FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Patterns & predictions for DEQM / double EQM in 2013 (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1454338-patterns-predictions-deqm-double-eqm-2013-consolidated.html)

stageworks Jul 25, 2013 4:47 pm

Just out of curiosity, does any remember when DEQM were offered prior to 2011.

Ready2Go Jul 25, 2013 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by stageworks (Post 21158602)
Just out of curiosity, does any remember when DEQM were offered prior to 2011.

In 2009 there were two systemwide DEQM promotions. One was for three months and the other for a little more than three months - so more than half of the year in total. But that was because demand for air travel was absolutely cratering, and they hadn't been able to adjust capacity downward fast enough. It was a desperate year in the industry.

FWAAA Jul 25, 2013 4:56 pm

I believe that AA began a DEQM promo in early 2008 following the multi-day grounding of hundreds of MD-80s that resulted in thousands of cancelled flights. I think a DEQM promo followed in 2009 as well. Don't remember if there was one in 2010.

Prior to 2008, I don't think that AA had offered a widespread DEQM promo since February, 1999, following the pilot union sickout (protest of the manner of AA's purchase of Reno Air and perceived foot-dragging on integrating the airline into AA).

supergrandslam Jul 25, 2013 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 21158648)
I believe that AA began a DEQM promo in early 2008 following the multi-day grounding of hundreds of MD-80s that resulted in thousands of cancelled flights. I think a DEQM promo followed in 2009 as well. Don't remember if there was one in 2010.

When something inconvenient happened to AA flyers, AA did DEQM/RDM.
Last year's DEQM/RDM was because of the "job actions" by AA pilots, many AA flights were delayed.

supergrandslam Jul 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by supergrandslam (Post 21158931)

For system-wide DEQM/RDM, AA did when US economy was VERY slow.

For specific routes, AA did the route specific DEQM/RDM(or even triple) to compete against other carriers, especially when they tried to steal AA's market share on the route.
For example, LGA/ORD/BOS(vs DL), RDU/PIT/STL/BNA(vs DL) and LAX/DFW/ORD(vs VX).

Panamajon513 Jul 25, 2013 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ready2Go (Post 21158618)
In 2009 there were two systemwide DEQM promotions. One was for three months and the other for a little more than three months - so more than half of the year in total. But that was because demand for air travel was absolutely cratering, and they hadn't been able to adjust capacity downward fast enough. It was a desperate year in the industry.

That was the year I did a lot of work related MIA-LAS-MIA flights and hit EXPLT because of the two DEQM promotions. Double 2,175 miles each way and that's 8,700 miles round trip.

The (weird) difference in 2009 was that it only applied to air travel that hadn't yet been booked, so when the promo was announced around April, there was a lot of scrambling to cancel and rebook flights to take advantage of the promo.

What a crazy year for the economy that was.

Edit: Just noticed that not coincidentally, that was also the month and year I joined FlyerTalk!

travelsavant Jul 25, 2013 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by supergrandslam (Post 21158931)
Last year's DEQM/RDM was because of the "job actions" by AA pilots, many AA flights were delayed.

Based on that, we should see a DQEM promotion Around 11/1/13...AA's way of apologizing for the merger!:D

mvoight Jul 26, 2013 12:30 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 21158648)

Prior to 2008, I don't think that AA had offered a widespread DEQM promo since February, 1999, following the pilot union sickout (protest of the manner of AA's purchase of Reno Air and perceived foot-dragging on integrating the airline into AA).

I wish they had gone a lot slower on the QQ integration......but, QQ was losing money... I just miss all of the routes, especially SJC-SNA

Parkdesigner Jul 26, 2013 1:22 am

Originally Posted by travelsavant (Post 21159978)
Based on that, we should see a DQEM promotion Around 11/1/13...AA's way of apologizing for the merger!:D

Yeah - but then those will be EQMs on the post-merger airline!! :eek::D

diver858 Jul 26, 2013 8:44 am

Considering the relative health of the airline industry, I do not expect any widespread DEQM / DEQP promos this year, have booked several MRs over the next couple of months to make PLT, accelerate 2 MM, lifetime PLT.

It is also interesting to note that AA has several bonus mileage programs, but no DEQM.

Fornebufox Jul 26, 2013 9:06 am

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 21161577)
Considering the relative health of the airline industry, I do not expect any widespread DEQM / DEQP promos this year, have booked several MRs over the next couple of months to make PLT, accelerate 2 MM, lifetime PLT.

It is also interesting to note that AA has several bonus mileage programs, but no DEQM.

AA has already given away the store WRT comped EXP, so I'd be surprised to see a DEQM promo. Just my luck, as my travel is dropping off precipitously.

DEQMs boosted me to my first EXP qualification in 2009. Will hate to drop to PLT...

allenh91801 Jul 26, 2013 9:24 am

Hmm. From the looks of things, it doesn't look good this year for DEQM.

fcovieira Aug 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Double eqp eqm

hello a question someone believes that AA again this year to give double miles eqm eqp ?

bdemaria Aug 28, 2013 10:37 pm

fcovieira, welcome to FT.

I wouldn't count on it. Keep monitoring FT/AA.com and if it occurs, it will be posted here.

allenh91801 Aug 29, 2013 9:28 am

Somehow, I just don't envision a DEQM promotion this year. Travel is up, and they are already going to flood the market with the fast track to Elite status for those non elites, that they couldn't possibly offer the DEQM so then in theory for those who signed up for the fast track could earn EXP with only 15k miles flown.