Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8 or 16 VIPOW's for a newly minted EXP?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2003, 2:08 am

Programs: OWEm (lifetime OWSapph x2), lifetime *G
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wannagotoo:
FWIW, spouse qualified a few years back and got to the 1MM mark on the same flight. It totally confused the computer and it took MANY phone calls and a very intelligent ExPlat desk agent to straighten things out. It took about 2 months to get the "kit."</font>
2 months? Wow, she did a good job, mine took only four months, and of course with VIPOWs expiring in 8 months.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA/UA/BA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
You earned your status through the current year [i.e. 2002] and there are only two or three months left in the current benefit year. This does not entitle you to the same bounty as others get for a prior year of travelling, plus a similar package of VIPOWs two months later for that very same travel.
</font>
AA clearly state (on aa.com) that you receive 8 VIPOW's upon qualifying, then 8 more at the beginning of the new membership year. It doesn't matter when you qualify, you've made the status and you deserve the rewards regardless.

If AA are going to modify their policy, then they need to do so publicly on their website.

I want my bounty, just like every other EXP!
Old Jan 15, 2003, 2:54 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
"
Why should you be entitled to 16 VIPOWs for earning 100K in 2002, .
</font>
just out of curiosity, when you got 16 you first year what did you do with the secon set of eight, send them back?
Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:36 am
Suspended

Please, enough already.

It's been established-- and someone else here put it best; "you get 8 VIPows for every year that you are EXP" Those who qualify in 2002-- even very, very, very late in 2002-- will receive 8 VIPows for 2002 (that may arrive in early 2003 simply because of production/mailing time)) and then, in addition, 8 VIPows for 2003. This is the way it is.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:25 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonNYC:
Please, enough already.

It's been established-- and someone else here put it best; "you get 8 VIPows for every year that you are EXP" Those who qualify in 2002-- even very, very, very late in 2002-- will receive 8 VIPows for 2002 (that may arrive in early 2003 simply because of production/mailing time)) and then, in addition, 8 VIPows for 2003. This is the way it is.
</font>
Right! So, there's my answer. Thanks Jon!
Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:08 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777Brit:
Right! So, there's my answer. Thanks Jon! </font>
Sure thing-- and here is a little support in written form:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Original [question] Follows:
------------------------
---Message Comments---
Dear AA, I just reached ExPlat after flying over xx,000 miles this
month alone. My understanding is that I will get 8 VIPOW's this year
for 2002 and an additional 8 for 2003. Is that correct? And when can I
expect to get my new card and tags? Thanks American, keep up the good
work. Regards, from a loyal business traveler, xxxx

[follow up] Message [from new EXP] Follows:
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2002
------------------------
Dear [Aadvantage rep]

Thank you for your quick response to me.

Just to clarify as I had indicated in my message to you I have just
attained Executive Platinum status.

My question to you was regarding the VIPOW's which Executive Platinum
members are to receive 8 for each year that they have Executive status.

So, can I assume that you meant I would be getting 8 VIPOW's in each of
the "packets" that you referred to?

[the reply from AAdvantage]

Dear Mr. xxx,

In answer to your question is yes, Executive Platinum members receive 8
system wide VIPOW upgrades each time they qualify for this level. Since
you recently qualified your packet will include the upgrades. In
February of 2003, the system should send you out another packet with
another set of upgrades.Happy Holidays!

Joe xxxxxxxxx
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines</font>
Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:33 am

8+8

http://www.aa.com/content/AAdvantage...Platinum.jhtml
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:10 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I'll say that I qualified in 2001 by combining by 55K on AA and 50K on TWA, though I finished flying on Dec. 4, 2001, I didn't see my black card until the first week on February, but I also received a week later the other 8 upgrades for 2002.

I have to say it makes going home every day sort of nerve racking waiting for the kit.

Patience folks, I know it sucks, but you'll get them.

lala
Old Jan 15, 2003, 5:57 pm

For all those (like me) who have recently received the run-around from AA regarding receiving their December-earned EXP package, I'd recommend calling the EXP desk, asking for EXP customer service, and them asking whoever answers the phone for a supervisor. No one lower than "supervisor" seems to have any idea what the AA policies really are. (If you read FlyerTalk you know twice as much as they do already). Otherwise you'll waste your entire afternoon explaining that 2002 qualification is different than 2003 qualification and that you are truly entitled to 16 VIPOWs, not just 8. The supervisors know the rules and can get some action -- good luck.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:31 pm

Location: Los Angeles, xTWA Elite 1 and AA PLT, now AA EXP 3MM, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mschaefer:
Otherwise you'll waste your entire afternoon explaining that 2002 qualification is different than 2003 qualification and that you are truly entitled to 16 VIPOWs, not just 8. The supervisors know the rules and can get some action -- good luck.</font>
If you qualified in 2002 you received 8+8 VIPOW's just as you will when you qualify in 2003 unless AA changes the program.

Old Jan 25, 2003, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Well, today, 27 days after qualifying, I received my EXP package in the little black box, sent via US air mail. (Not even priority!)

It contained - a welcome letter, EXP 2002 personalised member guide, 8 x VIPOW's (expiring 31 Jan 2004), my nice, new, shiny black EXP card (expiry 02/04) and two EXP luggage tags with two plastic strappy things.

I like it...it's under my pillow. My wife isn't happy about it...

[This message has been edited by 777Brit (edited 01-25-2003).]
Old Jan 25, 2003, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"It contained - a welcome letter, EXP 2002 personalised member guide, 8 x VIPOW's (expiring 31 Jan 2004), my nice, new, shiny black EXP card (expiry 02/94) and two EXP luggage tags with two plastic strappy things. "

Nice. Plus they gave you 91 years of EXP status too without even a $595 fee

Dave
Old Jan 25, 2003, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
Nice. Plus they gave you 91 years of EXP status too without even a $595 fee

Dave
</font>
It's a UK-only special...didn't you get it?

Typo has been duly corrected....

[This message has been edited by 777Brit (edited 01-25-2003).]
Old Jan 25, 2003, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777Brit:
Well, today, 27 days after qualifying, I received my EXP package in the little black box, sent via US air mail. (Not even priority!)

It contained - a welcome letter, EXP 2002 personalised member guide, 8 x VIPOW's (expiring 31 Jan 2004), my nice, new, shiny black EXP card (expiry 02/04) and two EXP luggage tags with two plastic strappy things.

I like it...it's under my pillow. My wife isn't happy about it...
</font>
Perhaps because she wanted a matching set of her own?
Old Jan 25, 2003, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Howdy,

I already posted this before - but seems appropriate to re-state in this thread.

I qualifed late in November for EXP and recived the black box 2day FedEx (left on my porch...if not for my wife would have sat there 4 days till I got back...)

Keep the faith,

Pakse

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.