Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:58 am

Best news I've seen in a long time. I was dreading AA turning into a division of US Scareways. AA is basically a great airline, good domestic and global route structure, great motivated workforce and a great fan-club of happy pax (somewhat due to Aadvantage). Methinks this near-death experience will energize everyone on both sides of what was once a management-employee divide to rise to new glory.

Fingers crossed.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
I cashed out when AA stock went back up to $2.50 after it became a penny stock. I still kept 10 shares and came ahead a little. Kicking myself when I didn't buy more back when it was under 50 cents a share.
Me too. Husband and I compete with our slush fund money, I'm way ahead of him for the last few years. I tend to follow transportation stocks, he follows technology. Although my early, very early, investment in Amazon has more than paid off.

Not going to look at it for at least a day now.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:59 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by txrus
Speaking of which, anyone besides me wish I were a fly on the walls of both Parker & Horton's offices when this news came thru? I suspect there were vastly different reactions
I'd wager the reactions were the same. Horton wants to get out w/ his $20MM severance payment!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by dw
I'd wager the reactions were the same. Horton wants to get out w/ his $20MM severance payment!
Didn't the BK judge block that payment? Or did he change his mind?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
guess the hope that those US Airways miles from the barclay's card transferring over were just a pipe dream.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by dw
If he stays as CEO of an independent AA, he will probably make more than that in just a few short years while also running his own ship. That $20M is probably still there for him down the road.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
I think pretty much everyone at AA (except perhaps the unions) is ecstatic. They all keep their jobs, they now are part of a lean, mean, restructured AA with a terrific competitive position, and they all want to drive a stake through the heart of USAir.

Even Tom Horton is happy. Long term he'll make more than $20 million as head of AA, and there aren't any other CEO jobs at airlines that he can get instead.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
This is the best news I have heard in weeks.
Finally, some proper DOJ intervention just like with AT&T and T-Mobile.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Silver 2014), AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Plan B

While this is a surprise, US can still be effective by moving to OneWorld and codesharing with AA (and BA, etc.), then make a strategic investment in AA as part of a consortium to take it out of bankruptcy.

US has been the forgotten sibling to UA/CO (new UA) since CO arrived ...
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Zomba
No kidding. TCON flyers have no right to complain when those routes actually have legit competition. They should try living in the Midwest where you often pay that much for a 300 mile flight (on mainline AC).
It's not transcon routes that suffer from lack of competition (you can fly eight or so different carriers from JFK to LAX/SFO). Pointless example. It's the 500-700 mile feeder routes in and out of hubs that are at risk. Each time a player gets knocked off the chess board, it gets easier for the remaining airlines to cut frequencies, hike prices, tell you to drive or stay home if you don't like it, and drive out new challengers with temporary fare wars. That's not "stabilizing the industry," it's leveraging cartel economics, and I find it weird that so many frequent flyers root for it (and against their own interests).
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; AC 100K
From the CNN article at http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/13/us/air...html?hpt=hp_t2

"The Justice Department lawsuit cites internal documents from the airlines to show that the merger isn't needed and in fact would lead to cuts in programs that benefit travelers. An example is American's Advantage Fares discount program, which American executives said would likely be eliminated after the merger, according to the Justice Department."

Huh? Might be bad reporting, or semantics, but this would be huge information to give the public (read AAdvantage members), if at all true.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
The Advantage Fares are a USAir program, not an AA program. The reference to American in this quote must refer to New (i.e. merged) American.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
I can't comment on this particular merger, but having more > less because they are all fighting for more of the same pie, which means we win.

However, I find it ironic that they allowed the banking system to consolidate to just 4 major players since the mid 90s
Considering the expanded role of credit unions in the market as well as the recent arrival of numerous "alternative checking" products, all on top of the relatively low barriers to entry in banking, I don't think this is an equal comparison.

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 13, 2013 at 2:17 pm Reason: Redacted quote of massive image
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:16 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I can't imagine that AA execs are unhappy about this. I have to wonder if they might have even, ahem, played along with DOJ to coax it into taking this position.

In other news, AA is set to have a bankruptcy exit meeting with their judge this week. Interesting timing.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:18 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by ksweeney
Government pushing prices down via blocking this merger only works as long as the carriers remain in business. .....
If the government wishes to keep fares down by favoring UA and DL over AA and US, it might succeed for a while but what if AA and US fail? ......
Blocking this merger might have made more sense had they also blocked DL/NW and UA/CO.
+1
See the "SW effect" after they knocked the competition out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.