Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:44 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by tom911
AA has $7 billion in cash on hand and a $200+ million profit last month. Are those the kind of numbers you see heading into chapter 7?
No but I am very wary of relying on ONE MONTH's financial results.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Looks like judge sets November 25th as tentative date (CNBC).
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
So where is US's going concern advisory from the public accounting firm which signs off on their financial statements?
Yes, my industry (I am a CPA) has a perfect track record on raising this before a bankruptcy occurs.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
US absolutely allows aa to grow in Asia. Us funnels a lot of traffic to Asia through ua and other star partners - aa can now use that traffic to help sustain flights.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
That's a fair summary of the argument. The proponents of that argument omit the fact that the airplane orders were affirmed by AA, with the agreement of the creditors, before the merger.

And has been posted and discussed numerous times since July, 2011, lease financing commitments are in place for the first half of the orders (130 A319/A321 and 100 737).

Generally, airplane leases are long-term (10-20 years) with no manadatory balloon payments. Just like an auto lease, theres usually an option to purchase at the end of the term at a fixed price or a price determined by a formula.

Exactly. AA's creditors approved of the airplane orders before they demanded the merger.

If there's any risk to those airplane orders - it's actually with the merger, as mergers generally mean "right-sizing" and shrinkage, not growth.

Implicit in that worry is an assumption that AA is doomed to fail because its revenue is only about 2/3 the revenue of UA or DL. Not everyone buys that premise.

Yes, the merger would have made AA bigger. But not in Asia, where it's agreed that AA is too small. And it wouldn't have made AA much bigger in NYC, since US has just the shuttles to BOS and DCA and flights to its hubs.

If anybody should be worried about this merger being blocked, it should probably be Smisek and Anderson, as the complaint isn't just a request for a permanent injunction against AA and US; the complaint was also a shot across the bow of UA and DL. Failure to stop their mergers doesn't mean that the government is estopped from later asserting that those airlines have grown too large and are violating the antitrust laws.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Per www.bloomberg.com, trial date set for November 25.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1k; MR Platinum; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by george 3
hmm, interesting.

I wonder what the strategy will be going forward now for AA/US.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by morrisunc
US absolutely allows aa to grow in Asia. Us funnels a lot of traffic to Asia through ua and other star partners - aa can now use that traffic to help sustain flights.
Yes, that's sort of a hybrid between turn-key growth and organic growth. New AA would still have to convince those customers to leave UA/NH/SQ for their Asian travel in favor of AA/JL/CX. Might happen, might not. Nobody really knows. It involves starting new flights to Asia with new airplanes and hoping to fill them. That's also a key part of the AA stand-alone plan. Add flights, hope to fill them profitably.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Microwave
I believe all of the forthcoming Airbus aircraft are on operating leases. The most similar type of situation that we encounter regularly would be a long-term car rental. If you choose to rent a car in 28-day stretches, you never get a dime of equity in the car itself, you're simply paying the car company for the use of the car for the period of time of the lease. It's entirely up to the rental company to own the asset, and they're the ones "paying" the depreciation on it as you use it. The upside of this is that AA do not have to arrange financing for any aircraft bought under such arrangements, and only have to "come up with the money" as they begin using the aircraft.
The other type of lease is a capital lease which, generally, uses accounting treatment that makes the lease look like the asset is really owned by the lessee. That has a big impact on the lessee's balance sheet. The balance sheet will show much more debt as the discounted future amount of lease payments will be shown as a capital lease obligation in Long term debt. Leverage ratio is impacted which could affect financial covenant requirements in bank and other borrowing facilities. FAS 13 has been amended but the basics remain the same.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
November 25

Originally Posted by spin88
<snip>

My guess is that Kollar will put DOJ to the test, but if they can present a reasonable discovery plan (so she believes they are not running out the clock) they she is not going to go with USs schedule. Instead she wants to make a record so that she can write an opinion that lays out a convincing case for the schedule she will enter. Her order is asking for that information, and anyone reading a preference of any schedule in her order does not understand how Court's work.

Last edited by miamigrad; Aug 30, 2013 at 12:13 pm Reason: redacted quoted content so others wouldn't have to scroll so much
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kootur
All those people who said it wouldn't be till march are wrong it seems. Where is my bottle spin88?

Judge in AMR/US Airways merger wants trial sooner than March
She set a "tentative" trial date of 25 November. I wouldn't start lining up to get a seat in the courtroom on that date.

Originally Posted by george 3
No, she set a tentative date of 11/25. A lot can happen between now and then.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's Monday of Thanksgiving week!! (Thanksgiving is 28 November).

Looks like a big FU to both sides...stop being unrealistic or I will (tentatively) ruin everybody's Thanksgiving.

Pass the popcorn.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: WFBF
Implicit in that worry is an assumption that AA is doomed to fail because its revenue is only about 2/3 the revenue of UA or DL. Not everyone buys that premise.
It's not that AA is doomed to fail -- it's just that it seems highly unlikely AA by itself can grow both domestically and internationally, in a reasonable time frame, to match the presence of post-merger DL and post-merger UA.

The merger doesn't immediately accomplish that, of course, but I think it does reduce the number of holes AA needs to patch. It's easier to focus on things like Asia when US' 250-strong stable of A320-family (including 1.5x more 319s already in service than AA has on order) craft is giving AA's domestic fleet modernization a shot in the arm and the CLT fortress hub is offering a stronger east-coast network and the ability to compete with DL in DL's own backyard.

If anybody should be worried about this merger being blocked, it should probably be Smisek and Anderson, as the complaint isn't just a request for a permanent injunction against AA and US; the complaint was also a shot across the bow of UA and DL. Failure to stop their mergers doesn't mean that the government is estopped from later asserting that those airlines have grown too large and are violating the antitrust laws.
DoJ doesn't really seem to feel it has the ability to shrink or break up huge established players in a market; the last time it seriously tried was with Microsoft, and we can see how that one turned out. So if I were an exec at DL or UA I wouldn't really be worried that they'll come after me; I'd just be feeling pretty happy at the thought that the government's going to fight to keep anyone else from competing at my level.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hillrider

Looks like a big FU to both sides...stop being unrealistic or I will (tentatively) ruin everybody's Thanksgiving.

Pass the popcorn.
I dont think it was an fu to aa. They got a trial within 2 weeks of what they had requested.

The question is does this push the doj to settle since they have less half the time they wanted.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by ubernostrum
It's not that AA is doomed to fail -- it's just that it seems highly unlikely AA by itself can grow both domestically and internationally, in a reasonable time frame, to match the presence of post-merger DL and post-merger UA.

The merger doesn't immediately accomplish that, of course, but I think it does reduce the number of holes AA needs to patch. It's easier to focus on things like Asia when US' 250-strong stable of A320-family (including 1.5x more 319s already in service than AA has on order) craft is giving AA's domestic fleet modernization a shot in the arm and the CLT fortress hub is offering a stronger east-coast network and the ability to compete with DL in DL's own backyard.
A rare burst on sanity at FT!!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by halls120
She set a "tentative" trial date of 25 November. I wouldn't start lining up to get a seat in the courtroom on that date.

No, she set a tentative date of 11/25. A lot can happen between now and then.
very, very interesting. I am curious what schedule she set (will have to wait for an order to be posted) and who gets jammed by it. That the date is "tentative" is getting lost in about 2/3 of the press reports...

She denied Nov 12 (a tuesday) and pushed it to November 25 (monday before thanksgiving). Assuming that the trial actually goes then and the Court is open the day before thanksgiving, trial is to take 10-12 days. Ten Court days is December 10, 12 court days is December 12. Kollar can I guess rule from the bench, although usually the judge will issue a written ruling, which takes weeks or months to come out.

So this is right up against the December 13 date.

Again, I want to see the schedule she set. That the date is "tentative" with a magistrate to oversee discovery, puts enormous pressure not on DOJ, but on US's lawyers. E.g. DOJ demands Parker's e-mails, and the e-mails over everyone working on the transition, regarding everything related to the merger. They demand them on shortened time (say 10 days, the usual 30 will not work). Is US going to object? If so, the e-mails don't get turned over in time, DOJ does not have access to relevant information, that tentative trial date is gone. Ditto, depositions. e.g. DOJ demands Parker be produced on date X, is US going to object, take it to the magistrate?

As Kollar is quoted as saying by bloomberg: “I’m going to set a schedule that enables both parties to get all of the information that you need to adequately prosecute or defend the case, but I’m going to do it on an expedited basis,”

In the dynamics of litigation, US will not be able to ask for a single extension, nor really object to any discovery that DOJ wants and then loose the motion (in essence delaying the proceedings). That is a bad place to be. Tentative dates are just that.

Originally Posted by hillrider

Pass the popcorn.
I don't see it as a FU, more like "lets see what you really do, and what is really reasonable" It is notable to me that (from the early reports anyway) that it appears she did not limit discovery as US wanted. A trial date of November 25 is hard to conceive of unless discovery was limited. DOJ will demand lots of stuff from US, and if US does not timely responds, or gives junk answers, or dumps worthless crap on DOJ, you can bet that the magistrate judge will quickly hear about it. And if problems arise in the schedule, and they can be blamed in part on US, you can bet that Kollar will get a motion saying the tentative date is not workable due to US's actions.

Also it creates some interesting issues for US. For example, do they file a bunch of motions right before trial? Clearly they want to raise issues, but if they file 30 motions (typical for the defendants) Kollar may take a day or so to resolve them, so that evidence does not start until the Wednesday before t-tiving, and the trial not end till December 14. Also if USs lawyers take too much trial time, they may run past December 13, then what?

So yes, popcorn will be needed.

and a "PS" The initial bloomberg report http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...ger-trial.html suggests that Kollar set a schedule, aiming for a November 25 trial date. But she DECLINED to enter that date as a trial date, and instead ordered the parties to come back on October 1 for a status hearing.

I am curious what she really did, if its just a schedule, with a come back Oct 1, see if we can meet the tentative date, then the pressure is that much harder on US.

And I will add one more thing. DOJ values it reputation, and Kollar will expect, and the DOJ will do all it can to meet the schedule she set. They will not run out the clock, but they will document any delays by US, or problems created by US.

Last edited by spin88; Aug 30, 2013 at 11:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.