Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1k; MR Platinum; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Lots of airline analysts and interwebs know-it-alls have said (repeatedly) that AA is too small to effectively compete against UA or DL.

Instead, it's mid-August, and things have ground to a halt.

This should be required reading. Seriously.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Still the legacy airlines not to mention a whole host of International carriers are courting a very small part of the traveling public, long haul paid permium. Even B6 is now jumped into the transcon portion of the market. To operate in the International arena you need a very robust worldwide route structure.

One of the problems with the US merger it still left the combined airline weak in Asia. I agree the merger did not solve AA's competitive issue completely and Parker was questionable as a CEO of an airline this size.

Remember if you are the travel manager at a multinational corporate you want your people to be able to go from point A to point B as quickly as possible. Its about keeping employees productive not well entertained by the modern IFE system. Sitting in LHR for a connecting BA flight means your employee is not on site, where you want him/her.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ADLFO
Not true. I pictured you with an A1-A5 boarding pass.
Nope. Fly them occasionally. I'm mostly a Kayaker, with the advantage of living in SEA, which means Kayaking on AS/AA/DL gives you AS status, but in the past 24 months I've flown AS, DL, WN, VX, AA, UA and US. ZOMG, you can survive airlines without the big F seat!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Worry about having a profitable operation first, and getting some labor peace (you're dreaming if you think that employees aren't going to want what they were going to get under Parker, and you kind of need happy employees as opposed to a "be thankful we don't fire you" environment of fear and loathing, so that will need to be resolved).
Labor peace could be a huge issue.

Don't forget that AA unions were violently anti-AA in the early days of the BK, and it's the unions who undermined AA by agreeing to a payoff from Parker. It's because of these agreements (plus a $20m payoff to Horton) that AA was cornered into accepting his "offer"; without them AA could have reemerged independent from the beginning.

I am sure that the folks who run AA have not forgotten this.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:20 pm
Suspended

What can the public do to stop the merger?

Does the whole merger question depend on a Federal judge now? Can members of the public write the judge to add their point of view?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by hillrider
This will be a huge issue.

Don't forget that AA unions were violently anti-AA in the early days of the BK, and it's the unions who undermined AA by agreeing to a payoff from Parker. It's because of these agreements (plus a $20m payoff to Horton) that AA was cornered into accepting his "offer"; without them AA could have reemerged independent from the beginning.
Since then, many of the most disgruntled took buyouts / retirement; more senior pilots, FAs have moved up from MD80 to 738, 319 and 321, 757/767 to 777, which better working conditions, job security --> less to gripe about. It also helps that AA is profitable, nobody likes to be on a losing team. After all is said and done, it is the AE pilots who have something to gripe about - the outsourcing to to OO and XY.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:30 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by diver858
Since then, many of the most disgruntled took buyouts / retirement;
Not according to the conversations I regularly have with FA's
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Quote:

Originally Posted by socalduck

+1

Ugh, do you have to quote the entire long post just to add a +1? (Sorry to single you out, others engage in this poor etiquette as well.)

Some of us are reading on small screens. That's a lot of scrolling.
You are right, my apologies!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by FedUp2
Does the whole merger question depend on a Federal judge now? Can members of the public write the judge to add their point of view?
Sure you can. But you won't know which one draws this case which is random as it should be. Your opinions and arguments are immaterial - also as it should be. Some technical litigation like securities under the 34 or 33 Act have civli remedies. Antitrust litigation does too. But here this is an initial step to stay or block the merger. It's a bench trial process with precise proof standards that are too diffuse and complicated for general discussion. The lead attorneys for US and AA will be drawing on experienced and qualified experts from consulting and public accounting firms - and those with industry expertise - to push back in this case.

The average EXP or PLT or GLD offers nothing as to credible and relevant or geographic market testimony so it's best to sit back and let it play.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:31 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by AATrout
Sure you can. But you won't know which one draws this case which is random as it should be.
The judge was already announced: Kollar-Kotelly
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:31 pm

Wonderful analysis post. You are consistently one of the sharpest minds around FT.

Just wanted to add that analyst never object to events that make lots of money for their employer (M&A) and actually don't shy away looking for targets. In any case, they mostly parrot management.

Fear not that if AA doesn't merge, all analysts will soon be singing praises for its standalone plan, its "progress", blah blah blah.
Hopefully Horton & Co. aren't drained and have already (re)started executing on the standalone AA plan, doing nothing more than the minimum contractually necessary to support Parker's nonsense. And hopefully he'll be able to retain stars like Virasb Vahidi that were fired by Parker.

Two very good posts.

This herd mentality of "we must grow bigger to match DL and COdbaUA" is becoming tiresome. Simple merger seems to substitute for the hard work of actually running a good airline that provides good attributes that attracts customers as "choice" flyers.

The US takeover of AA still won't yield a global network matching DL and COdbaUA-- rendering US/AA uncompetitive for corporate accounts that need to send staff worldwide.

I wonder just how many corporate accounts really need global airline coverage?

Last edited by Globehopper; Aug 15, 2013 at 10:06 pm Reason: Correct typo
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Globehopper
This heard mentality of "we must grow bigger to match DL and COdbaUA" is becoming tiresome. Simple merger seems to substitute for the hard work of actually running a good airline that provides good attributes that attracts customers as "choice" flyers.
I agree with this. The two most consistently profitable airlines in the industry are AS and WN. Both are "niche" players (as weird as it is to call an airline that boards as many passengers as WN does a "niche" player"), and very successful. AA+US was an interesting play, but I don't think it was the only one, and we've seen mergers work (DL+NW), and not work as well (UA+CO).

AA needs to do what it can well. I think the idea that they'll be the only airline with a true premium experience in the US (given that I think the writing is on the wall for UA to dump Global First) is interesting. Everyone harps on Asia, but they have valuable markets. They just need to get good at fundamentals (operations, employee relations), and I think good things will come of that.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Labor peace could be a huge issue.

I am sure that the folks who run AA have not forgotten this.
Haven't all the unions agreed to deals with AA as part of the bankruptcy process? That should buy them some time, at least.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Right.

AA serves 5 markets nonstop out of SAN. WN serves 19.

AA serves 7 markets out of BNA (cornerstones + LGA/DCA). WN serves 31.

AA serves zero markets out of OAK. (No, AS codeshares don't count.)

You should be getting the idea now. Yes, I know, in a forum where it's all about getting the upgrade and flying CX F on miles, everyone flying WN must be a country bumpkin, too ignorant to know better. Sorry for the intrusion.

Worry about having a profitable operation first, and getting some labor peace (you're dreaming if you think that employees aren't going to want what they were going to get under Parker, and you kind of need happy employees as opposed to a "be thankful we don't fire you" environment of fear and loathing, so that will need to be resolved). Then worry about growing. Growing market share without a profitable operation to work with is a recipe for disaster- it's what got airlines into bankruptcy over and over again the last 30 years.
And there are those that fly international, of which WN serves zero markets.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Worry about having a profitable operation first

AA is running a profitable operation now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.