Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: USA AMEX Platinum Members Lose Admirals /US Airways Club Access 22 Mar 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you usually access the Admirals Club now?
I am a regular Admirals Club member
13.87%
I am a CitiBank AAdvantage Executive card member
6.34%
AMEX Platinum or Centurion card
65.26%
oneworld (AA etc.) status or class of service for eligible flights
10.17%
Occasional pass / 30 day membership as needed
4.36%
Voters: 757. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can edit this post to update or correct, as well as minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post.

For renewing Admirals Club members, the annual fees are:
EXP / EP / Executive Platinum: $350 or 45,000 miles
PLT / Platinum: $400 or 55,000 miles
GLD / Gold: $425 or 60,000 miles
No Status- $450 or 70,000 miles
For those who are purchasing membership the first time, add $50 or 10,000 miles.

Alternatives include a 30 day membership ($99, full membership privileges, thirty continuous days, no guests) and a one day Pass ($50, no guests, use all day at all / any Clubs possible). See here.

Another is the CitiBank AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard, $450 annual fee, including Admirals Club membership and other benefits, such as 2 miles per dollar spend on AA, one free bag, etc. see here.

oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members still have access when eligible for access in accordance with oneworld lounge access rules.
Print Wikipost

Archive: USA AMEX Platinum Members Lose Admirals /US Airways Club Access 22 Mar 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Exclamation Archive: USA AMEX Platinum Members Lose Admirals /US Airways Club Access 22 Mar 2014

We are writing to give you advance notice of changes to your travel benefits and to remind you about other valuable features of your Platinum Card.

As of March 22, 2014, Platinum Card Members will no longer receive complimentary access to American Airlines® Admirals Club lounges and US Airways® Club locations.
We recognize the inconvenience this may cause you as someone who travels frequently, so we have included you in a special offer. You will receive up to $500 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014. You can use these credits toward:

• Membership fees in the Admirals Club program and US Airways Club
• One-day passes to Admirals Club lounges and US Airways Clubs
• Other American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees like baggage fees or flight change fees

There's no enrollment required, and purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the Card account are eligible for the promotion. These statement credits are in addition to the $200 Airline Fee Credit benefit already included in your Membership.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Good news for those who pay for their AC memberships...
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:27 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the confirmation. We had read here in another thread that this seemed to be coming. Certainly reduces somewhat the value of the card for an AA flier, and means that I'll have to re-enlist with the AC. It still has Centurion Lounge access at DFW (and LAS), though

I wonder if the $500 will work for gift cards the way the $200 does

Cheers.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Question is...

Will the clubs merge by then so I only have to but a single membership rather than both?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Wow the merger is not even closed yet! A big screw you to the justice department; from their August 13 release-

Justice Department Files Antitrust Lawsuit Challenging Proposed Merger Between US Airways and American Airlines

Merger Would Result in U.S. Consumers Paying Higher Airfares and Receiving Less Service; Lawsuit Seeks to Maintain Competition in the Airline Industry

Wow... They probably don't expect to renew this feature or they wouldn't be giving such a fat credit. Probably they expect you to stay with the card thinking the $500 will cover your ac membership, and then next year they'll yank that too

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
On a positive note.....

Maybe they will put the door back up on the quiet room at CLT with far fewer folks now that the Plats don't have access any longer?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Just got the email. I was a bit sad when I heard about the news before Amex sent out this email about the $500. Now I'm
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
well the $500 softens the blow, and since it's on top of the $200 airline credit, I'll definitely stick with the card.
If they weren't offering the $500, I would likely cancel.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Is everyone's email saying $500 credit? Mine only says $200.

Special Offer: Up to $200 in Statement Credits

We recognize the inconvenience this may cause you as someone who travels frequently, so we have included you in a special offer. You will receive up to $200 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014.1 You can use these credits toward:

• Membership fees in the Admirals Club program and US Airways Club
• One-day passes to Admirals Club lounges and US Airways Clubs
• Other American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees likebaggage fees or flight change fees
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Well this sure sucks! So does that mean that DL is now the only club which will have the Amex deal?

I don't travel enough to justify an AC membership, but at the same time I travel enough that it was a big part of the justification for having Amex.

I haven't gotten an email about the $500 yet; the email I received a few minutes ago only references the $200 benefit already included. For those who did receive the email, did it come separately, or was it included in the initial email?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
well the $500 softens the blow, and since it's on top of the $200 airline credit, I'll definitely stick with the card.
If they weren't offering the $500, I would likely cancel.
I worry about subsequent years.....
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Wow the merger is not even closed yet! A big screw you to the justice department; from their August 13 release-

Justice Department Files Antitrust Lawsuit Challenging Proposed Merger Between US Airways and American Airlines

Merger Would Result in U.S. Consumers Paying Higher Airfares and Receiving Less Service; Lawsuit Seeks to Maintain Competition in the Airline Industry
While I'm sure the merger played into this decision, you can't blame this on the combined AA/US giving you a reduced service. This is AMEX giving you reduced service.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I expect this was a necessity since the (expected) reciprocal access between AA and US clubs will increase usage of both. Add in the AMEX holders and there could have been capacity issues.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by littlemookie
Is everyone's email saying $500 credit? Mine only says $200.
Mine has the credit, but I've swiped into the US Air club about a million times this year...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.