Search

Is the MD-80 gone yet?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:35 am
Used to be 'IAD22066'
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K AA
Is the MD-80 gone yet?

I haven't been able to find this thread yet but I'm certain this question is frequently addressed...

Does AA still have MD-80s in their fleet? I switched from AA a few years ago because I found myself in the back of those aircraft way to often. I don't see how any self respecting person could sit in that dark space with your head so close to those two jet engines. I also got sick of DFW (is Pepsi still the only thing you can drink there?).

Has anything changed?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by IAD22066
I haven't been able to find this thread yet but I'm certain this question is frequently addressed...

Does AA still have MD-80s in their fleet? I switched from AA a few years ago because I found myself in the back of those aircraft way to often. I don't see how any self respecting person could sit in that dark space with your head so close to those two jet engines. I also got sick of DFW (is Pepsi still the only thing you can drink there?).

Has anything changed?
Still a few hundred... scheduled to disappear fast.
But I love to fly old aircraft. I'd probably kill to be able to get back on a B 727, not to mention a Caravelle. They both were the most comfortable short range planes to fly on. The MD-80s are nowhere near that.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'm pretty sure AA uses DFW as a hub still. No change there. Someone who is based in IAD is likely to see a lot of DFW if they fly AA...

AA is removing MD80s from the fleet gradually as they replace it with their new aircraft orders.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-selected.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-18-102-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-interior.html

You can buy space in Main Cabin Extra up front if you wish, which is a new feature (MCE on the 2-seat side is not much different than first class).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html

Most of the folks on the AA forum don't sit in the back too often on MD80s because, not surprisingly, they are elites (and get MCE or F seats).
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA ended the second quarter with 180 MD-80s in active service and plans to end the year with 157 of them:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...ompany-history
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
No

Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:01 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
We had a SFO-DFW-FLL RT this past weekend. All 738. It was nice not to be on the MD-80. I actually like the articulating seats- much better than the MadDog, even though some don't care for it. So, they're gone (MD-80) as far as I can tell

Cheers.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: AA, UA
Still plenty of MD-80s, especially at DFW. They are being retired as new aircraft enter the fleet, but the replacement process will take at least 5 more years.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by brp
We had a SFO-DFW-FLL RT this past weekend. All 738. It was nice not to be on the MD-80. I actually like the articulating seats- much better than the MadDog, even though some don't care for it. So, they're gone (MD-80) as far as I can tell

Cheers.
Blasphemy...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Im starting to agree. I had a 6am LAX-AUS last week, and after very little sleep the night before, I was forced to try and sleep on the flight, and I found that the MD80 F-seat was just not as comfortable to sleep in for 3 hours as the 737 F-Seat.

I also prefer the normal pitch on the 737 F-seats on both sides of the aircraft. Too many times my upgrade clears late and I'm on the freaking A/B side in row 5... and that missing 2-3 inches is a HUGE difference.

Oh the first world problems that I face on a daily basis. I just booked 9 roundtrips over the next month and I was amazed how many of the damn flights are on MD80s. I love those airplanes in the back, but now that I havent ridden in the back in a year, I really like the 737s more.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite

Has anything changed?
Just as it is for DL at ATL, for many things at AA, the road leads through DFW. I think you are mistaken, AA offers both Pepsi and Coke... as for DFW, we pride ourselves as the home to Dr Pepper.

If you fly enough (even Gold, especially PLT), it will be rare that you ever are past row 20 or 22 on a Super 80. If you're EXP, it's rare you are past row 6.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
As for DFW, we pride ourselves as the home to Dr Pepper.
AA may offer both Coke and Pepsi products but if you go to buy a soda at DFW, all you will find is Pepsi products - so if he really is a Coke person then it might be a bit frustrating. (Note: I didn't check at McDonalds or the like to see if that is true there - but all the bottled sodas I saw a few weeks ago were pepsi products).
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by wrp96
AA may offer both Coke and Pepsi products but if you go to buy a soda at DFW, all you will find is Pepsi products - so if he really is a Coke person then it might be a bit frustrating. (Note: I didn't check at McDonalds or the like to see if that is true there - but all the bottled sodas I saw a few weeks ago were pepsi products).
I believe McDonalds is an exception to the Pepsi contract at DFW. I can't speak specifically to soft drinks, but I know the McDonalds have Dasani water (a Coke product, versus Aquifina sold at almost every other outlet instead).
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL SM.UA,HA
I received an email the other day for a small schedule change to a LGA-DFW res in Jan. and also noticed it went from an MD-80 to a 737.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:24 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K AA
Originally Posted by wrp96
I do remember (long, long ago) that you could get Coke at McDonalds. That was the one exception.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is Pepsi still the only thing you can drink there?
No, now there's also both bottled water for sale at many concessions and free water in the drinking fountains and free water in the AA lounges.

Water wasn't there last time you were at DFW????

(If you meant "the only soft drink brand", you should have said that.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.