Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2014 AA Domestic Meals - menus / menu, photos, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MrAndy1369
As AA and US have now harmonized domestic (including Mexico/Caribbean/Canada/Hawaii/Alaska) meals, please continue the discussion here:

Meals changes US & AA announced - international and domestic
(for a broader discussion of the changes)
Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated) (for specific experiences and questions)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2014 AA Domestic Meals - menus / menu, photos, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Interesting development...

AA just changed the BOS-LAX 8:40PM flight from the dreaded "Refreshment" (post 9/1) to a full dinner. The pre-order menu lists 2 dinner choices as well. The interesting thing is that this flight is actually listed as only a "Snack" flight pre-9/1, but a full dinner post-9/1. An enhancement!

I hope this is not an error as this is currently the ONLY domestic flight that gets a full dinner after 8PM. Even MIA/JFK-LAX at 8:15 only gets a snack post 9/1.
I don't think its an error. I'm on MIA-SAN in early Sept which departs at 8:05pm, and I'm able to choose an entree from 2 choices. I was also told in an email from customer relations (when I complained about the meal window changes and asked for clarification as to what would be served on my flights) that this would be a full dinner flight, for what that's worth. I guess we'll see when I'm on board.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by golfingboy
That was on a UA Express flight. Completely different even if both were operated by Skywest.

My understanding is that Dougie Express flights get no meal currently. On October 1, they will start getting a "meal" in a box. Eagle flights will switch to "meals" in boxes on October 1 as well.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by SANbound
I don't think its an error. I'm on MIA-SAN in early Sept which departs at 8:05pm, and I'm able to choose an entree from 2 choices. I was also told in an email from customer relations (when I complained about the meal window changes and asked for clarification as to what would be served on my flights) that this would be a full dinner flight, for what that's worth. I guess we'll see when I'm on board.
That's great! Although 8:05 is a lot closer to the 8:00 cut off than 8:40, but it does look like west bound late evening flights will be getting full dinners except MIA/JFK-LAX/SFO, which is ironic since these are supposed to be the premium routes
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
That's great! Although 8:05 is a lot closer to the 8:00 cut off than 8:40, but it does look like west bound late evening flights will be getting full dinners except MIA/JFK-LAX/SFO, which is ironic since these are supposed to be the premium routes
I have to believe this will change, although who knows what else will come with such a change ...

MIA-SF seems to have shifted its third flight to 6:45 for the foreseeable future, but it ran past 8pm for quite some time and it was a pain to have it as a non-Dinner flight, you'd connect to it from the caribbean or something, too late for the early flight in mid-afternoon, wait at the airport for up to a couple of hours only to not be able to have dinner on board. It was more than a bit annoying. Here's hoping ...
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:36 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by TXguy
That was on a UA Express flight. Completely different even if both were operated by Skywest.

My understanding is that Dougie Express flights get no meal currently. On October 1, they will start getting a "meal" in a box. Eagle flights will switch to "meals" in boxes on October 1 as well.
The OP stated UX F so I assumed the OP was asking about United Express.

As for the AA express flights, my understanding is the same as yours.

Last edited by golfingboy; Aug 25, 2014 at 11:16 am
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
But the new "snack" menu on the premium trans-con does include full dinner options now, and has since around April/May.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by MAH4546
But the new "snack" menu on the premium trans-con does include full dinner options now, and has since around April/May.
Transcon snack ≠ full dinner, irregardless of whether of not an entree choice is the same as a full dinner option. A snack does not have an appetizer nor the side salad, nor does it include the ice cream sundae. A snack is, by definition, inferior than a full dinner. A transcon snack is an abbreviated meal service served all on one tray. Some of us like to have a full service full dinner served course by course.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by golfingboy
The OP stated UX F so I assumed the OP was asking about United Express.

As for the AA express flights, my understanding is the same as yours.
Actually, Skywest doesn't fly for US Airways Express. I don't know why I didn't pick up on that. The flights that poster was referring to are operated by Mesa.

The poster was talking about US Airways Express as this is the AA forum and he called it "Dougie Express." "AA Express" doesn't exist; it's called American Eagle.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Correct, I was talking about US Airways Express flights. Not Skywest. I incorrectly assumed "UX" would be interpreted the way I meant it to be (which is as US Airways Express), not literally. My bad though as I should know better. More specifically wondering what would be served on Mesa Airlines CR9 F class during a meal window. Actually I'm wondering do I even want to know in advance - or should I just stop at a high school cafeteria on my way to the airport.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Transcon snack ≠ full dinner, irregardless of whether of not an entree choice is the same as a full dinner option. A snack does not have an appetizer nor the side salad, nor does it include the ice cream sundae. A snack is, by definition, inferior than a full dinner. A transcon snack is an abbreviated meal service served all on one tray. Some of us like to have a full service full dinner served course by course.
The mini tub of ice cream is kind of a giveaway here ...
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:07 pm

Regardless of whether it was part of a "snack" or a "dinner", I have to give credit where credit is due and say that the red curry sweet potato bisque on AA 18 in F last night was absolutely excellent; probably the best single item I've ever had on an AA flight. The balance of spices was perfect and they actually even weren't afraid to add a little heat. Reminded me of the famous pumpkin curry at Thai X-ing here in DC. Well done.

Though if it was offered as such I gladly would have taken it as part of a course-by-course dinner with a real sundae!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Not to go off topic, but its funny how much more I appreciate a real sundae in the air.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
MIA-DEN
Boeing 737-800 w/ Sky Interior
Lunch

Service on this flight was overall very good from the lead FA.

PDB of water or OJ.
Pre-order acknowledged before takeoff!

Once in the air, hot towel, followed by drink of of choice and warm mixed nuts.

Choices today were the cajun shrimp w/ grits or the chicken and beet salad. I've had both before, and both are good. Today, I opted for the shrimp, which consisted of:

-Mixed vegetables
-3 warm large shrimp
-Cheese grits

Mixed greens with one olive and one tomato slice, served with "Naturally Fresh" balsamic vinaigrette dressing from a tub a la PMUA(how come not added by FA ?) was also on the tray.

Choice of breads w/ butter packet on tray: pretzel roll or mediterranean roll.

Wine choice as described by the FA: "Chardonnay or a Spanish red." I chose the red...and was not disappointed.

Warm cookies served after meal. Choice of white chocolate chip...or black chocolate chip...um, okay.

Drink re-fills were constant throughout the flight.

Mints served prior to landing.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Here are the options for my upcoming ORD-RDU (first time flying this on a 738 - has always been an S80) and RDU-DFW (also a 738 ^)

ORD-RDU

Chicken Curry Wrap
Accompanied by a chilled couscous salad

Grilled Beef
Served chilled over salad

RDU-DFW

Chicken and Pear Salad
Accompanied by roasted beets, goat cheese and balsamic vinaigrette

Cajun Shrimp
Served with cheese grits and southern succotash

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Mixed greens with one olive and one tomato slice, served with "Naturally Fresh" balsamic vinaigrette dressing from a tub a la PMUA(how come not added by FA ?) was also on the tray.
I prefer having my own container of salad dressing. Ensures you don't get too little or too much when the FA is serving the dressing.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
American Transcon Dinner Entree Question

Hello all,

I will be on AA 19 JFK-SFO and one of the dinner entrees is Chicken stuffed with Spinach and Cheese. Does anyone know if this is filet or on the bone?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.