Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Celebrity Sightings and Related - 2000-2012

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:31 am

Programs: AA LT Plat
Feb 23rd, ORD-MSP, John Kerry across the aisle from me. My seat mate took a picwith his cell phone, which I emailed to my husband from the plane. He had one assistant with him who sat in coach.

People mostly left him alone during the flight, towards the end there was a little flutter of adulation and asking for autographs.

He was vey courteous to everyone during deplaning.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:49 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by sonora
Feb 23rd, ORD-MSP, John Kerry across the aisle from me. My seat mate took a picwith his cell phone, which I emailed to my husband from the plane. He had one assistant with him who sat in coach.

People mostly left him alone during the flight, towards the end there was a little flutter of adulation and asking for autographs.

He was vey courteous to everyone during deplaning.
Were you sitting in coach or in biz? Big John, if flying on USGOV's dime, has to fly in coach. I ask because Alphonso Jackson, the HUD Secretary, was on my flight from DFW-Cabo along with his secret service (2), wife (1) and two others. They all flew in coach two rows ahead of me.

I feel sorry for Kerry. He loses to Bush in the elections, then has to fly on a MD80. Of course, he could have chosen NW and flown in a DC9!
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:08 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat & CK, SPG Plat, UA Exec Premier
Richard Simmons

In the FC Admiral's Club at LAX on 2/17...second time I have seen him there...with a large party of people...very nice to everyone...
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:45 am

He was in F, his assistant was in coach. I think he was doing a speech in MSP, maybe F was included in his speaker's deal. He was accompanied to the gate by AA people, maybe he got an OpUp!

He had no security or additional entourage that I could see.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
He was in F, his assistant was in coach. I think he was doing a speech in MSP, maybe F was included in his speaker's deal. He was accompanied to the gate by AA people, maybe he got an OpUp!

Maybe he upgraded himself (EXP, miles, or stickers).

Or maybe he actually paid for first out of his own pocket. Not like he can't afford it. His taste in Spousal Bank Accounts is impeccable.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Hilton Honors

Whoops! He is not allowed to accept a business class ticket as a public official (as if anyone is going to enforce the law). And I forget what the law is governing mileage upgrades for public officials. He may have gotten an OpUp or just paid for the ticket himself.

I have been on flights with various Congresspeople as well as the HUD secretary (who is wealthy, is from Texas, and probably has a ton of Aadvantage miles). I have never seen any of them in F. If nothing else, it draws fire. But at 6'whatever he is, coach would be extreme punishment for Mr. Heinz ... I mean Kerry.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by DrBeeper
Whoops! He is not allowed to accept a business class ticket as a public official (as if anyone is going to enforce the law). And I forget what the law is governing mileage upgrades for public officials. He may have gotten an OpUp or just paid for the ticket himself.

I have been on flights with various Congresspeople as well as the HUD secretary (who is wealthy, is from Texas, and probably has a ton of Aadvantage miles). I have never seen any of them in F. If nothing else, it draws fire. But at 6'whatever he is, coach would be extreme punishment for Mr. Heinz ... I mean Kerry.
To the best of my knowledge government employees can keep their miles. Im not a g employee but know some. I sometimes travel as a g contractor and have to do it in coach although I can and do usually either pay for the difference to first myself or upgrade. I believe that government employees are allowed to travel in business if the trip is over a certain length but Im not sure of that. This trip in question wouldnt have qualified anyway.

I certainly have seen senators in first on both Amtrak and the shuttle.

As far as Kerry, I believe he was rather well off by birth and as pointed out, married an extremely wealthy person. I cant imagine him in coach as a result of that kind of financial situation.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:03 pm

He certainly is tall! I was next to him in the aisle during deplaning and it was a long way up from my 5'3"!

I was kind of surprised he didn't have security with him.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
As far as Kerry, I believe he was rather well off by birth and as pointed out, married an extremely wealthy person. I cant imagine him in coach as a result of that kind of financial situation.
Actually, IIRC, he married two extremely wealthy women - the first was worth about $200 million, and Te-Ray-Za is worth about $700 million. I remember reading that he did OK in the divorce from #1. Let's just say that the decision to pay for his own First Class ticket is not as weighty a financial decision for him as the decision on whether to Supersize those fries is for any of the rest of us.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:09 pm

Anderson Cooper, on the MSY-DFW I just flew. (At present, I'm in the DFW A Admiral's Club, getting ready for the first FLY3 RT of the six I'm planning to do.)

I grabbed the last F upgrade again. I told him to be careful the next time he was in the Middle East, to which he said thanks.

Much better, IMO, than asking him, "What happened to the first winner of The Mole?", as I originally wanted to. LOL
Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, National Executive
Today in F Class from LAX to DFW was sitting Hot Lips Houlihan from Mash. Umm, she didn't look so good.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
You might be right about Loretta Swit, but she is 68.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Originally Posted by SteveChicago
You may have a good point there, but in my defence (I guess that I should say "defense" as this is the AA board ) I am British and live in London, where we don't get OC....whatever that is, although I'm guessing it's a movie or TV show. It seems that popular culture is passing me by, which is pretty sad for a 31 year old! Oh well, what can you do?!?!

Steve
'The OC' is a teen angst 'drama' on Fox - you ain't missing much. I'll go out on a limb and say no one will be putting its DVDs in a Time Capsule any time soon...

Now if you didn't know who Anna Kournikova was, I'd immediately ask you to turn in your Man Card. :-)
Old Mar 4, 2006, 3:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Originally Posted by chuck till
You might be right about Loretta Swit, but she is 68.
From the movie MASH or the TV show? Sally Kellerman was the movie actress. And she is probably older than Loretta Swit.

But c'mon, how many people at 68 look like they do at 30?
Old Mar 4, 2006, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
To the best of my knowledge government employees can keep their miles.
I certainly have seen senators in first on both Amtrak and the shuttle.

Additionally, members of Congress, contrary to popular belief, generally fly on either their own dime or using campaign funds, not taxpayer dollars as a result of their offices. Of course, if he was going to make a speech as a paid speaker, the ticket might have been provided as previously mentioned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.