Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the MD-80 gone yet?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG
I'm on ORD-LAS AA2427 next Sun on a MD-80.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
<redacted>

Seat 6E on an MD80 = 65db
Seat 6A on a 737 = 68db.
Also 11A on a 737 was 68db, so no real difference between F and MCE.
Can you use a sound level meter in flight? Would that fall under the banned electronics category? Also, many modern ones have datalogging feature, also electronic. What about frequency (octave band) measurements; they might also be a factor. I do find the sound level data to be very interesting; I wonder if Boeing/Airbus report such numbers. Any problems with TSA bring SLM on board in carry-on?

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 23, 2015 at 8:46 am Reason: Redacted material dilatory to topic
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by relangford
Can you use a sound level meter in flight? Would that fall under the banned electronics category? Also, many modern ones have datalogging feature, also electronic. What about frequency (octave band) measurements; they might also be a factor. I do find the sound level data to be very interesting; I wonder if Boeing/Airbus report such numbers. Any problems with TSA bring SLM on board in carry-on?
I'll freely admit that mine is just an app on my phone - someone with access to a real decibel meter may be able to give more accurate numbers, this was just for my own personal edification.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TheJeff
Seat 6A on a 737 = 68db.
Also 11A on a 737 was 68db, so no real difference between F and MCE. I don't have MCE for an MD80 yet but should have it by this time next week.
Test around row 16 on the MD80. I've observed there seems to be a sweet spot of quiet.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by 0335th
I fully agree!!!

Those ole MD80's might not have the curb appeal everyone likes. But they are definitely a way more comfortable ride.
There was a lot of hate for the F100s- until they were gone...

I see the same thing happening for the mad dogs- especially if an RJ or 319 is the replacement.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul

I see the same thing happening for the mad dogs- especially if an RJ or 319 is the replacement.
Only thing I don't like about them is the old/outdated cabin and lake of any IFE. Other than that they are no worse than a 737, and leagues ahead of the 757.

If they weren't phasing them out, I'd say it would be mandatory for AA to give them an interior refurb.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul

+1
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
I was wondering the same thing just the other day -- and lo' and behold -- I'm on an MD80 from ABQ-DFW
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by GeneralVeers
Only thing I don't like about them is the old/outdated cabin and lake of any IFE. Other than that they are no worse than a 737, and leagues ahead of the 757.

If they weren't phasing them out, I'd say it would be mandatory for AA to give them an interior refurb.
Shoot, a really good cleaning would help.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Shoot, a really good cleaning would help.
Agreed. Each plane must be holding 5lbs worth of beer farts.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Can you use a sound level meter in flight? Would that fall under the banned electronics category?
There are phone apps that can do this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 24, 2015 at 12:00 pm Reason: close quotes
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Only 163 of them left in service with AA according to one of the fleet list websites so still some time to enjoy the MD
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:49 am

Programs: SQ & QF
[QUOTE=mvoight;22767901]
Can you use a sound level meter in flight? Would that fall under the banned electronics category? QUOTE]

There are phone apps that can do this.
Phones must remain switched off during flight, it "interferes" with the navigation equipment
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by TheJeff
Curiously enough I recently started tracking noise levels mid-flight:

Seat 6A on a 737 = 68db.
Also 11A on a 737 was 68db, so no real difference between F and MCE. I don't have MCE for an MD80 yet but should have it by this time next week.
It would be interesting to see the difference in noise levels between an aisle and window seat up front in an MD-80. Qualitatively I feel that the window seats seem a shade noisier than aisle seats and this would make sense given that slipstream is the source of all the noise. Would be great to see some data though.

A 3 db difference in noise between 737 and MD-80 seems pretty small so hopefully we can put to rest the oft repeated falsehood that MD-80s are "whisper quiet" up front in the cruise phase of flight.

Can you use a sound level meter in flight? Would that fall under the banned electronics category? Also, many modern ones have datalogging feature, also electronic. What about frequency (octave band) measurements; they might also be a factor. I do find the sound level data to be very interesting; I wonder if Boeing/Airbus report such numbers.
I haven't found it publicly reported for airliners but they certainly engineer and test for it. Business jet manufacturers even more so. Cabin noise levels are part of the specification and/or completion specification for bizjets so an airplane has to come in below a certain threshold or risk a customer being able to refuse to accept delivery on the basis of it not meeting the spec.

Any problems with TSA bring SLM on board in carry-on?
Why would there be?

My firm used to do a lot of technical consulting on completions. We had staff that traveled with real decibel meters to take readings on aircraft. I don't seem to recall them ever saying they had to check that equipment or that it posed problems at checkpoints.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by gcuk
Only 163 of them left in service with AA according to one of the fleet list websites so still some time to enjoy the MD
Yes, the real question is, as some of us complain about the MD80:

Will we like what they replace them with better?

737-800?

A319?

E175?

Various US Airways aircraft?

While I can see some reasons to like the 738 better, particularly on longer flights, I also see some reasons not to like it.

As for the other three, they are IMHO all inferior to those 163 MD80s, and I hope the mad dogs stay flying for some time to come.

Daze

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.