Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: USA AMEX Platinum Members Lose Admirals /US Airways Club Access 22 Mar 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you usually access the Admirals Club now?
I am a regular Admirals Club member
13.87%
I am a CitiBank AAdvantage Executive card member
6.34%
AMEX Platinum or Centurion card
65.26%
oneworld (AA etc.) status or class of service for eligible flights
10.17%
Occasional pass / 30 day membership as needed
4.36%
Voters: 757. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can edit this post to update or correct, as well as minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post.

For renewing Admirals Club members, the annual fees are:
EXP / EP / Executive Platinum: $350 or 45,000 miles
PLT / Platinum: $400 or 55,000 miles
GLD / Gold: $425 or 60,000 miles
No Status- $450 or 70,000 miles
For those who are purchasing membership the first time, add $50 or 10,000 miles.

Alternatives include a 30 day membership ($99, full membership privileges, thirty continuous days, no guests) and a one day Pass ($50, no guests, use all day at all / any Clubs possible). See here.

Another is the CitiBank AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard, $450 annual fee, including Admirals Club membership and other benefits, such as 2 miles per dollar spend on AA, one free bag, etc. see here.

oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members still have access when eligible for access in accordance with oneworld lounge access rules.
Print Wikipost

Archive: USA AMEX Platinum Members Lose Admirals /US Airways Club Access 22 Mar 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Wonder why they decided to pull this benefit. It seems like a huge thumbs down in my book.

Like other posters have mentioned, what happens after Dec. 31, 2014?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:38 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
well the $500 softens the blow, and since it's on top of the $200 airline credit, I'll definitely stick with the card.
If they weren't offering the $500, I would likely cancel.
Originally Posted by jhalapin
I worry about subsequent years.....
Oh, I'm quite sure that this is a one-time deal for those who have already renewed. I joined Amex PLT less than a year ago. Since this was announced now, and will be known before my renewal, my guess is that I'll get no credit. I should have access for just about a year from when I joined (through next March), so my renewal will be based on knowing that this perk no longer exists.

It seems (from above) that the one-time bonus is prorated, likely based on how much screwage time people have.

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
While I'm sure the merger played into this decision, you can't blame this on the combined AA/US giving you a reduced service. This is AMEX giving you reduced service.
No it's not. This is AA/US pulling this perk from Amex. I really don't consider it a bit deal, but don't confuse this as am Amex thing. This is the airlines pulling the plug.

Cheers.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Wow the merger is not even closed yet! A big screw you to the justice department; from their August 13 release-

Justice Department Files Antitrust Lawsuit Challenging Proposed Merger Between US Airways and American Airlines

Merger Would Result in U.S. Consumers Paying Higher Airfares and Receiving Less Service; Lawsuit Seeks to Maintain Competition in the Airline Industry
Are you kidding me? This was a perk that AA/US was selling to AMEX, not a perk to the general public. AA made the decision they would rather sell day passes or AC memberships. As a AC member, I for one am VERY HAPPY about this move. I'd guess 25% of the people I see in line checking in are PLT AMEX members. Sure some of them will buy AC memberships, but I'm sure a fair number are not hardcore AA travelers and use the access to lots of airline clubs.

Less people in the clubs, especially places like PHL and LAX which can be downright uncomfortable at times is welcome by me.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
While I'm sure the merger played into this decision, you can't blame this on the combined AA/US giving you a reduced service. This is AMEX giving you reduced service.
I disagree.

AMEX knows this is a very valuable benefit and likely fought to keep it.

I am wondering if AA/US will have their own branded CC with that as a perk (like United)?

It was nice just having to buy the United Club and getting almost everyone else for the cost of the Plat card.

I wonder if my United Club Card will retain it's reciprocity with US?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by littlemookie
Is everyone's email saying $500 credit? Mine only says $200.

Special Offer: Up to $200 in Statement Credits

We recognize the inconvenience this may cause you as someone who travels frequently, so we have included you in a special offer. You will receive up to $200 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014.1 You can use these credits toward:

• Membership fees in the Admirals Club program and US Airways Club
• One-day passes to Admirals Club lounges and US Airways Clubs
• Other American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees likebaggage fees or flight change fees
+1

Only $200 here...
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
I am wondering if AA/US will have their own branded CC with that as a perk (like United)?
The current CITI Executive World Mastercard with the $450 fee includes AC membership. Not sure what future card offerings may include.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Citi Executive

I'm somewhat disappointed as I hate Citi with the raging fury of a thousand dying suns, and Amex has always treated me well.

I'll probably cancel Amex plat, keep SPG Amex for everything, and pony up for an AC membership next time they send me a decent discount code.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by littlemookie
Is everyone's email saying $500 credit? Mine only says $200.

Special Offer: Up to $200 in Statement Credits

We recognize the inconvenience this may cause you as someone who travels frequently, so we have included you in a special offer. You will receive up to $200 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014.1 You can use these credits toward:

• Membership fees in the Admirals Club program and US Airways Club
• One-day passes to Admirals Club lounges and US Airways Clubs
• Other American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees likebaggage fees or flight change fees
Mine says $500. I have the Mercedes Benz AMEX Plat which has a slightly higher annual fee $475 vs $450, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by AA2070
We recognize the inconvenience this may cause you as someone who travels frequently, so we have included you in a special offer. You will receive up to $500 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014.
This may work to my AAdvantage.

My Platinum Card renews in April....

Last edited by jhalapin; Dec 4, 2013 at 10:00 am
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
No, it's Amex and AA/US failing to agree on a price for access. Had they been able to agree on such a price, I'm sure the benefit would still be in place. It's like cable carriers and networks blaming each other for certain channels being cut off when they fail to reach a pricing agreement.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by brp
No it's not. This is AA/US pulling this perk from Amex. I really don't consider it a bit deal, but don't confuse this as am Amex thing. This is the airlines pulling the plug.
I doubt AA/US "pulled the perk". It is much more likely that they just increased the charges to Amex such that Amex decided it was no longer a good business decision to include the access. Does anyone know what the pricing model was, as in a charge to Amex per visit or a small annual payment to AA per card holder? If it's the latter then AA/US could easily justify a price hike based on the fact that more clubs would be available going forward.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:53 am

I'm glad this is happening. The clubs are so crowded these days. I wish this would happen to DL as well.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
I haven't received an email yet (plat card holder for 3 years). I'm getting a little concerned
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Good news, indeed. Anything to cull the herd is positive.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
still no email, but will be cancelling my Plat card once I milk those extra bucks..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.