Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Moving to AA's T8 at JFK Wednesday

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2013, 4:57 am

Programs: AA Gold,DL SM.UA,HA
Nobody certainly told the control tower anything about it.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by JFKATC
Nobody certainly told the control tower anything about it.
It's strictly on a need-to-know basis at this point.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
It appears US flights are being assigned gates in the C Concourse. Does anyone know if US Club members are being granted reciprocal access to AC ? The AC in C gets a little busy and the additional pax going to and from CLT and PHX will hurt at times.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by george 3
It appears US flights are being assigned gates in the C Concourse. Does anyone know if US Club members are being granted reciprocal access to AC ? The AC in C gets a little busy and the additional pax going to and from CLT and PHX will hurt at times.
There were rumors of reciprocal access shortly after merger approval but that, of course, is now on hold. US Air flyers in T8 will need to enjoy the concourse.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:03 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

The majority of US ops have departures in the early morning. With only 2 departures during the peak afternoon time. The US RON after the vast majority of the AA flights have gone. All in all this is good for AA and improves gate utilization in this under scheduled terminal.

US will use gates 34, 36, 38, and 40. Te current schedule has US with 4 RON aircraft.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:05 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by ty97
There were rumors of reciprocal access shortly after merger approval but that, of course, is now on hold. US Air flyers in T8 will need to enjoy the concourse.
US could negotiate a lounge agreement with AA much the same way AS does.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:27 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by denCSA
will AA be granting US members access to the AC?
Not unless the merger is approved.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well this is a giant surprise and as others have said a bit premature. Though frankly, I think I'd rather sit in the T8 terminal than the T7 United Club. At least it frees up some space at the vastly overcrowded T7
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by HNL

The majority of US ops have departures in the early morning. With only 2 departures during the peak afternoon time. The US RON after the vast majority of the AA flights have gone. All in all this is good for AA and improves gate utilization in this under scheduled terminal.

US will use gates 34, 36, 38, and 40. Te current schedule has US with 4 RON aircraft.
I agree its kind of dead at times. As for our US Morning flight amigos, they can get used to the line at FourBucks. Oops, it's an airport. FiveBucks.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:31 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
Not unless the merger is approved.
The merger is not required for US Club members to access the AC at JFK. US simply needs to negotiate a lounge access agreement with AA. I would not count on this happening since US is not known as a spend thrift.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by HNL
The merger is not required for US Club members to access the AC at JFK. US simply needs to negotiate a lounge access agreement with AA. I would not count on this happening since US is not known as a spend thrift.
Why not. They were paying UA for US Club members to access the T7 club. In fact, they could stipulate that the ACs in T8 are only accessible for club members if flying out on a US flight.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:17 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Why not. They were paying UA for US Club members to access the T7 club. In fact, they could stipulate that the ACs in T8 are only accessible for club members if flying out on a US flight.
US and UA have reciprocal agreements across their networks to allow members from each club access. It wasn't just a one off agreement at JFK.

If AA was to allow US members access at JFK T8, then why not also give US members access at MIA, OR, DFW, etc.? Not gonna happen unless the DOJ suit is defeated and the merger proceeds.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by PHL
If AA was to allow US members access at JFK T8, then why not also give US members access at MIA, OR, DFW, etc.? Not gonna happen unless the DOJ suit is defeated and the merger proceeds.
I think the point is that airlines do not need to merge or be in an immunised joint venture to offer reciprocal lounge access. UA/US are one example, AS/DL another, I'm sure there are more. US and AA could easily enter into such an agreement without violating any existing laws or strictures, whether for access at just one airport or system-wide.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:18 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Microwave
US and AA could easily enter into such an agreement without violating any existing laws or strictures, whether for access at just one airport or system-wide.
I wasn't suggesting that there are legal ramifications to them offering access. I just don't see any reason for US to pay AA some $$ to allow the few members who fly out of JFK to use it.

In fact, in the early part of the 2000's, they did have such a partnership that allowed the reciprocal lounge access as well as mileage redemption in each other's programs.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Curious they would not have an agreement in place to use the Admirals Club but the US website has the following notation about the T8 move:

"Clubs and lounges
Not available"

Suppose UA customers will have to suffer as we do at the commuter pier at LGA without a lounge!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.