Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ Check-in Time

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
There is priority security at YYZ but that won't help you getting through US CBP. Everybody is equal there.

I have never experienced any problems in the afternoon, usually it is rammed in the mornings because they only open relatively shortly before the first bank of flights and then - surprise, surprise! - you get long queues.

My experience is that there is no point in turning up more than 2h in advance - if there is a massive queue they will not let you even join it until about 1-1.5h before the flight anyway!
NOt to mention many people flying to the East US from West Canada will take a red eye to YYZ and connect in the morning, compared with much worse times for the afternoon.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by yyzAAguy
...kettle call...
What's that? Kettles don't travel, they boil water.

The entry to PreClearance has been changed recently, so the lines enter past the AA check-in, no longer between it and the DL check-in. There is a GE channel and the regular one, no other priority to US immigration/customs. After that there are priority lanes for security: NEXUS, elites/premium cabins, ordinary folks. There are at least four GE kiosks now, fewer NEXUS.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:09 am

YYZ Check-in Time

Am I actually being chastised for using the term "kettle"? On FT? Is it now inexcusably insensitive to use the term? Or are some FTers actually, genuinely unaware of the word's particular meaning? The way I used it, in reference to the massive queues for Westjet charter flights to the United States of America from Toronto T3, the term "kettle call" cannot be improved upon, IMHO and I'm rather proud of my fun little play on words.

Last edited by yyzAAguy; Sep 23, 2013 at 3:28 am
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Am I actually being chastised for using the term "kettle"? On FT? Is it now inexcusably insensitive to use the term? Or are some FTers actually, genuinely unaware of the word's particular meaning? The way I used it, in reference to the massive queues for Westjet charter flights to the United States of America from Toronto T3, the term "kettle call" cannot be improved upon, IMHO and I'm rather proud of my fun little play on words.
He was pointing out that the traditional phrase is cattle call and probably missed the pun.

Last edited by wutlol; Sep 23, 2013 at 5:44 pm
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by m8classic
If you have Nexus/GlobalEntry, you are golden as it will take you less than 5 minutes to go from airport door to security. T3 doesn't seem to have a dedicated Nexus security lane,
In US preclearance they do. At the end, NEXUS sign.

At 4:30 a.m. it is pointless but if you ask you can even use it then.

So I did, once.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:52 pm

I If you have a NEXUS card, then you are also enrolled in GE and you may therefore use either..
If you enrolled in NEXUS when it was NEXUS only, pre-adding on GE, and the US did not take your fingerprints at the time, then you can be enrolled in GE by adding it in GOES, but you can't use the kiosk until you go to an enrollment office and have them scan your prints.

Good news is despite the waiting list for enrollment interviews you can go to the GE/NEXUS office (At Pearson in T1) and sign on the sheet and get that done without an appointment. Go right when they open, IIRC at 9 a.m.

Same if you have new documents, just go and they copy them at Canada and you are set. At the same time you can ask the US agent for the small CBP passport sticker.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
- is there a priority security line for those traveling in first class
For J/F they do, it is the first non NEXUS one.

I have the trifecta on the early a.m. flights, J/F, NEXUS and the fact I am usually the first person at security, due to not checking luggage.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Thanks for all the replies. I applied for Global Entry but unfortunately I won't have the card in time. My question concerning the priority security line seems to remain unanswered - is there a priority security line for those traveling in first class and/or have AAdvantage Platinum status but who don't have NEXUS or GE? Fortunately my flight is in the afternoon so I won't have to deal with what appears to be chaos in the early morning.
There is a priority line for security but you will have to ask the people staffing the line to let you in, or even point to the sign they're standing next to.

You may well realise that but I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking: security (going landside->airside) is entirely separate from, and after pre-clearance (going through US immigration&customs) - with dropping off your bag being in-between.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
There is a priority line for security but you will have to ask the people staffing the line to let you in, or even point to the sign they're standing next to.

You may well realise that but I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking: security (going landside->airside) is entirely separate from, and after pre-clearance (going through US immigration&customs) - with dropping off your bag being in-between.
Thanks- I think you've got it right. I won't have my Global Entry card by then so will have to be treated like the rest of the herd at Immigration/Customs. But once I've cleared that you're saying there is a "priority" landside to airside security line for first class and AA Platinum passengers.

I do appreciate all the advice everyone has given with my question.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Advantage, spg platnum, viporter, United Silver, Delta Med
Personally - I never arrive that early. I find in general a 30 min wait for anything outside the morning crush.

Also - Not sure where you are flying, but I live downtown and for any short haul i ALWAYS now fly Porter from the Island airport. You can literally arrive 20 min before your US bound flight (about an 8 min Walk for me to get to the airport) and still have time to have a coffee in the lounge . No per-clearance to deal with is a plus.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by jchacko2
Also - Not sure where you are flying, but I live downtown and for any short haul i ALWAYS now fly Porter from the Island airport. You can literally arrive 20 min before your US bound flight (about an 8 min Walk for me to get to the airport) and still have time to have a coffee in the lounge . No per-clearance to deal with is a plus.
Depends on where you're flying I guess: if you're trading YYZ preclearance for EWR immigration it's not so clear...

YTZ is a very convenient airport if you live downtown, though. Long may the subsidies keep it running!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by jchacko2
Personally - I never arrive that early. I find in general a 30 min wait for anything outside the morning crush.

Not sure where you're flying, either.

But in Heaven, I'd start my trip to Bangkok at YTZ, fly Porter (A Member of the Oneworld Alliance), earning 100% for all booking codes, sitting in the front cabin in their new 2-class jets, YTZ-LAX.

It's OK, I'm back to reality now.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, spg platnum, viporter, United Silver, Delta Med

But in Heaven, I'd start my trip to Bangkok at YTZ, fly Porter (A Member of the Oneworld Alliance), earning 100% for all booking codes, sitting in the front cabin in their new 2-class jets, YTZ-LAX.

This sounds like heaven to me as well
Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

Maybe with QR you could soon go YTZ YUL DOH BKK.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:15 pm

YYZ is a funny airport. The key is to avoid the first flight out in the morning. The lines can be quite long. After that, it is usually no more than a 30 minute wait.

If you must fly out early, you need to avoid checking baggage. There can be a very long line for that and service is limited. If you have to check luggage and must fly out on the early morning flight, anticipate possibly an hour and half or more to clear TSA. For a holiday weekend, it is much worst. Seems like everyone is leaving Canada. If you are running very late, you can try and get someone to move you up in line for the customs.

The customs line is much longer wait than the TSA line. I cannot figure out why. There is of course no special treatment for status within customs. But once you pass thru, there is sometimes a priority line for first class if they are busy. It is usually the middle line before one enters the door into TSA. Since AA shares this concourse with Delta, sometimes it is the same line as for the Delta elites.

If you have Nexus or Global Entry, there is a special line for that. Last time I went thru the airport, it kind of circles around the other lines to a door on the far side.

If one can avoid, try not to go thru the line for door 1, the nearest line. This line looks shortest but it is a trap. There is more of wait when one enters the door. Also, the pilots/attendants as well as handicaps go thru that door. You will continually have people cut in front of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.