Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ Check-in Time

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:00 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by texdoc
Took me 45-60 minutes at 6:30 am last month.
Took me 60 minutes from check-in to gate last week, and I shaved what would have been an extra ten minutes off by using my AMEX PLT card at security. The lion's share of the wait is at Customs. This was for a 10:30am flight on a Monday.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
There is no TSA at YYZ, that's an American government agency. It's CATSA, the Canadian Air Transport Security Agency.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by yyzAAguy
Not sure where you're flying, either.

But in Heaven, I'd start my trip to Bangkok at YTZ, fly Porter (A Member of the Oneworld Alliance), earning 100% for all booking codes, sitting in the front cabin in their new 2-class jets, YTZ-LAX.

It's OK, I'm back to reality now.
You could go YTZ-ORD-LAX-BKK and only miss out on miles on YTZ-ORD-YTZ...
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by qazw1
YYZ is a funny airport. The key is to avoid the first flight out in the morning. The lines can be quite long. After that, it is usually no more than a 30 minute wait.

If you must fly out early, you need to avoid checking baggage. There can be a very long line for that and service is limited.
These are not accurate. If by early morning you mean the 6-7 a.m. departures, just arrive at 4 a.m. and you queue up at the front of the immigration line and by this you will also be early at the baggage drop and then security.

I use GE or NEXUS, whichever machine is free but while I wait at 4:15 in the 10 person NEXUS line , at that time the non NEXUS line is maybe 1/8th full. At 4:30 when they open immigration it is more full or completely.

When I pass Customs there are already people coming through immigration and they have no line at all for luggage and no line of any consequence for security.

If you can check-in online then get there at 4 a.m. and get in the queue for regular folks and you will be fine.

Being realistic they are not going to abandon 50% of passengers for a.m. flights every day because it is impossible to clear the formalities. My MIA flights are almost always full to the brim when we leave so those people got on the plane somehow.

Those people in the front of the non NEXUS line got how? Arriving early.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
And arriving early simply doesn't help: once I arrived at YYZ at 6.30 for a 10am flight (mixed up different reservations). Because the queue was so long they wouldn't let people until shortly before their flight: I saw this fluctuating between 60 and 90 minutes. It then still took me a whole hour to get through the queue once I was in it.
Ridiculous. This is were a refundable ticket for an earlier flight comes in handy.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Actually you can't. PD only flies to Midway not O'Hare.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
These are not accurate. If by early morning you mean the 6-7 a.m. departures, just arrive at 4 a.m. and you queue up at the front of the immigration line and by this you will also be early at the baggage drop and then security.

I use GE or NEXUS, whichever machine is free but while I wait at 4:15 in the 10 person NEXUS line , at that time the non NEXUS line is maybe 1/8th full. At 4:30 when they open immigration it is more full or completely.

When I pass Customs there are already people coming through immigration and they have no line at all for luggage and no line of any consequence for security.

If you can check-in online then get there at 4 a.m. and get in the queue for regular folks and you will be fine.

Being realistic they are not going to abandon 50% of passengers for a.m. flights every day because it is impossible to clear the formalities. My MIA flights are almost always full to the brim when we leave so those people got on the plane somehow.

Those people in the front of the non NEXUS line got how? Arriving early.
Only problem with this strategy is that often OLCI will not work because AA must confirm your documents and this can only be done with an agent. And they don't arrive until 4:30/5a. The only real solution is to get NEXUS or GE.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto

Well - if you arrive at 4 am for a 6 to 7 am flight, are you not 2+ hours before flight time? I think that's what I indicated in my post. If you are leaving on the first group of flights, you need to be give yourself about an hour and half. And if you have to check luggage, you might need even more time.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:50 pm

Actually, I try for Door 1

YYZ is a funny airport. The key is to avoid the first flight out in the morning. The lines can be quite long. After that, it is usually no more than a 30 minute wait.

<snip>

If one can avoid, try not to go thru the line for door 1, the nearest line. This line looks shortest but it is a trap. There is more of wait when one enters the door. Also, the pilots/attendants as well as handicaps go thru that door. You will continually have people cut in front of you.

At T3, I've once had a 40 min long line to clear US formalities in the afternoon for an evening flight. Good thing I arrived a bit earlier that day.

Otherwise, those lines have generally been much shorter.

I actually aim for Door 1 into security screening as the middle door has a nude-o-scope. I try to avoid them (I opt for the grope instead). If you go through Door 1, no nude-o-scope.

What I dislike at T3 are the multiple passport checks to board: 1) to enter the entry portal to the US, 2) to show the passport again at the old entrance to the US immigrations hall, 3) at US immigrations desk, 4) to scan the passport prior to the security lines, 5) at the security line (at the machines), 6) at gate.

If I ran things, there would be passport checks at steps 3 and 6 only.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Globehopper
At T3, I've once had a 40 min long line to clear US formalities in the afternoon for an evening flight. Good thing I arrived a bit earlier that day.

Otherwise, those lines have generally been much shorter.

I actually aim for Door 1 into security screening as the middle door has a nude-o-scope. I try to avoid them (I opt for the grope instead). If you go through Door 1, no nude-o-scope.

What I dislike at T3 are the multiple passport checks to board: 1) to enter the entry portal to the US, 2) to show the passport again at the old entrance to the US immigrations hall, 3) at US immigrations desk, 4) to scan the passport prior to the security lines, 5) at the security line (at the machines), 6) at gate.

If I ran things, there would be passport checks at steps 3 and 6 only.
The nude-o-scope is not always in use. Also, I think door 2 uses the same scanner as door 1.

Not sure why you have to show the passport so many times. If I remember correctly, couple of the check points only ask to see the BP.

I find the mid-afternoon flights to have the least wait. I think maybe 10% of the time will the wait be longer than half hour.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:39 am

If I did that now, I'd also "miss out" on a sane airfare. YTZ-ORD-YTZ is not on a pAArtner.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I have a TSA approved laptop bag so I don't have to take the laptop out of the bag in the U.S. Does Canadian security at YYZ allow the same or must I remove it and send it through x-ray separately?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I have a TSA approved laptop bag so I don't have to take the laptop out of the bag in the U.S. Does Canadian security at YYZ allow the same or must I remove it and send it through x-ray separately?
You will have to remove everything in YYZ. There is no separate such approved laptop bag for Canadian security.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by yyzAAguy
If I did that now, I'd also "miss out" on a sane airfare. YTZ-ORD-YTZ is not on a pAArtner.
True, and also I forgot that PD flies to MDW not ORD... but perhaps YTZ-IAD-LAX-...?

OK, so perhaps you want to wait for PD to join OW after all
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:58 pm

Correction

The nude-o-scope is not always in use. Also, I think door 2 uses the same scanner as door 1.

Not sure why you have to show the passport so many times. If I remember correctly, couple of the check points only ask to see the BP.

I find the mid-afternoon flights to have the least wait. I think maybe 10% of the time will the wait be longer than half hour.

You're right. At step 4 (before security) and step 5 (at security belt), it is a showing of the boarding pass, not the passport.

I should have written it is annoying to show the passport/boarding pass multiple times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.