9:58 am
cxn

I was thinking about starting a thread on when cards were showing up.

Qual: 12/01
EXP Kit: Not yet

Others could post.

Christian
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:30 am

I made EXP on Nov 12th, received black box w/VIPOW's on Dec 16th.

My wife made EXP on Dec 8th, received black box w/VIPOW's on Jan 6th.

[This message has been edited by jmoreita (edited 01-14-2003).]
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:59 am

Location: Los Angeles, xTWA Elite 1 and AA PLT, now AA EXP 3MM, Hilton Diamond
The other year I qualified for EXP on December 27th. At the end of January I received 8 VIPOW's and at the end of February I received another 8 VIPOW's. This has been AA's policy and it hasn't changed as far as I know. So within 4-6 weeks of qualification you should receive 8 VIPOW's and then at the end of February you will receive another 8.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.