Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:30 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ammassot
It is just a connection (4 hours), I booked EZE-HAN. Thank you again, I will definitively call the US and let you know how everything worked out.

UPDATE

Just spoken with the AAdvantage Gold Desk and the confirmed that the information I was provided with by AA is accurate; there is no one-way upgrade between EZE-NRT...
I think I may be applying the System Wide Upgrade rules to the that of the Miles + Co-Pay Upgrade awards.

Upon a closer read of the AA Upgrade Award Chart does indicate 2 awards would be required for the EZE-DFW-NRT flight when using miles + co-pay. A SWU would allow a upgrade EZE-DFW-NRT with one certificate.

This is an example of the subtle differences between an SWU and a Miles + Co-Pay upgrade.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Diamond,
Help! Looking for some advice. Flying from LIT to MEL in business (domestic F), tentatively 10/8-10/22. I've been watching fares for a while and all of a sudden, now that I'm ready to book, the AA fares have skyrocketed. I was originally going to just book through AA as I have an account, no longer status, and the AA Citicard. Was shooting for LIT-DFW-LAX-MEL and the reverse. It was running in the ~$7,500 range for 90 day advanced fare, but now all AA it's over $14k. When I look on ITA I can still fly AA domestic and the Qantas flight to MEL for about $7,500, but I have the following questions:

1) Can AA book this flight for me still, the whole route, without using the AA flight number on the Qantas flight? Primarily looking to be on a single reservation should there be any issues getting to LAX.

2) If I book the AA legs separate from the Qantas legs, is there a way to get the two linked up so I can check my bags all the way through?

3) If no to #2, I'm thinking I'd want to leave LIT on 10/7, and spend the night in LA to make absolutely sure I have enough wiggle room to make the 10/8 Qantas flight in case of weather, mechanical delays, etc.

4) What am I missing? I just want to fly, preferably, domestic F and Qantas J for around $8k or less. Really don't want to fly United given all the reviews on the LAX-MEL flights. Plus, I'd love to try the A380.

Please help! Hoping to book today, and feel like I'm missing something obvious!

Thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by thom1033
Help! Looking for some advice. Flying from LIT to MEL in business (domestic F), tentatively 10/8-10/22. I've been watching fares for a while and all of a sudden, now that I'm ready to book, the AA fares have skyrocketed. I was originally going to just book through AA as I have an account, no longer status, and the AA Citicard. Was shooting for LIT-DFW-LAX-MEL and the reverse. It was running in the ~$7,500 range for 90 day advanced fare, but now all AA it's over $14k. When I look on ITA I can still fly AA domestic and the Qantas flight to MEL for about $7,500, but I have the following questions:

1) Can AA book this flight for me still, the whole route, without using the AA flight number on the Qantas flight? Primarily looking to be on a single reservation should there be any issues getting to LAX.

2) If I book the AA legs separate from the Qantas legs, is there a way to get the two linked up so I can check my bags all the way through?

3) If no to #2, I'm thinking I'd want to leave LIT on 10/7, and spend the night in LA to make absolutely sure I have enough wiggle room to make the 10/8 Qantas flight in case of weather, mechanical delays, etc.

4) What am I missing? I just want to fly, preferably, domestic F and Qantas J for around $8k or less. Really don't want to fly United given all the reviews on the LAX-MEL flights. Plus, I'd love to try the A380.

Please help! Hoping to book today, and feel like I'm missing something obvious!

Thanks.
You should be able to check the bags through to MEL -- even on separate tickets -- as long as you show the AA agent at LIT a printout of your LAX-MEL ticket.

And you will be protected in the event of a misconnection, even on separate tickets:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You should be able to check the bags through to MEL -- even on separate tickets -- as long as you show the AA agent at LIT a printout of your LAX-MEL ticket.

And you will be protected in the event of a misconnection, even on separate tickets:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp
Excellent, thank you. So I'm going to comfortably book them as separate, but flying the same date.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've done that successfully I also had them to a "TCP" (To Complete Party") and "link" (referencing) my PNRs with annotations in case of misconnection. My favorite J seats in the QF A380 are 12E if flying solo...
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:38 pm

I am trying to book a one-way award from CDG to BOM. I found the following flights - CDG-AUH-BOM where CDG-AUH is flown by Etihad and AUH-BOM is flown by Jet Airways. Is it possible to book this award using 20K AA miles?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flltravel
I am trying to book a one-way award from CDG to BOM. I found the following flights - CDG-AUH-BOM where CDG-AUH is flown by Etihad and AUH-BOM is flown by Jet Airways. Is it possible to book this award using 20K AA miles?
Possibly, but you would have to call AA to do so.

CDG-TLV-BOM on El Al is another possibility, but again, a phone call to AA would be necessary.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Are you talking about booking an award ticket? If so, many of AA's partners (such as CX, MH, etc) are not bookable online, and you will need to call in to book and ask for availability. You may wish to sign up for a service like Expertflyer to check availability before calling. I would say that the best option is to know what's available and what you prefer before calling. Some AAgents will go the extra mile for you, and some won't.

But if you are indeed booking an award ticket, Christmas break tends to be a tough time for redemption.
Thank you. Yes, it would be award I was bored and was able to snag J/F to Hawaii over Christmas break on Milesaaver...so I may just do that for now
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by KPT
Sorry, what I was implicitly trying to ask was should I just go for the best seats in the cabin, assuming there will be someone sitting next to me regardless of where I pick?

It's 4 weeks out from departure, LGA-ORD-SJC and back.
Then I think you should tell us what aircraft is scheduled to operate those flights Also, we have aircraft-specific threads about best seats, all of which can be found in the FAQ.
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index..._and_Seats_(AA)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
(And others for the other aircraft types)

I know LGA-ORD is typically operated by either MD80 or 738. And since you mention 16 seats, those are the only possible aircraft except for the 75L, which I highly doubt is operating those routes (if it is, all the seats are the same anyway)

Here's my opinion: For the MD80, choose seats on the starboard side (those have more pitch than the seats on the port side). The bulkhead has a bit more legroom, but I'm not terribly tall and I still prefer to be able to stretch my legs under the seat in front of me time to time. Thus, my favorite seats are 4E and 5E (unless you prefer window, in which case my choice would be 4F and 5F). With online meal ordering, I don't care so much for FEBO, but that's also a reasonable way to pick seats.

On the 738, IIRC, both bulkheads have less legroom, but all other seats are identical on each side. My choice would be 4BE or 5BE, or the corresponding window. Or if odd numbered flight, perhaps row 6.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:23 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
It's S80 for LGA-ORD and 738 for ORD-SJC.

I've managed to secure 3F on the outbound and 3E on the inbound (both legs in same seat)
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Award travel on partners

It has been near impossible to get West Coast to Europe of AA metal with award (except BA). I have a couple of one way awards on hold. How does checkin work? Have Alaska to LAX and airberlin to DUS. When checking in with Alaska do I get boarding passes to both? What about checked bag, is it checked to DUS?
Similar question on return. Airberlin DUS to JFK and AA to SEA, does airberlin issue boarding passes to both and check bag to SEA. This is first time trying to use partners.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:46 pm

AAdvantage citi card free checked bag for spouse?

Hi, This is my first post regarding my issue I had with AA, I tried searching, but could not find an adequate response.

Late last I traveled with my Wife and was offered the AAdvantage citi master card with the fee waived for the first year.
So fantastic, I ordered the card, one for me and one for my wife as an authorized user. Then I created the AAdvantage account in my name (which cannot handle two names on the account)

Anyway, recently my wife went on a trip on her own and used AA, she used her credit card, but it would not let her use the AA advantage number on the account as the name obviously did not match.

The ticket was processed without issue, but at check-in they wanted to charge her the baggage fee.

After going through manual check in, they said that it must be booked with the card and the aadvantage number on the account.
She called me and I gave them the aadvantage account number. Eventually they waived the fee, but said that the account name has to match the credit card name.

Now I don't know what to do, how can associate her name with my account to avoid this problem in the future?

Do I have to create an empty Aadvantage account in her name? But would that the allow the joint credit card to work for the free checked bag or will she need an entirely new card. And if she uses her account, that means that any miles would go into hers, but purchases for the card would go into mine causing a mess.

Anybody else have aadvange with a spouse of family and how do you deal with this problem.

Also, please tell me if I should create a new thread for this topic.
Thank you,
Mikee
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkh29
It has been near impossible to get West Coast to Europe of AA metal with award (except BA). I have a couple of one way awards on hold. How does checkin work? Have Alaska to LAX and airberlin to DUS. When checking in with Alaska do I get boarding passes to both? What about checked bag, is it checked to DUS?
Similar question on return. Airberlin DUS to JFK and AA to SEA, does airberlin issue boarding passes to both and check bag to SEA. This is first time trying to use partners.
You should call AS and ask whether they have an "interline baggage agreement" with AB. I doubt that AS can issue an AB boarding pass.

On the return, AB should be able to issue your AA boarding pass, and check the bag through to SEA, but it hardly matters: you will still have to claim your bag at JFK for Customs inspection, and then re-check it at the AA bag drop just after Customs.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by mikee555
Hi, This is my first post regarding my issue I had with AA, I tried searching, but could not find an adequate response.

Late last I traveled with my Wife and was offered the AAdvantage citi master card with the fee waived for the first year.
So fantastic, I ordered the card, one for me and one for my wife as an authorized user. Then I created the AAdvantage account in my name (which cannot handle two names on the account)

Anyway, recently my wife went on a trip on her own and used AA, she used her credit card, but it would not let her use the AA advantage number on the account as the name obviously did not match.

The ticket was processed without issue, but at check-in they wanted to charge her the baggage fee.

After going through manual check in, they said that it must be booked with the card and the aadvantage number on the account.
She called me and I gave them the aadvantage account number. Eventually they waived the fee, but said that the account name has to match the credit card name.

Now I don't know what to do, how can associate her name with my account to avoid this problem in the future?

Do I have to create an empty Aadvantage account in her name? But would that the allow the joint credit card to work for the free checked bag or will she need an entirely new card. And if she uses her account, that means that any miles would go into hers, but purchases for the card would go into mine causing a mess.

Anybody else have aadvange with a spouse of family and how do you deal with this problem.

Also, please tell me if I should create a new thread for this topic.
Thank you,
Mikee
The free bag benefit applies only to the primary card holder (you) and anyone traveling with you on the same reservation. Being an authorized card holder is not enough. So your wife can't get the benefit when traveling alone.

The easiest solution would be for her to get her own card in her own name on a new credit card account. The downside is she'd have to pay the additional annual fee, but the upside, besides the free bags, is an extra 40K or 50K bonus miles.

In any case, whether you do this or not, she should have her own AA account to credit the miles for the flights she takes.

Welcome to FT.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by swag
The free bag benefit applies only to the primary card holder (you) and anyone traveling with you on the same reservation. Being an authorized card holder is not enough. So your wife can't get the benefit when traveling alone.

The easiest solution would be for her to get her own card in her own name on a new credit card account. The downside is she'd have to pay the additional annual fee, but the upside, besides the free bags, is an extra 40K or 50K bonus miles.

In any case, whether you do this or not, she should have her own AA account to credit the miles for the flights she takes.

Welcome to FT.
Thank you for the quick reply.

You reply make sense, however it does raise some other questions.

If she does get a credit card of her own as well as her own aadvantage account will I still be able to use my miles to to make a reservation for her, such that she could get the free baggage?

I have seen many posts stating that miles can be booked for anyone, but not one mentioned free baggage fees.
Obviously if she cannot get free baggage using my miles, (and I using hers) then for us the biggest benefit of the card, and sharing miles is gone.
I ask because the check-in representative they said that a flight had to booked with the same card and name as the AA account which would mean if I use miles then we are SOL.

On a different note, even when we traveled together or me alone, I could not select the single free bag (grayed out with only the second bag selectable) we had to go to another line with a representative which added at least half an hour to our registration process. Is this normal with the free baggage?

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.