Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:08 am

LOL @ US Air:

The complaint also describes how, in recent years, the major airlines have succeeded in raising prices, imposing new fees and reducing service. The complaint quotes several public statements by senior US Airways executives directly attributing this trend to a reduction in the number of competitors in the U.S. market:

· President Scott Kirby said, “Three successful fare increases – [we are] able to pass along to customers because of consolidation.”
· At an industry conference in 2012, Kirby said, “Consolidation has also…allowed the industry to do things like ancillary revenues…. That is a structural permanent change to the industry and one that’s impossible to overstate the benefit from it.”
· As US Airways CEO Parker stated in February 2013, combining US Airways and American would be “ the last major piece needed to fully rationalize the industry.”
· A US Airways document said that capacity reductions have “enabled” fare increases.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Xero
AA and TWA merged, US and America West merged. Both airlines had their chances already.

But this is good news. The US has been doing a good job enforcing laws like the Sherman Act. I hope this merger does not happen.
Actually, from what I've read, the US & AW merger hasn't truly been finalized internally-hopefully that was also one of the reasons for stopping this, even if not stated. Doug Parker hasn't managed to fully integrate the 2 airlines he's currently running-what makes anyone think adding a 3rd to the mix will end well?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:13 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I wonder how long it will take US to end up in BK court if the DOJ succeeds...
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: AA PLT
Wild speculation, but I'm thinking USdbaAA might have been playing hardball on concessions (DCA slots, etc), so this is a way to force their hand. I can't believe that the merger would have gotten this far along without a lot of informal talks with the DOJ.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
Wow, I wonder if AA management and the UCC has/had a backup reorganization plan if the merger fell through?
I thought that the original plan favored by AA was to emerge from bankruptcy as a standalone company, without a merger. Can they go back to that plan? or is it too late?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:17 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Could US still make a move to One World independent of a merger?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:18 am
uxb

Originally Posted by txrus
Actually, from what I've read, the US & AW merger hasn't truly been finalized internally-hopefully that was also one of the reasons for stopping this, even if not stated. Doug Parker hasn't managed to fully integrate the 2 airlines he's currently running-what makes anyone think adding a 3rd to the mix will end well?
If the merger happened, then the overwhelming majority of people that came over from America West would be without a job. That explains why the AZ AG filed suit. DP, once in charge, could have moved HQ from TX to AZ if the tax breaks were good enough, which is why the TX AG filed suit. I'm not exactly sure why the other AGs are involved. And I'm shocked and disappointed that the NY AG failed to follow through. SMH.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:19 am
uxb

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
I thought that the original plan favored by AA was to emerge from bankruptcy as a standalone company, without a merger. Can they go back to that plan? or is it too late?
Yes, they can go back to their original plan, and the UCC will have to accept it.

Originally Posted by tom911
Could US still make a move to One World independent of a merger?
Yes/maybe. I don't think the DOJ took exception to them being part of OW. The Europeans did not. They took exception to them being the same behemoth entity. That being said, if the DOJ blocks the merger, but not OW entry, then it is likely that AA/US would also be blocked from a revenue-sharing scheme.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
What's so different now compared to DL-NW and UA-CO?
AMR stock down 25%!
One article suggested that now airlines are making profits. In the past, merging two companies losing money was OK. Merging two successful companies is a different story. <shrug>
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by uxb
Why do people keep saying this? LCC was in the black this year.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:22 am
uxb

Originally Posted by ellinj
Why do people keep saying this? LCC was in the black this year.
Because LCC has not resolved their labour dispute, which is costly and draining money.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uxb
There was a report several months ago speculating that, if the merger went thru, Doug Parker would make a beeline to BK to get the agreements w/the AA pilots nullified as well as look to drastically reduce the number of employees overall since it didn't appear, financially, Parker's stated plan was viable long term.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:26 am
uxb

Originally Posted by txrus
There was a report several months ago speculating that, if the merger went thru, Doug Parker would make a beeline to BK to get the agreements w/the AA pilots nullified as well as look to drastically reduce the number of employees overall since it didn't appear, financially, Parker's stated plan was viable long term.
As previously stated, I spoke w/ a C-level exec of DL at a private function a few months ago. According to him, AA/US needs to trim their workforce to ~80k heads in order to harness synergies from this merger. That wouldn't happen with the labour agreements Horton made prior to the merger announcement.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Wild speculation, but I'm thinking USdbaAA might have been playing hardball on concessions (DCA slots, etc), so this is a way to force their hand. I can't believe that the merger would have gotten this far along without a lot of informal talks with the DOJ.
I think this is 100% right. If US/AA are willing to give up more slots at DCA, my bet is this can get done quickly.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ryerflyer
Bad timing. Last-mover vs. first mover makes all the difference.

DL/NW and UA/CO occurred when airlines financial performance was much worse than now and there were too many seats.

AA/US are both making piles of cash independently. They have a tough economic case to make.

Politics isn't really a major factor - CO/UA final approval came from the current administration.
Politics is always a factor.

The problem with saying "no" at this point is that the government has stacked the deck in favor of DL/NW and UA/CO, leaving US and AA in much weaker condition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.