Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:20 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Kootur
So why is it ok for AA to prosper and US to fail but when people say AA will fail and US will prosper people lose it?

Wouldn't it be better for AA to be the size and scope of dl and UA and get rid cancer that is us air?

We all know US air is on borrowed time. So why not let AA merge with us air and get their European network and new airbuses and keep us air from going under and causing real harm in the market.

Like I said before People seem a-ok with letting us air die on the vine and not letting them merge with AA and they would rather have a weak aa than let their little snowflake be violated by Us.
Because US isn't under bankruptcy protection, and therefore their long-term prospects aren't an issue in this case.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by DCann
I'm sorry. I had come to understand that you were previously in favor of US Airways' takeover of American (it's not a merger by any stretch of the definition, look at the executive lineup as one of many indicators) - and now you speak of US Airways as a "cancer"?

Please clarify your position so we don't remain confused.
His position is payout to the pilots. After that check is cashed its all word salad... At first it was because Parker was a stand up guy, would do great things. Then it was that AA would fail absent a merger. Now its US will fail. All that is needed is Parkers great leadership (as he has admitted, producing profits by keeping pilot pay low) to fix things...
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So yes I'm still in favor of the merger and think it's the only way either airline will be relevant in the next 10 years.
Antitrust law doesn't concern itself with whether US or AA will be "relevant" a decade from now. All that matters is whether the merger is likely to substantially lessen competition in the here and now. That blocking the merger may lead to industry-wide chaos and a "destabilized" airline industry is irrelevant in an antitrust case. Irrelevant. As irrelevant as the color of Parker's eyes or his religion (or lack thereof).

That's why I'm so shocked they allowed 2 other similar mergers (3 if you can air tran/swa even though the doj doesn't) to happen and now have a problem with this one. Dal was the bigger more global airline that merged with the more regional nwa, UA was the bigger more global airline that merged with the more regional cal, now AA is the bigger more global airline that SHOULD be allowed to merge with the more regional us.
Failure to enforce the law in prior mergers doesn't result in a free pass for everyone that follows. Clearly the current antitrust enforcers believe that some of those prior mergers should have been blocked. And if they can convince the court that the current merger violates section 7, then the government wins, regardless of the prior mergers. Regardless of the anarchy that will follow a rejection of this merger.

And even if the prior mergers didn't lessen competition, reducing the industry from four big legacies (plus WN) to just three big legacies (plus WN) may have a more detrimental impact on competition than the earlier mergers, which did not result in as much market concentration as this one.

If you divorce emotion (and W-2 earnings) from the current situation, it's not rocket science. It's just antitrust law.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update from http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...-hearing.html/

In an order Thursday, U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly outlined what she wants each side to bring to court Friday.

Here’s what she spelled out, quoting from the order:
[...]

In the order, the judge sided with the U.S. Department of Justice on the number of interrogatories that each side must submit to: 10 from DOJ to each airline and 15 from the airlines to the DOJ.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scnzzz
Right now AA is protesting because they have an obligation to back the merger (I believe). And of course Horton is still eyeing a nice severance package - 20M or not. I would not be surprised if the AA tune changed again right after December 13.

Not from Parker, of course...
You're correct. There's a $195 million fee if they knowingly breach the merger terms (which requires them to do all the necessary to support the merger).

AA could break away before 13 December, but it would have to pay $135 million.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Analysis from http://www.thestreet.com/story/12022...s-details.html

In an order issued Thursday, Kollar-Kotelly appeared to be favoring a trial date on the earlier side. She called on the parties to "immediately begin serving written discovery to the extent possible." She added that the DOJ and the seven state attorneys general suing to block the merger would be permitted to propose up to 10 interrogatory questions to each of the two airlines. The airlines are allowed to propose up to 15 interrogatory questions to the plaintiffs DOJ and states collectively.

[...]

"The kinds of things she is asking -- how much information has already been collected, how much can be done in writing -- is all geared toward making the proceeding go faster," one antitrust source said. "She recognizes that giving the government the schedule it wants would put the deal in jeopardy but she's also concerned about letting the government get the information it needs."
Sounds fair and in keeping with her reputation.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
That's why I'm so shocked they allowed 2 other similar mergers (3 if you can air tran/swa even though the doj doesn't) to happen and now have a problem with this one. Dal was the bigger more global airline that merged with the more regional nwa, UA was the bigger more global airline that merged with the more regional cal, now AA is the bigger more global airline that SHOULD be allowed to merge with the more regional us.
"They" didn't allow both; the DL-NW merger happened under the prior administration, and their policies were unsurprisingly different. I'm a little surprised that UA-CO was allowed by the present administration, although there was probably a lot more carryover staff than there is now (and it was a midterm election year.)
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Most of the media are just reporting the truth- both AA and US need this if either is to survive.
Haven't both AA and US said that both airlines would survive if they didn't merge?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Haven't both AA and US said that both airlines would survive if they didn't merge?
Yes they did and their statements can and will be used against them in a court of law. See the quote from richarddd below for additional details.

Originally Posted by richarddd
From the DOJ press release:

The department’s complaint states that executives of both airlines have repeatedly said that they do not need the merger to succeed. The complaint states that US Airways’ CEO observed in December 2011, that “A[merican] is not going away, they will be stronger post-bankruptcy because they will have less debt and reduced labor costs.” US Airways’ executive vice president wrote in July 2012, that, “There is NO question about AMR’s ability to survive on a standalone basis.” And, as recently as January 2013, American’s management presented plans that would increase the destinations it serves in the United States and the frequency of its flights, and would position American to compete independently as a profitable airline with aggressive plans for growth.

Last edited by RDUpax; Aug 29, 2013 at 11:57 pm
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
Sounds fair and in keeping with her reputation.
I take a very different read from her order, and what is says. She wants FACTS, such as (1) what document discovery is needed, (2) what depositions are really need to get taken and why and (3) what experts there will be used (or likely used) and are they ready to go now?

Looking at US's schedule (posted by Terry Maxon) its crazy. DOJ asks for 50 depositions, US says 10. Kollar whats to know who would be deposed (I've been asked the same question as scheduling) and if DOJ has a list, they will get those. They were certainly be over 10.

Then US wants (1) witness lists due on September 27, yet discovery does not close until October 24. That is crazy, how can you know your witnesses (which includes depositions) until discovery is closed?

(2) US wants all discovery done in 7 weeks (by October 24). That is crazy. You need to be able to stage these things to some extent, you serve rogs, doc requests, then do depositions. I have NEVER seen a judge set a 7 week discovery period. It can't be done, unless DOJ can in all honestly give Kollar no real discovery it needs to do. This is why Kollar asked them to come with a list.

(3) Then US want's PLTs Expert reports due on October 7, 2013. This is impossible, unless the DOJs experts have already done their work. Its why Kollar asks about what work the experts have already done. And as a practical matter, the experts can't even start their reports until discovery is done, or nearly done. So if DOJ can identify things they need (depostions, documents, data) USs proposal will not fly.

(4) But showing that US's lawyers are not serious, they want their reports due on October 25. So they Jam DOJ and give themselves extra time? That will not fly. If they were serious (and were trying to argue it was due able) they would have bit the bullet and given themselves the same deadline as they are trying to stick DOJ with. That they did not, shows it is unreasonable.

I can see Kollar (if she wants to corner US's lawyers) asking US if they are prepared to provide their expert reports a week from now, and have them deposed a week after that, with anything they do not put in their reports being foreclosed from consideration by the Court.

(5) then they want DOJ to depose experts on reports that were provided on October 25 by November 4. That is patently unreasonable in a case involve economic analysis. DOJ will have to have their experts look at what US's experts have done, check the math, run the numbers, then prep DOJs lawyers for a deposition. Even rushing, this is a two to three week process. No reasonable judge would accept what US is suggesting.

(6) US has no date for rebuttal experts, which is a usual step. How they justify leaving that out is beyond me.

(7) then since USs schedule is so compressed, they want the trial to start 8 days after USs experts are deposed. Even with rushed transcripts (a day) there is no way to then have any motions filed on any expert, and there is a right to challenge experts under Daubert. In essence there can be no motions on USs experts. While its a bench trial, I find it hard to believe any judge would accept this schedule.

My guess is that Kollar will put DOJ to the test, but if they can present a reasonable discovery plan (so she believes they are not running out the clock) they she is not going to go with USs schedule. Instead she wants to make a record so that she can write an opinion that lays out a convincing case for the schedule she will enter. Her order is asking for that information, and anyone reading a preference of any schedule in her order does not understand how Court's work.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:39 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Yes, they SAY a lot of things....
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by DWFI
Clearly US's network planners are not optimistic:

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/28/u...ia-w13update2/
Give me a break!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
The funny thing is that the markets reaction today to "news" that the merger might not be dead [and as I and others have noted, this speculation is misinformed, and is missreading boilerplate language] does a great job of proving DOJs case. See e.g. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/airlin...195738522.html

noting that the chance to raise prices due to a AA/US merger perhaps going though caused their stocks to rise today.

How are US/AA going to be able to prove the opposite not only of what they have said in writing (consolidation leads to higher prices and higher fees) but what clearly the entire financial community believes? They can't, and as such can't win this lawsuit.
Let's just wait and see. You "wishing away" the merger will not stop it.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:04 pm

Yes, they SAY a lot of things....
There is a legal doctrine called "admissions" The idea is that if someone says something that is against their interest, it was probably true when said. That Parker, etc said things, has meaning, and will have a lot of impact on Judge Kollar. The notion that you were just running our mouth, taking freely in e-mails, making presentations, but hey, I take it all back... does not fly. These statements are what will kill them...

Let's just wait and see. You "wishing away" the merger will not stop it.
You are right, strange things happen. But I would not be betting on a merger if I were you. And as I noted above, I was initially for this merger. I have been convinced by he evidence that its actually quite bad for consumers and would result in higher prices. The Judge will be similarly convinced.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1k; MR Platinum; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hillrider
Then US assets and routes will be scooped up, cancer-free, by someone else (including AA and others, maybe another startup). Sounds like the best scenario for the 240,000,000 Americans who fly, although the 130,000? AA+US workforce will not get their immediate payouts -- including Horton's $20m.
I think that would be a nightmare scenario for some of the interested groups.

Claim we won't have twinkies anymore?
Hostess(/legacy interstate bakeries) goes under...

and... twinkies are back.

If there is money to be made, it will always get scooped up - often better, faster, stronger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.