Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eBay auction: Envelope w/ 500,000 American Airlines Miles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2002, 3:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AA since 85:
Where is the line that says what his milage is towards upgrades? He should be earning these credits too. He has in the past (has 42 earned). If he has 30K+ miles YTD, he is currently Gold. Should have that line too. So, he has the miles to be Gold, according to the statement, but not the right statement for a Gold. Something doesn't line up.

</font>
The line for "Miles toward Gold/Plat Upgrades" is displayed only when there's something other than zero. In other words, that line does not show up when it is at zero.

On March 1, all odometers for "Miles toward Gold/Plat Upgrades" are reset to zero.

According to his alleged "account," the Summary Date is 3/18/2002, thus after the reset date. The Last Activity Date was February 6, 2002.

So s/he could have flown 38,438 miles within 37 days. It's possible. But that's a lot of flying in 5 weeks. At that rate, he would be triple Executive Platinum by the end of the year.

38,438 miles is about 4 round-trips from US to Europe.

[This message has been edited by francophile (edited 03-29-2002).]
Old Mar 29, 2002, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AA since 85:
Where is the line that says what his milage is towards upgrades? He should be earning these credits too. He has in the past (has 42 earned). If he has 30K+ miles YTD, he is currently Gold. Should have that line too. So, he has the miles to be Gold, according to the statement, but not the right statement for a Gold. Something doesn't line up.</font>
This is not evidence. I've already flown 52k miles, but I did it all before March 1st. When the miles-toward-upgrade counter reset on Feb. 28th, that line disappeared from my mileage summary.

That's consistent with how the last activity was Feb. 6th.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by onedog:
[B]This is easily the largest number of miles I have ever seen being auctioned.
</font>
Last summer someone was peddling 1,000,000 DL miles. Bidding went over $28,000 but the reserve was not met. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/003532.html
Old Mar 29, 2002, 8:32 pm

Looks like the same guy is also trying to sell some Northwest miles on Ebay. Using a different name, but the wording and style is identical.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1342040456
Old Mar 29, 2002, 8:39 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cndij:
Looks like the same guy is also trying to sell some Northwest miles on Ebay. Using a different name, but the wording and style is identical.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1342040456
</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Also, I travel a lot myself, so no rush jobs, please</font>
This verbiage appears on both ads-- so it's definitely, unequivocally the same guy-- using two different, brand spanking new, ebay IDs.

I would think this would would remove any doubt whatsoever that this is a scam. I think ebay should be alerted, someone's gonna' get very ripped off.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
eBay wants you to know that the following items have already been reported and are under investigation: 1340868041 </font>
[This message has been edited by JonNYC (edited 03-29-2002).]
Old Mar 29, 2002, 9:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rmccamy:
He probably doesn't even know Flyertalk exists, or else he would have read enough threads like this one to know not to post a freakin' screenprint of his account on Ebay. </font>
If you check the other thread about this
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/008607.html
you will see that I posted a reply from this guy talking about ways to "partner" up with him. He emailed me back within a few hours of posting "thanking" me for posting it. I probaly should not have done that but it does prove that he at least reads these boards.

Old Mar 29, 2002, 10:13 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by audio-nut:
...you will see that I posted a reply from this guy talking about ways to "partner" up with him. He emailed me back within a few hours of posting "thanking" me for posting it. I probaly should not have done that but it does prove that he at least reads these boards.
</font>
He was pleased with what you posted??? Wow! I would think he wouldn't want his ingenious scheme revealed to the world-- and the credit card companies. .

It sure is amazing the kinds of things this new-fangled interweb has wrought.

Old Mar 29, 2002, 10:19 pm

Actually he was not happy at all with me posting, but he wished me no harm.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonNYC:
This verbiage appears on both ads-- so it's definitely, unequivocally the same guy-- using two different, brand spanking new, ebay IDs.

I would think this would would remove any doubt whatsoever that this is a scam. I think ebay should be alerted, someone's gonna' get very ripped off.
</font>
Why do you guys insist on jumping to the conclusion that these are the same person and that it's just a scam? I agree that the airlines will probably catch these people and confiscate their miles and anyone would have to be stupid to bid and take that chance, but I've sold stuff on eBay before (never miles!) and it's clear to me that the 2nd auction was just cut and pasted from the 1st with the wording changed for the WorldPerks specific stuff. That's the simplest way to create a new auction description but you do lose the HTML formatting, which is what happened in the 2nd auction.

Btw, I've been reading FlyerTalk for some time now and wish to thank all of you for the great advice and information. Thanks to FlyerTalk I was able to go from ~700K lifetime AAdvantage miles to 1.5MM in less than a year and plan on 2MM by next year!
Old Mar 29, 2002, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Old Mar 29, 2002, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FT, jada.

1.5MM lifetime miles with AA from 700k in less than a year is certainly impressive.

Just goes to show you've really mastered your miles in 2001.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 10:46 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Plato90s:
you've really mastered your miles in 2001.</font>
Hahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaahh. Ooooo Man. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

AhhhhHahahahahahahahahahah. Tears in my eyes laughing.

Literally LOL, Plato!!!! You made my night! Fan-TAS-tic. !
Old Mar 29, 2002, 10:52 pm
Suspended

On second thought, Plato, I think we've all had about enough of your MileageMaster-baiting here.

Grow UP.
Old Mar 30, 2002, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tango:
TechGirl: I have no problem letting AA police its own programs. But if someone decides to report any behaviour that they think crosses the line then I have a problem with it.</font>
Hey, it's all part of the game. The seller knows what he's doing is against the rules, that's pretty obvious.

I say if he can break the rules and sell miles, others can turn him in.

I'd turn someone in for parking in a handicapped space or vandalizing property. This is the same thing; the airline's rules are the law of the FFer world. Anyone can try to break that law, anyone can turn people in.

I don't see how you can say it's OK for people to break the rules, but it's not OK for people to turn them in. If you can do one, you can do the other.

d
Old Mar 30, 2002, 6:03 am

Doppy: Please tell me where I said it was OK to break the rules?

Just becuase you think someone is breaking the rules does not give you the right to be a narc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.