Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eBay auction: Envelope w/ 500,000 American Airlines Miles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2002, 6:12 pm

TechGirl: I have no problem letting AA police its own programs. But if someone decides to report any behaviour that they think crosses the line then I have a problem with it.

Where do you draw the line?

For the record, I have never bought or sold miles--I value them too much.

Old Mar 28, 2002, 6:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tango:
TechGirl: I have no problem letting AA police its own programs. But if someone decides to report any behaviour that they think crosses the line then I have a problem with it.

</font>
People bust others all the time on Ebay...people turn in others that are scalping concert tickets just like FF program items. Is it b/c they can't pay the prices so they'd rather nobody get them, or are they trying to protect a site like Ebay going away because they are tired of threats from big business...there was once an article on cnn about Sega sueing Ebay and Yahoo for selling copied Dreamcast games...was Ebay at fault? Judgement call, did people who found these auctions turn people in, yes.

I look at it as, if you can't sell the product in a store, you shouldn't try to sell it on an auction site...the reward doesn't seem worth the possible results to me...
Old Mar 28, 2002, 7:03 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tango:

</font>

You don't. AA does. Nothing to hide, nothing to worry about.
Old Mar 28, 2002, 7:05 pm

Sounds like a big scam to me!
Old Mar 28, 2002, 7:43 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Steve M:
I find this hard to believe. Why would he be selling a plain envelope for $6600 with 500,000 free miles inside if he didn't know that the sales of miles was wrong?</font>
Good point...I find it kind of hard to believe, too. I was just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. The guy is clearly 100% amateur. Some people honestly think that the envelope approach (whether it be full of FF miles, Masters tickets, a kilo of Grade-A marijuana, etc.) is cool, even though they know the "real" transaction isn't. Since we are not exactly dealing with the work of a Mensa candidate here, I was leaving the door open that he thinks he's completely on the up-and-up. Posting a screenprint of your statement, complete with date of last activity and summary date, isn't exactly Super Sneaky. He might as well throw his FF number in there while he's at it.
Old Mar 28, 2002, 8:13 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I just went to ebay and looked at this. It seems that the reserve was met or maybe I just don't get it.

So, who ever buys this envelope (better be a nice one at that) gets mr.millionmiler to book their travel? Bo howdy, mr. millionmiler is busy and will he ever get time to patiently wait on the phone with the EXP desk to find award avail for all the awards people want.

If something this insane was ever to get through AA's radar, the seller could give themselves a headache booking little awards for the buyer over time. Sort of like cashing 500 dollars of travellers checks, 10 dollars at a time.

lala

Old Mar 28, 2002, 8:39 pm

All the buyer would need to do would be to request the full 500K in award certificates. Then the whole process is acedemic since the buyer would be the one making the award reservations and taking the certificates into a ticket office to get the ticket(s).

Question: If someone was selling 500K in blank Eggo certificates on E-bay, would you turn that person in? and if you answer yes, under what grounds?
Old Mar 28, 2002, 8:59 pm

</font>
Tango, I am 100% with you on this one. If you didn't ask Plato, I would have.

Old Mar 29, 2002, 5:01 am

Programs: AA Plat 5M
I'd like to ask something I've always wondered about: Why exactly is it that the airlines don't want their miles bought and sold amongst the public? Why do they care?

RKDuke
Old Mar 29, 2002, 6:12 am

RKDuke - I posted this in MilesBuzz - Sorry about the cross post, but it answers your question:

American Airlines can cancel your account for "breech of the terms of the program". BUT you COULD argue you did not breech the program rules as you gave away the miles. In a criminal case, you would lose (due to the wording of the statues) but in a civil case (in some jurisdictions) you may get away it.

Any court would understand that when you give away a mileage award ticket, there is always some consideration to the transaction. For example I give away a lot of flights (as I earn millions of point a year - credit card spending). Now if I give a first class flight to a cousin of mine worth say $10,000, I can almost be assured of (but not expect) a great birthday or thank you present (worth maybe $2000). Now am I selling the miles? The distinction is academic.

An important thing to note however is that while the airlines have to be seen to not promoting the sale of points they are quite happy to see it go on in some cases.
The airlines value points internally and only offer seats on flights that they believe are profitable.

For example, if a credit card company (or any other company) pays an airline 1c per mile and the airline charges 20,000 points for a LAX - LAS reward seat. The airline will only release that seat to an award booking IF the expected revenue from that seat is less than $200. Now I just purchased a return LAX - LAS flight on United for $120.00, you will find that it is actually more profitable for the airline to release this seat to a FF than to sell it for revenue. At the end of the day, the airlines are trying to maximize the $ they can get from customers and therefore a customer using 180,000 miles (which internally is actually worth $1800 to the airline) for a First Class SYD - LAX flight (on a flight where they can say with 95% level of confidence that they will not sell the seat) is better for them then getting $800 in revenue for an economy seat on the same flight and awarding 15,000 miles (at an internal cost of $150).

As a result they don’t mind leisure travellers who would otherwise travel in economy using the points of others (even if they pay for them) as they can actually increase revenue from this activity BUT what they do mind is if a person who would pay $10,000 for a First Class seat SYD - LAX buys the miles from someone. Thus if they try to "outlaw" the process they can then turn a blind eye to the people selling tickets to "normally economy flyers" while discouraging the "normally first class" flyers from responding to ads in newspapers offering First Class for half price.

Airlines are starting to think like this and as note that people will pay “agents” 2.5c per mile, while the airline only values the miles @ 1c. Thus again in order to maximise revenue the airlines started selling points to the public at 2.5c each! Externally this seems quite hypocritical but it is all about maximising the revenue for the airline.

It all makes sense once you stop looking at points as a liability and start looking at them as a revenue source. Another tangent is with the bonus miles offered for flying. Currently if an airlines loads drop on a segment that normally costs $1000, they can offer the seats for $800 to increase loads OR they can offer 20,000 bonus miles, which is effectively like giving you a $200 voucher to use on future airline travel. If they offer the miles, they are assured at least that the $200 in future revenue will come to them and as an added bonus the consumer will value the 20,000 at the retail price of 2.5c per mile ($500) so that the promotion will have the effect of dropping the price to $500 (ie the competition will need to decrease prices to $500 in order to get the business). At the end of the day, airlines are smart and they know what they are doing.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Plat 5M
OzFLyer,
Thank yoo for your very informative post on the economics of FF miles. I never had any doubt as the fact the airlines know what they are doing. I just was curious as to the detailed specifics behind their policies. Your post makes it very clear that it is beneficial for the airlines to strive to make the award tickets available to some customers but not to others. Trying to limit the availability of one's product to a specific customer base is a tricky proposition in any business!

RKDuke
Old Mar 29, 2002, 7:05 am

This auction is Cleary fake. Look at the statement, this guy is an elite, look at his miles flown and he is a million miler, but when I sign on to my aadvantage statement, there is a little button that I have and he doesn't - The BUY Upgrade button on the bottom of the statement, only elites have that options.

Look, like this:

AAdvantage Upgrade Activity
Date Transaction Description Purchased Mlg Exch Earned Other Total
PREVIOUS UPGRADE BALANCE 0 0 0 0 0
CURRENT UPGRADE BALANCE 0 0 0 0 0

* May exclude flights, awards and other eligible transactions processed within the last two

AADVANTAGE HOME | REQUEST UPGRADE | CLAIM AWARD | BUY UPGRADE

Privacy | Legal Information | Browser Compatibility
Employment Opportunities | Customer Service Plan
Copyright 2002 American Airlines, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

[This message has been edited by proudcoelite (edited 03-29-2002).]
Old Mar 29, 2002, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the buyer would need to do would be to request the full 500K in award certificates. Then the whole process is acedemic since the buyer would be the one making the award reservations and taking the certificates into a ticket office to get the ticket(s).</font>
Don't you think it would be a little suspicious to request 500,000 miles worth of certificates at once?

Besides, wouldn't you have to use all of those up within a year? Otherwise the account holder would end up having to request the reinstatement, not the certificate holder.

You're also taking on a lot of risk that the seller might get caught by AA before you can use up all of your miles. If you're cashing in 4 120k mile certificates for one trip in the near future, you might be ok; but if it takes you a year to use up all the certs, there's a good likelihood that you or this guy will get busted before you get the chance to use everything up. (This is always the case with large miles purchases, it's not directly speaking to Tango's suggestion.)

d
Old Mar 29, 2002, 3:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by proudcoelite:
This auction is Cleary fake. Look at the statement, this guy is an elite, look at his miles flown and he is a million miler, but when I sign on to my aadvantage statement, there is a little button that I have and he doesn't - The BUY Upgrade button on the bottom of the statement, only elites have that options.</font>
Where is the line that says what his milage is towards upgrades? He should be earning these credits too. He has in the past (has 42 earned). If he has 30K+ miles YTD, he is currently Gold. Should have that line too. So, he has the miles to be Gold, according to the statement, but not the right statement for a Gold. Something doesn't line up.

Old Mar 29, 2002, 3:27 pm

Bingo

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AA since 85:
Where is the line that says what his milage is towards upgrades? He should be earning these credits too. He has in the past (has 42 earned). If he has 30K+ miles YTD, he is currently Gold. Should have that line too. So, he has the miles to be Gold, according to the statement, but not the right statement for a Gold. Something doesn't line up.

</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.