Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: USA AMEX Platinum Members Lose Admirals /US Airways Club Access 22 Mar 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you usually access the Admirals Club now?
I am a regular Admirals Club member
13.87%
I am a CitiBank AAdvantage Executive card member
6.34%
AMEX Platinum or Centurion card
65.26%
oneworld (AA etc.) status or class of service for eligible flights
10.17%
Occasional pass / 30 day membership as needed
4.36%
Voters: 757. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can edit this post to update or correct, as well as minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post.

For renewing Admirals Club members, the annual fees are:
EXP / EP / Executive Platinum: $350 or 45,000 miles
PLT / Platinum: $400 or 55,000 miles
GLD / Gold: $425 or 60,000 miles
No Status- $450 or 70,000 miles
For those who are purchasing membership the first time, add $50 or 10,000 miles.

Alternatives include a 30 day membership ($99, full membership privileges, thirty continuous days, no guests) and a one day Pass ($50, no guests, use all day at all / any Clubs possible). See here.

Another is the CitiBank AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard, $450 annual fee, including Admirals Club membership and other benefits, such as 2 miles per dollar spend on AA, one free bag, etc. see here.

oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members still have access when eligible for access in accordance with oneworld lounge access rules.
Print Wikipost

Archive: USA AMEX Platinum Members Lose Admirals /US Airways Club Access 22 Mar 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:57 am

just got the amex plat within the past few months for the first time and have received no notice that the perk will end. wonder if i'll get to use it for my full year or if i'll lose it in march even though I've had no notice?

I won't be renewing the amex, just joined it to get a promo 100,000 points and admirals club access + 200 fee credits. sucks, but there are other options, i'm not particularly loyal to amex
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I haven't received an email yet (plat card holder for 3 years). I'm getting a little concerned
I haven't rec'd it either.

I'd actually pay the fee to join the AC *IF* they would reduce the spouse/partner membership fee AND simply make it a second person. I got my Mom a platinum card on my acct. so she could access the ACs.

As for the other AMEX PLT benefits: as an elite, bag fees, etc... don't matter to me anyway but I do really like the Centurion lounge.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
+1

Only $200 here...
+1, only $200 as well.

This is frustrating, as it was a key benefit that reinforced both keeping the AMEX and sticking with AA. It makes me apprehensive about additional changes coming.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:02 am

Damn, that is one of the primary reasons I have the platinum card. I'm going to be canceling come renewal time.

No email here yet.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Received nothing so far. Been a member for a couple years (with 4 cards on the account) and use the card for most of my regular spend & the AC/US clubs often (100+ times a year). This is a major benefit-pull. Definitely re-thinking my Amex strategy.

I do really like the Cent. club in DFW, but I'm LAX based & there's no replacing the help the AAngels at the AC when you have ticketing issues.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
I haven't received an email yet. This year I barely used the Platinum card for anything else but AC access. No chance I'll renew it without a generous (as in $500) statement credit.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Perhaps its a side effect of AA cozying up to Citi (e.g. Citi demanding to be the sole lounge-access credit card partner)... same way UA is with Chase, and DL with Amex.

On a side note, a popular boarding area blog reports that Amex will open its own Centurion lounges at LGA and SFO (LGA being outside security, no idea where)

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/12/amex...r-lga-and-sfo/
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by wolf539
Good news for those who pay for their AC memberships...
^^^

I'm quite happy about this as well. Only downside is that my additional Platinum cardholders will no longer have AC access. Take the good with the bad
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Thank you OP for posting this news. I was an AMEX Plat member for 23 hours. My AC membership was due to expire soon and I thought the AMEX card would have been a value to me. 98% of my flying is OW so I canceled my card before being billed the annual fee. Phew!! Thanks again!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:20 am
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
For those considering cancelling their AX cards ... keep in mind that you can downgrade to a Gold card and they will refund the annual difference (prorated). I've upgraded, downgraded, and upgraded again during the last decade based on changing benefits.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Perhaps its a side effect of AA cozying up to Citi (e.g. Citi demanding to be the sole lounge-access credit card partner)... same way UA is with Chase, and DL with Amex.

On a side note, a popular boarding area blog reports that Amex will open its own Centurion lounges at LGA and SFO (LGA being outside security, no idea where)

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/12/amex...r-lga-and-sfo/
It would be really nice if we could transfer Citi Thank You Points to AAdvantage. That's the real benefit I'm interested in as a (very) long time Citi customer.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jhalapin
Question is...

Will the clubs merge by then so I only have to but a single membership rather than both?
I think we can reasonably expect that with the airlines merging, the frequent flier programs merging, etc. the lounges will merge (and become Admirals Clubs, given the branding direction).

It will be interesting to see what happens with Flagship Lounges - that's a debatable issue, IMO. Only three in US, LAX, ORD and JFK, MIA presumably coming (was it Mr. Estragon of AA who said so?) and others (DFW notably) closed, will AAUSHP keep 'em open, or perhaps knock out dividers at LAX and JFK and use the ORD one as a remote Clublet for international departures?

I think as to why this occurred, Upgraded! is correct. Nothing to do with USDoJ.

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Wow the merger is not even closed yet! A big screw you to the justice department; from their August 13 release-

Justice Department Files Antitrust Lawsuit Challenging Proposed Merger Between US Airways and American Airlines

Merger Would Result in U.S. Consumers Paying Higher Airfares and Receiving Less Service; Lawsuit Seeks to Maintain Competition in the Airline Industry
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
No, it's Amex and AA/US failing to agree on a price for access. Had they been able to agree on such a price, I'm sure the benefit would still be in place. It's like cable carriers and networks blaming each other for certain channels being cut off when they fail to reach a pricing agreement.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Wellington
It would be really nice if we could transfer Citi Thank You Points to AAdvantage. That's the real benefit I'm interested in as a (very) long time Citi customer.
Creating such an ability will devalue AAdvantage miles and force big devaluations e.g. Delta and United.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, VX Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by austinomnivore
+1, only $200 as well.

This is frustrating, as it was a key benefit that reinforced both keeping the AMEX and sticking with AA. It makes me apprehensive about additional changes coming.
Same here, only offered $200. "Regular" personal Platinum card. Asking Amex what gives with some people getting $500...
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Club Gold, HHonors Gold
No email for me yet. Curious what will be offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.